Clutch pressure issues.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Clutch pressure issues.

Thanks a bunch. Worked great with the screwdriver and you were right about them not needing much to get loose. Hopefully I can drop off the flywheel at the trans shop I pass every day on my way to work tomorrow. Not sure how thick the clutch plate normally is but I would guess there was about 1-2mm of material left before it was going to start hitting rivets.
    Last edited by MegaHertz; 01-14-2013, 05:54 PM.
    96 White M5 Camaro. Manual everything. Magnaflow cat, dynomax dual outlet axle back. Swapped to a disc rear with 3.42s and a torsen differential, kyb gr2 rear shocks, moog rear endlinks.

Comment

Wow has it really almost been 2 months? So I think I finally have all the parts for reassembly. Flywheeel resurfaced (trans shop took .015 off - showed me the glazed portions where the steel had restructured under heat), new flywheel bolts, exedy stock clutch replacement kit from amazon (yes amazon, not a 3rd party seller - they even have parts matching), new slave from napa (which was what was leaking and causing my clutch pressure failure) with bearing on it (plastic parts on the bearing - exedy kit came with similar - not totally happy with putting plastic in my driveline). As the car has been offline i took the oppertunity to try to reduce some driveline/rearend rattles. Had new bushings pressed into the lca's and panhard by a local shop today (moog solid lca, energy poly for the panhard). Also have poly trans mount and torque arm bushing to go in with reassembly. Aluminum d/s to replace the 2 piece. Should be a good weekend for driveway work - looking at close to 50* for sat/sun.
      96 White M5 Camaro. Manual everything. Magnaflow cat, dynomax dual outlet axle back. Swapped to a disc rear with 3.42s and a torsen differential, kyb gr2 rear shocks, moog rear endlinks.

Comment

Also on hand - brand new lca and panhard bolts, poly torque arm mount, poly trans mount, longer trans mount bolts to make up for the extra thickness & steel bar stock to be cut as spacers. I think I paid 40 for the flywheel and 50 for bushing pressing cash. I know the bushing could/should be lower but one of the lca's was bent and they straightened it out so I'm happy with what I've spent in labor which is far less than if I had the cluth / slave done. Even more if i started adding in rear end diagnosis labor. We will see if this fixes the rear end issues or if the gr2's are really just crap and worn out after 2 yrs and 3k miles. Then again it could be worn springs and I think my bumpstops have fallen off so that might be part of it too.
        Last edited by MegaHertz; 03-08-2013, 10:05 PM.

Comment

Well seems I need a better torque wrench. I was starting to think that I was applying too much torque putting the flywheel back when I sheered the head off a bolt. Getting some new bolts and a set of bolt outs (I think there will be some of the shaft protruding to grip onto)(. Otherwise I'm going to drill it out and re tap.

edit: ordered bolt out and screw out type tools, more flywheel bolts and still looking for a decent torque wrench.
          Last edited by MegaHertz; 03-11-2013, 12:18 PM.

Comment

Make sure both the bolts and holes are clean and dry. Any grease, anti-seize, loctite, etc will lubricate the threads and cause more bolt stretch (bad) at the same torque value.
            Drivetrain Moderator - "There are no stupid questions, only stupid people!"

2001 Pewter Firebird Y87, M5
            Intake, exhaust, just about every suspension part, alum flywheel & ds, Turn One p/s pump and cooler

Go Sabres!

Comment

I will make sure to clean the bolts and especially the crank threads as I will liberally use penetrating oil to get this stuck bolt out. Who knows how many other bolts are over stretched and will break on removal. I got some of my broken fastener removal tools today - one of the 2 bolt out socket setss. Thing is amazon messed up the order (first time in probably close to 50 orders) and I got a tactical knife instead of the 2nd set of extractors, I'd keep it if it wasn't outlawed. Screw in type extractors coming from a different vendor should be here next week but I'll try these out this weekend.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by MegaHertz; 03-13-2013, 06:26 PM.

Comment

i didnt use a torque wrench while putting my flywheel bolts in because the same thing happened to me. I just went by feel, and used loctite.

i dont even remember the torque for the bolts, but it may even be in inlbs

Comment

My biggest mistake was not knowing how click type torque wrenches really work. You want to store them with the setting at around %20 and always back the torque down after setting/using it. The click type are very simple devices and need to be operated properly to have any sort of accuracy.

Comment

^^ Not a worry with good clickers. Our Metrology department supplies them adjusted to set torques for each assembly step, shrink wrapped to tamper proof them. Almost impossible to get one that's really adjustable. Get sent back for recalibration once a year. They don't go bad unless they were built with really cheap springs.
                    Drivetrain Moderator - "There are no stupid questions, only stupid people!"

2001 Pewter Firebird Y87, M5
                    Intake, exhaust, just about every suspension part, alum flywheel & ds, Turn One p/s pump and cooler

Go Sabres!

Comment

Well I put in a few solid frustrating hours trying to get the bolt out. It was pretty much flush with the crankshaft so the only thing to do was to drill it out. Started out ok (after I remembered the extractor bits run in reverse) until I went with too small an extractor and snapped that. So now I have a half cobalt, half steel or whatever the bolt is monstrosity. I got some new cobalt bits and went to town. Started with a small one for a pilot hole and was gradually enlargening it for the proper sized extractor. One step I went to far with the small bit and snapped it. So now there is a stuck piece of bit in there along with the extractor. The bigger cobalt bit doesn't do much. I have the larger hole (5/32) about a quarter inch in and it won't go anymore, just gets chewed up by the broken smaller bit stuck in there. What do I use to drill this out? Not sure what will cut through the cobalt stuff, diamond is harder but seems to be more for stone or glass. Anyone have any suggestions?
                      Last edited by MegaHertz; 04-30-2013, 06:23 PM.

Comment

Well finally got that bolt out today. I didn't even drill it out more, was just was slightly more aggressive tapping in the extractor with the hammer and got it to hold. Took 15 minutes, most of which was dragging out unneeded tools. Realizing I might be able to finish this with the broken bolt out of the way, (its been a while since I've had any desire to work on it) I replaced the slave cylinder. I cleaned the inside of the bellhousing best I could while it was off. Packed things up as I was loosing the sun but tomorrow is another day. Till then I'm going to re-read some of the write ups. Hopefully I remember which bolts went to what.

Comment

Finally started putting it all back together. Got the flywheel, clutch and pressure plate in. Trying to line up the trans and the last couple inches of getting it in are proving frustrating. Can't quite get it up high enough to clear the fingers on the pressure plate without hitting the body, might need another person to help maneuver it in there.

edit: considering loosening the engine mounts. I see one on either side of the engine. Should I just loosen the bolts or disconnect them completely? I need maybe a 3/4" drop and I should be able to line the trans up. I feel I'm forcing it too much and don't want to mess up the pressure plate splines.
                          Last edited by MegaHertz; 10-20-2013, 01:08 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                            Hello everyone!
                            by Andy H
                            Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                            3 weeks ago
                          • 3.4 slow to go
                            hey there strangers!
                            by 3.4 slow to go
                            been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                            3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X