Clutch pressure issues.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch pressure issues.

So I went to go run a couple errands tonight and when I started the car I couldn't get it out of first gear. With the clutch at the floor it was stuck in gear and would start moving if I took my foot off the brake. I added some fluid to the resivour (it was low and sludgy) and pumped the pedal and I got some pressure back, pedal rises 3/4 or so of the way up - enough for me to pull it in the driveway. I honestly don't know much about the clutch hydraulics. Everything seemed fine 2 nights ago but there was a funky smell after some spirited driving. Any suggestions of things to check tomorrow? Can I 'flush' the clutch fluid somehow as it's gunky?
    96 White M5 Camaro. Manual everything. Magnaflow cat, dynomax dual outlet axle back. Swapped to a disc rear with 3.42s and a torsen differential, kyb gr2 rear shocks, moog rear endlinks.

Re: Clutch pressure issues.

Did you check the fluid level again after you got the car back in the driveway? How old is the clutch?
    1997 Chevrolet Camaro
    L26, Pacesetter headers, SLP cai, Centerforce DF clutch, Pro 5.0 shifter, UMI short stick, 1le driveline, J&M 35mm front swaybar, UMI lca's/phb/sfc's, KYB AGX shocks, Hotchkis stb.

Comment

Fluid was still the same level in the driveway. No idea on clutch age but I haven't replaced it in the 8yrs 25k miles I've had it for.

Maybe the fluid was just too low and I sucked in some air. Probably should bleed it which sounds like a fun process.
      Last edited by MegaHertz; 10-28-2012, 07:32 AM.
      96 White M5 Camaro. Manual everything. Magnaflow cat, dynomax dual outlet axle back. Swapped to a disc rear with 3.42s and a torsen differential, kyb gr2 rear shocks, moog rear endlinks.

Comment

Its not so bad with a mityvac.
        1997 Chevrolet Camaro
        L26, Pacesetter headers, SLP cai, Centerforce DF clutch, Pro 5.0 shifter, UMI short stick, 1le driveline, J&M 35mm front swaybar, UMI lca's/phb/sfc's, KYB AGX shocks, Hotchkis stb.

Comment

There's also a bleeder valve on the drivers side of the bell housing. You can crack that open and add fluid while its bleeding out.

Comment

Little update. Haven't done anything other than pump the pedal when it looses pressure. Now it seems that the clutch only disengages at the very end of the pedal travel and the pedal doesn't spring back all the way. Fluid seems to be leaking somewhere as I had to add more yesterday. I'm thinking I have a leak somewhere I need to look for and possibly replace some one or both of the cylinders. Any ideas where to start looking?

Comment

I'd replace both master and slave given their age.
              Drivetrain Moderator - "There are no stupid questions, only stupid people!"

2001 Pewter Firebird Y87, M5
              Intake, exhaust, just about every suspension part, alum flywheel & ds, Turn One p/s pump and cooler

Go Sabres!

Comment

Originally posted by zlexiss View Post
                I'd replace both master and slave given their age.
                I agree

sounds like you need a new master/slave/steel braided line.

Abbott long tubes,homemade true duals,slp ram air,whisper lid,eibach springs,kyb shocks,BMR subframe connectors, BMR LCA reloc brackets,BMR LCAs. T-top/manual converted

Comment

It's definitely leaking from somewhere. Keep loosing my fluid and then pedal pressure and it's a pain to get it back at all as I'm not bleeding it so it takes a while for bubbles to work out and then when you think it's working it stops on you. Not driving it anymore till it's fixed. Not gonna risk breaking my tranny or worse rpm matching all the shifts till I can park and try to get the pedal back. I wish I had time to deal with this when there wasn't snow in the driveway. I'm not really looking forward to dropping the tranny in this weather. I feel like as long as I'm doing that I might as well do the clutch parts too. I guess it's going off the road for a few weeks as I gather parts and hope for a warm streak (something I usually never do in the winter as a snowboarder).

That being said reccomendations on clutches? Can you still get the GM throwout bearing? Flexplate - resurface or new?
                  Last edited by MegaHertz; 12-31-2012, 03:30 PM.

Comment

Your stock so might as well get a stock clutch with the TB and I would go new flexplate. I would get a new master and slave while your at it.
                    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

check Ebay for the parts you may be able to find an assembled unit for the hydraulics

Comment

I will be doing a new slave while everything is apart. Even if that's not what is leaking I don't want to have to drop the tranny again for clutch stuff for a while.

Anyone have experience using one of those transmission adapters for regular floor jacks? I don't really want to spend the money for a dedicated trans jack.

Comment

Originally posted by MegaHertz View Post
                          I will be doing a new slave while everything is apart. Even if that's not what is leaking I don't want to have to drop the tranny again for clutch stuff for a while.

Anyone have experience using one of those transmission adapters for regular floor jacks? I don't really want to spend the money for a dedicated trans jack.
                          I have taken the trans out of my camaro 3 times, and out of my other camaro twice, and I have never needed to use an adapter for my floor jack.

you dont really need one, but the one from performance tool in the summit magazine looks pretty nice, I wouldnt get one of the ones that just look like a piece of sheet metal

Comment

I was originally planning on just using the floor jack but then reading about transmission removals I realized were the tranny to slip it could be dammaged or cause injury. Where do you position the jack when you've used a floor jack. Did you have help? I've considered just welding something out of angle iron in an x fashion with a post to fit the floor jack hole.

Comment

Originally posted by MegaHertz View Post
                              I was originally planning on just using the floor jack but then reading about transmission removals I realized were the tranny to slip it could be dammaged or cause injury. Where do you position the jack when you've used a floor jack. Did you have help? I've considered just welding something out of angle iron in an x fashion with a post to fit the floor jack hole.

thats very true, our transmissions are fairly heavy since you have to take it off with the bellhousing,

i put the jack under the trans and a little forward to balance it out, but once you get the right angle on the trans it will literally slide out.

some people will leave two bolts in on the bellhousing very loosly so they can slide the trans out and get the right angle without having to worry about it just falling out of the car

if you have a welder I would recommend just fabing something up for you to use, you could just bend up a piece of thick steel and drill some holes and put a chain around the trans to bolt up to the other side, that was it has less of a chance of falling on the ground

the last time i put the trans back in i just picked it up and muscled it in since it was hard for me to get the right angle

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                                Hello everyone!
                                by Andy H
                                Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                                2 weeks ago
                              • 3.4 slow to go
                                hey there strangers!
                                by 3.4 slow to go
                                been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                                3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X