98 3.8 Vibration in park and drive with foot on brake - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

98 3.8 Vibration in park and drive with foot on brake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 98 3.8 Vibration in park and drive with foot on brake

Firebird 98 3.8 v6 auto Car vibrates the dash apart when at a stop light with my foot on the brake. Shift into neutral, foot on brake, still vibrates. Foot on brake and rev up to 1000rpms and the vibration disappears. The rpms dont bounce when its vibrating. Sometimes the vibration feels like a pulsating. Still you would think the RPMS would pulse but they dont. Theres no vibration during driving, just while stopped. When I shift into different gears, the vibration lets up while it shifts and then starts again.

Coil packs and ECM plugs and wires are all brand new.
    Motormounts and trans mount are new.

ideas?

Re: 98 3.8 Vibration in park and drive with foot on brake

Vacuum leak maybe.
    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Can you take a video or anything?
      Wait, Is that a V6 or V8?
      1990 Chevrolet C-K 1500 series 4.3L .. 5spd
      1994 JDM Euno Roadster 1.8L 5spd Bolt Ons.. etc
      2000 Camaro 3.8L Auto Bolt Ons..etc

Comment

I dunno that a video would show vibration. The RPMS dont move unless I shift the trans or rev on the gas so that makes me think its not an idle problem. Im not throwing any codes. its just wildly annoying. It vibrates the seats and change in my ashtray.
        What kind of vacuum leak? EGR?

Comment

Might check the condition of the rubber on the harmonic balancer.

Comment

i have the same prob . idk what it is so i just drive like that i do throw a code tho for mr my bank 2 sensor isnt operating righ for some reason.

Comment

Originally posted by techsan23 View Post
              Might check the condition of the rubber on the harmonic balancer.
              X2 I forgot about that, mine was pretty bad when it went out.
              08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
              96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

i just got done cleaning my throtle body like 2 hours ago. and it some what stoped , also it only starts when i drive alot and the engine starts to operate at 210 temp.

Comment

Originally posted by FIREBIRDV6RAGE View Post
                  i just got done cleaning my throtle body like 2 hours ago. and it some what stoped , also it only starts when i drive alot and the engine starts to operate at 210 temp.
                  Mines different. It will vibrate with the engine cold or hot. Doesn't change w engine temp or length of operation. I forgot to say I did an L26 swap n left the L26 balancer on. Could that be the source?

Comment

Originally posted by Ratchet View Post
                    Mines different. It will vibrate with the engine cold or hot. Doesn't change w engine temp or length of operation. I forgot to say I did an L26 swap n left the L26 balancer on. Could that be the source?
                    Did you do a case relearn with the L26 balancer?

Comment

Originally posted by ssms5411 View Post
                      Did you do a case relearn with the L26 balancer?
                      No didnt do a case relearn Ill call and see how much that costs at the dealer.. Could it be the torque converter? Maybe i need to rotate it on the flexplate? I didnt mark them when I took them apart, so maybe they are off balance?
                      Last edited by Ratchet; 11-03-2012, 12:58 PM.

Comment

maybe its your tires. JK
                        I dont think the flexplate and TC can be installed incorrectly. does the harmonic balancer shake\wobble when the motor is running? did this start immediately after your l26 swap. i dont believe the CASE learn will be beneficial. in my experience, when a case learn is needed. it will either give you a legitimate misfire. that would leave a code. or not physically effect the way it runs but still give you a code. p0300 multiple cylinder misfire.... my experience with case learns is only with s10's though.

Comment

Originally posted by thebeewantsboost View Post
                          maybe its your tires. JK
                          I dont think the flexplate and TC can be installed incorrectly. does the harmonic balancer shake\wobble when the motor is running? did this start immediately after your l26 swap. i dont believe the CASE learn will be beneficial. in my experience, when a case learn is needed. it will either give you a legitimate misfire. that would leave a code. or not physically effect the way it runs but still give you a code. p0300 multiple cylinder misfire.... my experience with case learns is only with s10's though.
                          its not my tires. it smoothes out at 1000rpms. If I sit in park and put my foot on the gas and get the rpms past 1000 it stops vibrating. It started right after the swap and has gotten worse. Ive noticed when sitting on an incline its worse. The balancer shows no movement when looking at it while running.

Comment

My car is still vibrating like crazy. Here is everything i have fixed since this thread was started.
                            New Harmonic balancer (98-02 balancer)
                            New Transmission mount
                            New Plugs and wires
                            New Fuel filter
                            Rotated the flexplate to see if that changed the vibration didnt help.
                            Also inspected the flexplate for stretched bolt holes. They are fine.
                            Took the serpentine belt off and it didnt change the vibration.
                            Checked the exhaust and its not touching the body.
                            Car has new motor mounts, motor doesnt move under acceleration. Mounts have been double checked to be tight and bolted down correctly.
                            Car vibrates no matter what gear its in.
                            Car does NOT vibrate while going down the road.
                            Only vibrates at a stop with the foot on the brake or at a stop in park. If i rev the engine in park/Drive at a stop over 1000k the vibration goes away.
                            Im at wits end with this thing. I drive it 100miles daily to work so it isnt hurting the reliability, its just annoying and embarassing to be vibrating at every light and stop sign.
                            I jacked it up lastnight and started it and when i put my hand on the transmission pan you can feel the vibration, but its stronger on the engine oil pan. I even took the dust cover off the flexplate and watched it spin and its not wobbling.
                            Im not getting codes or and SES light. This has me stumped.

Next things to check are fuel injectors and cat converter. Any other ideas guys??
                            Last edited by Ratchet; 08-05-2013, 09:58 AM.

Comment

Again, did you do a case relearn on it?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                                Had to get another phone
                                by ssms5411
                                Well my iPhone 11 Pro Max took a dump, it’s in a boot up loop, will try and get it fixed and give it to my mom. So I got a new iPhone 15 pro max, everything...
                                1 week ago
                              • ssms5411
                                Leaking front cover
                                by ssms5411
                                So I’m still leaking coolant, I think it’s my front cover, going to double check when it’s alittle warmer, got the Zzp extra thick timing cover...
                                2 weeks ago
                              • transamtom1
                                Went to look at 2002 V6 Firebird Vert.
                                by transamtom1
                                Local car on a small lot just over 100k mikes(178,000 kms)

Silver with grey leather and black top 3.8L for $5400 cdn or $3975 usd as is....
                                3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X