98 3.8 Vibration in park and drive with foot on brake - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

98 3.8 Vibration in park and drive with foot on brake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 98 3.8 Vibration in park and drive with foot on brake

Originally posted by ssms5411 View Post
    Again, did you do a case relearn on it?
    Yes. That was done with the new balancer.
    Also took it to the muffler shop just to be sure and had them test the converter. They said it checked out fine.
    Last edited by Ratchet; 08-05-2013, 03:04 PM.

Comment

Idle air control? Or a similar vacuum leak

Comment

Originally posted by Ibanezz View Post
        Idle air control? Or a similar vacuum leak
        Wouldnt I be throwing a code if it was either one of those? Ive looked to see if the engine or trans was hitting the body anywhere and unless the transmission or back of the engine is hitting back there where I cant reach, Im stumped.

Since this post Ive had the fuel injectors cleaned and fuel filter replaced. Im averaging 26mpg on the highway and 20 around town. If I was misfiring you would think my mpg would be suffering.

Comment

Dude, my 2000 firebird does the same exact thing. Or incredibly similar to what you describe. I've tried almost everything to fix it as well.

My ride shakes and vibrates a different amount every day kinda. Somedays she’s smoother running than others. Generally tho it still get the loose change rattle or inside plastic molding rattle. I’d think the SoCal weather wouldn’t have an affect but Idk. Idc She still runs damnit. And she is always needing some TLC somewhere. I can’t believe I’ve had this car for 10 years now.

At 126600 miles, My car burns thru and leaks around 1/2 a quart or so of oil every 3000 miles. I top it off every 1500 miles. I know the pistons and valve seals will never be like new again. She puffs a slight plume out the tailpipes on startup.

After years now I just live with it. Spent hours of reading/researching. I’ve concluded the idle quality is not going to go away easily. For me, it’s a compression thing. That plus maybe mix in with one or two older stock emission parts (EGR, IAC). Do a compression test or have a shop do one. You can YouTube how to do it if you are feeling up to it. Just my suggestive advice.
          Heady Navy Blue Metalic<br />Heady Catback Flowmasters<br />Heady Bilstien HDs, PAnhard rod, LCAs,SFCs<br />NGK\'s and MSD Wires, K&N flowin + Smooth Bellow<br />Y87 3800 GT Performance.<br />I love the way this car makes turns!<br /><br />1989 black Camoaro RS. R.I.P.

Comment

I had the same problem years ago with my camaro. I kept a list of all the things I did and replaced and finally discovered it was the exhaust system causing all the vibration. I replaced all the rubber hangers. Some were very brittle due to the heat and age.

Comment

Everything I've read sounds like a p102 Maf sensor. They are high dollar like 160 new 95 rebuilt. So if you had a known "good" one perhaps swap it out even though you have no code see what that does. I'm not suggesting with no code to spend 160 dollars on a theory but if you can swap for a known good one free go for it. 3.8's are known for Maf sensor probs which like the iac controls your idle and most vital info to the computer. If it fails it will drive you nuts chasing down plugs wires icm pcm o2 sensors vacume leaks etc etc. Imho.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                Hello everyone!
                by Andy H
                Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                2 weeks ago
              • 3.4 slow to go
                hey there strangers!
                by 3.4 slow to go
                been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
              Working...
              X