DIY diff/gear swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY diff/gear swap

Anyone have somebsort of write up? Or it is really as simple as it seems?
    Car is a 2000 Y87 5speed, which I think has 3.23's, and I'm changing to 3.42's. I should be good right? I've got the whole carrier with gear rings and good bearings, well oiled. Any helps would be great guys.

Re: DIY diff/gear swap

Edit: Thought you were swapping the rear not just the gears.
    Last edited by MegaHertz; 08-02-2012, 09:25 AM.
    96 White M5 Camaro. Manual everything. Magnaflow cat, dynomax dual outlet axle back. Swapped to a disc rear with 3.42s and a torsen differential, kyb gr2 rear shocks, moog rear endlinks.

Comment

http://www.pcmforless.com/index.php?...ches&Itemid=56

I've been wanting to change out my open diff 3.08 for a posi and 3.73's or a little taller, but I need to gather some funds instead of blowing it all on other stuff...

Comment

Looking at the ones on that write-up, the one I've got looks nothing like that. Not sure it would be a good idea to install this thing... mostly the springs on the inside, mine doesn't have those.
        Last edited by Docta; 08-01-2012, 09:38 PM.

Comment

The springs are just a part of the Eaton posi unit. If you're just changing out the carriers, then you need to make sure the ring gear on the "new" carrier will work with the pinion in the rear end.
          Last edited by bigairboarder44; 08-01-2012, 09:55 PM.

Comment

Let me get a pic up for what I've got, Mayne that will clarify. Because I think I've got everything needed.

Is there a way to tell if its a LSD by the part number on it, or by looking etc?

Comment

You should have the LSD since your car is a Y87. If you want to make sure, you can jack up the rear end (to get the wheels off the ground) and spin one wheel. If the other wheel goes the same way, it's an LSD; if it rotates the opposite way, you've got an open differential.

Comment

Well I know my car has LSD, because I've got the RPO code and Y87. I was wondering about the new differential. I've got the whole carrier and all.

Comment

Everything from what I see looks clean, ans in good shape. I was told it was LSD, and its got a GM part #. Will I need anything else?

Comment

You'll probably need an assortment of shims to set the backlash.
                    96 White M5 Camaro. Manual everything. Magnaflow cat, dynomax dual outlet axle back. Swapped to a disc rear with 3.42s and a torsen differential, kyb gr2 rear shocks, moog rear endlinks.

Comment

The diff in the pictures is an open diff. You will need to swap the ring gear from that carrier onto your old unit if you want to have a LSD. Also, make sure you install the pinion that came with the ring gear; they are a matched set. It isn't hard to do, but I would suggest getting someone who has done a few diffs to help you; you only need to miss one important step and you will end up with a rear end full of metal bits.

Comment

Originally posted by MegaHertz View Post
                        You'll probably need an assortment of shims to set the backlash.
                        Yeah, I would suggest buying an install kit, since you will probably need shims for the carrier, and maybe for the ring gear (although you probably won't). Also you need to install a new crush sleeve every time you change pinions; the install kit should include one.

Comment

Where do I get the install kit? And you're saying I need to pull the guts out of the old one and keep It with the new gear ring?

Comment

You can get the install kit on ebay (I don't know about quality) or any speed shop should have a kit.

EDIT: Here's one from Texas Speed - http://www.texas-speed.com/p-197-rat...5-10-bolt.aspx
                            Last edited by bigairboarder44; 08-02-2012, 04:47 PM.

Comment

So really I need to pull the gear ring off, and replace the pinion, with both of them from the replacement diff? And then the backlash is the part that'll get me.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                                Hello everyone!
                                by Andy H
                                Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                                2 weeks ago
                              • 3.4 slow to go
                                hey there strangers!
                                by 3.4 slow to go
                                been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                                3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X