Trans fluid change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trans fluid change

So i've noticed on longer drives the shift stick starts to get rather warm and on my last trip i heard a slight whine which seemed to be coming from under the shifter (my rear does whine a little but this was a new whine). I plan on changing out the fluid in my T5 tonight (not a flush tho). What is the best way to drain? Jack up front and remove the drive shaft or put a hose in the fill hole and pump out?
    96 White M5 Camaro. Manual everything. Magnaflow cat, dynomax dual outlet axle back. Swapped to a disc rear with 3.42s and a torsen differential, kyb gr2 rear shocks, moog rear endlinks.

Re: Trans fluid change

I've always used a siphon pump to pump the trans fluid out, and back in.

Comment

My T-5 has a drain plug? It's a 3/8s....

Comment

Drain plug would be so much better. I haven't even gone to look for the fill plug yet. Where is said drain plug? (Haven't really looked for it yet)
        96 White M5 Camaro. Manual everything. Magnaflow cat, dynomax dual outlet axle back. Swapped to a disc rear with 3.42s and a torsen differential, kyb gr2 rear shocks, moog rear endlinks.

Comment

I'll get a picture if I can later. Mine is passenger side, set 6" under the fill.

Comment

I found it - figured I'd change the engine oil while i was at it as well. Took me way longer to drag the tools and supplies out of the garage than to actually change the fluids (I'm glad I picked up a transfer pump - $12 well spent). Took it for about a 15 mile test drive after. Tranny was rather warm when I got back. Differential was even warmer (guessing somewhere between 140* and 160*). I went to check the fluid level and it came spurting out so I jacked up the fill side a bit more and refilled what I could with lucas oil stabalizer. I'm don't think the used rear end I got and put in was in great shape (had a leaking pinion seal which I had fixed but who knows how long it was run with little fluid in it). It's now a guessing game of what dies first - the tranny or the differential. Really bad timing as I'm getting married in under a month and need the car do pick up fiance from airport and go on honeymoon and breaking down would kinda suck in either situation.
            Last edited by MegaHertz; 07-18-2012, 08:14 PM.

Comment

So I decided I might as well take the cover off the differential and put new fluid in as the old stuff smelled nasty. I was greeted with quite the collection of filings on the magnet. Also I'm kicking myself for not taking pictures of it when I put it in. Would be nice to gauge the wear since then. Found specs of the old rtv so I scraped that off and put a new layer on. Was quite tricky to maneuver the cover on without dropping the panhard (I think thats what the big diagonal suspension bar is called). From what I could see the wear seemed to be concentrated on the ring and pinion interface. I'll post some pics and go and get my usb cable out of the car in a few. The thing always whined since I put it in last fall but got much worse after a long drive on the highway this past weekend and is now more of a whir than a whine if that makes any sense (pitch is lower but louder - directly proportional to wheel speed and sounds to be coming from the back)was the longest since it went in). The differential gets warmer than I would hope after a 10 mile drive with a mix of 45 and 65 zones so I'm guessing on the 130 mile each way drive last weekend cooked the oil and started to wear more quickly. I guess I should go get that cable and put up the pics as I can't think of anything else to describe whats going on.

Comment

Pics are here - http://imgur.com/a/XijS1
                I'm thinking I need a new ring/pinion and will have everything installed correctly by a local transmission shop. Hopefully the LSD is still ok.
                Last edited by MegaHertz; 07-19-2012, 09:39 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                  Had to get another phone
                  by ssms5411
                  Well my iPhone 11 Pro Max took a dump, it’s in a boot up loop, will try and get it fixed and give it to my mom. So I got a new iPhone 15 pro max, everything...
                  1 week ago
                • ssms5411
                  Leaking front cover
                  by ssms5411
                  So I’m still leaking coolant, I think it’s my front cover, going to double check when it’s alittle warmer, got the Zzp extra thick timing cover...
                  2 weeks ago
                • transamtom1
                  Went to look at 2002 V6 Firebird Vert.
                  by transamtom1
                  Local car on a small lot just over 100k mikes(178,000 kms)

Silver with grey leather and black top 3.8L for $5400 cdn or $3975 usd as is....
                  3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                Working...
                X