Geads and speedo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Geads and speedo

Greetings everyone! I have a few quick questions that hopefully some of you can answer for me. First, how many more rpm's will I be turning at oh, say 60 after changing from 3.08s to 3.73s? Will the difference be consistent at all speeds? And also, how do I go about recalibrating the speedometer? I picked up a complete rear axle from a 94 Formula that's been freshened up and has 3.73s, and I'm thinking about throwing it under my 97 when I redo the suspension in a few weeks... thanks in advance for any help : )

Re: Geads and speedo

Oh hey I have an automatic, btw- sorry I forgot to mention that lol

Comment

And I misspelled gears 'cuz I have big thumbs and a small phone grr...

Comment

you will need to reprogram the pcm with a mail order tune or find someone with hptuners to program it for you.
        http://www.bowtiev6.com/

Comment

Can I not have it done at a dealership?

Comment

the dealership thing was with a y87 vin as that had 3.42s if you had gone to 3.42s, with the 3.73s you will need the pcm tuned with hptuners or mail order.
            http://www.bowtiev6.com/

Comment

Ok, I had read somewhere about the dealer using the VIN from a different car, but I wasn't sure whether or not their programming was limited to just factory ratios. I guess I will have to wait a little while to do the swap. Anyway, what about the rpm difference? I road trip this thing a LOT, so hopefully it won't kill my mileage too bad. I'm guessing about 4 or 500 more, but idk..

Comment

If your going to have the PCM tuned at the dealership you might as well buy your own HP Tuner's. They are prob going to charge an arm and a leg, couple of good mail-order tunes out there (pcmforless, zzperformance, texasspeed).

Comment

Originally posted by 30thAnniversarySixer View Post
                  Greetings everyone! I have a few quick questions that hopefully some of you can answer for me. First, how many more rpm's will I be turning at oh, say 60 after changing from 3.08s to 3.73s? Will the difference be consistent at all speeds? And also, how do I go about recalibrating the speedometer? I picked up a complete rear axle from a 94 Formula that's been freshened up and has 3.73s, and I'm thinking about throwing it under my 97 when I redo the suspension in a few weeks... thanks in advance for any help : )
                  If you don't reprogram the PCM, you will need to calculate the individual speed values. I used a piece of masking tape with the new numbers until I got mine reprogrammed.

Your actual speed will be about 20% LOWER than indicated. For example, 70 on the gauge is actually about 56mph, 60 is 48, 50 is 40, 40 is 32, etc.

Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com "Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Comment

Right- I'm not too worried about the speedo per se, I'm more concerned about it messing up the way the car shifts... too bad its not a 5 speed

Comment

My cousin knows a guy that does HPtuner- he did her tahoe- sucks that he lives 3 hrs away, but I'm gonna get a hold of him and see if he has the program for my car

Comment

You'll have some problems since your a auto, I would have your pcm tuned before hand so it doesn't break anything.
                        08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                        96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                          Hello everyone!
                          by Andy H
                          Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                          2 weeks ago
                        • 3.4 slow to go
                          hey there strangers!
                          by 3.4 slow to go
                          been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                          2 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X