Short Shifter and Reverse Interlock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Short Shifter and Reverse Interlock

Hi, everyone. So I just installed the Pro 5.0 and it shifts great. However, it seems that the 5th-to-reverse lock-out has been defeated with this shifter.

With the stock shifter on, there is a mechanism that prevents the reverse gear from being accessible going directly from 5th gear. When I first went through the gears just sitting with the engine off I noticed there is no longer this interlock feature, which just comes as a surprise to me.

Is it like this for all of you with aftermarket shifters?

(It's not that I'm concerned that I would somehow absent-mindedly chew up reverse mistakenly shifting from 5th to reverse. I would just like to have the piece-of-mind that it can't be done by some joker, in the event anyone else but me would drive the car.)

Can you shift straight from 5th to the reverse position with your short-throw shifters??

Re: Short Shifter and Reverse Interlock

I could with my stock shifter?

Comment

I have a B&M ripper in my '00 and I dont remember being able to shift straight from 5th to reverse, but then again its been a year and a half since Ive driven it so I dont really remember.
      3M MAFIA
      ________
      | Dynomax Catback | Auburn Posi | 3:42s | B&M Ripper | DIY CAI | PVC Mod |
      Next on the list: GT2 Cam| 105# Springs |Headwork| Headers |
      sigpic

Comment

My stock shifter goes from 5th to reverse as well. I don't think there is a safety or lock out like some other cars have.
        aka FreedStyle
        Chaddrich Freed

(1 of 443) 2002 SLP Firebird GT #107 (244rwhp/254rwtq naturally aspirated)
        2008 Silverado Crew Cab 5.3L 4x4

Comment

Originally posted by Docta View Post
          I could with my stock shifter?
          I don't think so. I would have double checked before taking off the stock one but it never occurred to me. I don't think it would let you.

Comment

While moving, no. But when I'm stopped I always go 5th to reverse.

Comment

And you have a hurst right? What about on the stock one?

Comment

I've done that since I got the car, stock to the bone.

Comment

No kidding... Well thank you, sir! At least it's normal then.

Comment

If I'm driving, it won't go into reverse from any gear though. No problem, just here to help

Comment

Originally posted by Docta View Post
                      If I'm driving, it won't go into reverse from any gear though. No problem, just here to help
                      Are you saying there is some kind of active control in the trans that blocks access to reverse while the car is moving? If not, what do you mean?

Comment

in my car, sometimes i actually hafta put it in 5th before it will go into reverse, you also can't be moving at all, or it will grind so obviously if you're in any gear moving... you should be safe

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty Rotors View Post
                          Are you saying there is some kind of active control in the trans that blocks access to reverse while the car is moving? If not, what do you mean?
                          That's exactly what I'm saying.

Comment

well i have a a t5 with a b&m short throw and i mine goes from 5th to reverse with no problem. but if ur moving it will grind like a mofo. now as for a lock out im not 100% sure but i do know that on the t56 you have to do something to get it into reverse cuz my brother has 1 in his lt1 and he has a lock out so he cant go from 4th to reverse. also with my short throw its not hard to put it in 5th but u have to apply more presure that the stock shifter but 1-4 glides w.o a problem

Comment

Originally posted by thebeewantsboost View Post
                              in my car, sometimes i actually hafta put it in 5th before it will go into reverse, you also can't be moving at all, or it will grind so obviously if you're in any gear moving... you should be safe
                              But that's exactly what is not safe. I know it's not physically possible to engage reverse while moving in 5th... I mean I would like there to be something there to prevent grinding down the spurs on the reverse gears.

SKS is right; I know the T-56 has it but I've never heard that about the T-5 in our cars.
                              Last edited by Rusty Rotors; 07-12-2012, 04:59 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                                Hello everyone!
                                by Andy H
                                Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                                3 weeks ago
                              • 3.4 slow to go
                                hey there strangers!
                                by 3.4 slow to go
                                been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                                3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X