5 or 6 Speed Auto Possible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5 or 6 Speed Auto Possible?

Just curious, is it possible to put a 5 or 6 speed auto in our cars and have it actually work? Since newer cars, even 4-cylinder ones, routinely come with 6-speed autos, I can see putting a 6-speed auto in my car someday when the transmission goes. Would the PCM have to be prograamed? Or does the transmission have a brain of its own? Is there a 5 or 6 speed version of the 4L60E that exists?
    2002 Silver Firebird A4<br />T-Tops, Leather, Y87, W68, Chrome Wheels<br />Bone Stock

Re: 5 or 6 Speed Auto Possible?

You'd probably need a trans computer and then the 6L80E's are larger and heavier.

Comment

I've seen people use the 6 speed autos in swaps, but never a 4th gen. Really not worth the time/cost/energy to make that work. It's not like the A4 is deficient in gearing.
      <a href=\"http://www.fullthrottlev6.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.fullthrottlev6.com</a><br /><a href=\"http://www.chitownracing.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.chitownracing.com</a>

Comment

What I'm thinking is using the higher gears of the 6-speed to enable 4.56 or higher gears and still keep the RPM's down at cruise and the acceleration up.
        2002 Silver Firebird A4<br />T-Tops, Leather, Y87, W68, Chrome Wheels<br />Bone Stock

Comment

In my 6.0 truck it has 3.73 gears and with the 6 speed auto its only at 2000 rpms at 75 mph, so its doing well with the gearing. It would be bad a$$ to see one in a 4th gen.
          08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
          96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

If the bellhousing doesn't work with a 4L60E bellhousing for the V6, I'm willing to bet the Mal Wood T-56 bellhousing to V6 block adapter would work great with a 6L80E, but you'd have to deal with the added 1/4-1/2" of added spacing between and I'm not sure the 'verter would mount to the trans properly then. If you have the money to swing a 6L80E though, then you should be able to get your hands on the rest of the equipment. Getting it to play nicely with the rest of the car is another game entirely and it is still a big transmission.
            Last edited by WarShrike; 01-06-2012, 10:45 AM.

Comment

Sounds like something that is probably not worthwhile then, unless you're really into fabrication. I was just wondering if this is something that, while not plug and play, would be not too complex. Good info though, thanks folks.

Comment

Also - I dont believe 6th gear in the 6L80E's will save you much more in fuel than the 4L60E's, the 6th gear is still much taller than the 6th gear in their manual counterpart. I believe they were built to keep the engine within closer range of its tourque curve more than anything else.
                1997 Camaro RS W/T-Tops<br />All Stock / 200 HP

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                  Hello everyone!
                  by Andy H
                  Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                  2 weeks ago
                • 3.4 slow to go
                  hey there strangers!
                  by 3.4 slow to go
                  been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                  3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                Working...
                X