Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rear end question

Hey guys,

So I went to a local junkyard today and I came across 3 lt1's. A camaro, Trans'am, and a corvette. I know the camaro and Ta rear end should fit in my car (I have drums now) but my question is. In order to do a rear end swap from drums to disc can I just buy the rear end and slap it on or would I need to buy other things?

Thanks.

Re: rear end question

Camaro or TA - not Vette. Are they manual or auto trans? Is yours manual or auto? Need to check the RPO codes for what is in the rear end - gears and LSD.

Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com "Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Comment

Both are auto and my car is also an auto. My car is a 94. If I remember the Camaro is a 95 and the Trans'am is a 96. If I get a chance I'll swing by again and check for sure.

Comment

RPO Codes

G80 LSD

GU2 AXLE REAR, 2.73 RATIO

GU4 AXLE REAR, 3.08 RATIO

GU5 AXLE REAR, 3.23 RATIO

GU6 AXLE REAR, 3.42 RATIO

Raven

Comment

The Camaro could possibly have a series 2 2.73 rear, so like he said check the codes. The TA, however, should have 3.23s. The code for them is GU5.

Comment

Make sure the rears don't have traction control. It was introduced in 95 and is not compatible with the ABS for the non traction control. Non trac control has a sensor that plugs in at the top of the differential casing, otherwise the sensors are near the axles I believe. Other than that it's a direct bolt in. I swapped mine after my pinion bearing failed a month or so ago and was determined to find one with discs and 3.42's

edit: also made sure it had the G80 for LSD. Trans Am should have that, i'm not sure if all lt1's came with it.
            Last edited by MegaHertz; 12-23-2011, 04:34 PM.
            96 White M5 Camaro. Manual everything. Magnaflow cat, dynomax dual outlet axle back. Swapped to a disc rear with 3.42s and a torsen differential, kyb gr2 rear shocks, moog rear endlinks.

Comment

Thank you for your help guys, I really needed it. I never got a chance to check it out today nut i'll try tomorrow. Thanks again.

Comment

if its an auto TCS is not going to be there. they had the 2nd gear start. i put a rear from a 00TA auto in my 94 auto and the only thing you have to buy is the parking brake cables the rest is the same

Comment

Originally posted by A fireman View Post
                  if its an auto TCS is not going to be there. they had the 2nd gear start. i put a rear from a 00TA auto in my 94 auto and the only thing you have to buy is the parking brake cables the rest is the same
                  And remember that only parts from a 98-02 will now fit the rear.

Raven

Comment

yes sorry forgot to mention although it bolts right in search all parts in or on the rear as the year it came from

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                      Hello everyone!
                      by Andy H
                      Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                      3 weeks ago
                    • 3.4 slow to go
                      hey there strangers!
                      by 3.4 slow to go
                      been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                      3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X