Rear end gears

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear end gears

I've already done intake and exhaust on my camaro, but i read on the CamaroForums that swapping the 3.08 gears which are good for economy but sluggish for acceleration, for 3.43's or 3.73's. I want to know if there's any sights anyone could direct me to find the gears and the carrier. I haven't found any and my local junk yard doesn't have any wrecked Z28's.
    So is there anyone who could give me any leads?

Re: Rear end gears

I went from the stock 3:23's to 3:42's and acceleration improved quite a bit. I got my gears from Summit Racing, and my auburn posi off ebay out of a Trans Am. You can buy one from Summit Racing or any other parts places. If your looking for a used set up, keep your eyes open, things pop up from time to time. Search Craigslist in your area for anyone parting out a Camaro or Trans Am.
    3M MAFIA
    ________
    | Dynomax Catback | Auburn Posi | 3:42s | B&M Ripper | DIY CAI | PVC Mod |
    Next on the list: GT2 Cam| 105# Springs |Headwork| Headers |
    sigpic

Comment

Summit gears will work, if you're staying n/a go with 3.73s or find a 10bolt with 3.42s in it. out of a trans am/camaro dont matter, just make sure if you have traction control that that car also did or vice versa

If you have rear drums, itd be a good time to switch to disc

Comment

Originally posted by Curt705 View Post
        I've already done intake and exhaust on my camaro, but i read on the CamaroForums that swapping the 3.08 gears which are good for economy but sluggish for acceleration, for 3.43's or 3.73's. I want to know if there's any sights anyone could direct me to find the gears and the carrier. I haven't found any and my local junk yard doesn't have any wrecked Z28's.
        So is there anyone who could give me any leads?
        Need to know what year car. 93-97 and 98+ have different rears.
        Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com "Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Comment

motive gear is a good site for shopping. Randy's Ring & Pinion is good also. Just choose your car on the site and it will tell you what fits. 3.42 will give you a good balance between better acceleration and fuel economy. I wouldn't worry about getting posi on the 3.4L unless you are doing 3.73 or higher.

Comment

Originally posted by SixShooter'00Camaro View Post
            I went from the stock 3:23's to 3:42's and acceleration improved quite a bit. I got my gears from Summit Racing, and my auburn posi off ebay out of a Trans Am. You can buy one from Summit Racing or any other parts places. If your looking for a used set up, keep your eyes open, things pop up from time to time. Search Craigslist in your area for anyone parting out a Camaro or Trans Am.
            Was the posi unit hard to put in? Ive been thinking about buying one off ebay and getting rid of a open differential

Comment

Well if you're doing your gears, you're gonna have to pull the carrier out anyway. Just put your ring gear and abs ring (if aplicable) on.
              1997 Chevrolet Camaro
              L26, Pacesetter headers, SLP cai, Centerforce DF clutch, Pro 5.0 shifter, UMI short stick, 1le driveline, J&M 35mm front swaybar, UMI lca's/phb/sfc's, KYB AGX shocks, Hotchkis stb.

Comment

Originally posted by FirebirdGT View Post
                Need to know what year car. 93-97 and 98+ have different rears.
                Are the differences just in the brakes or are there more things that are different?
                96 White M5 Camaro. Manual everything. Magnaflow cat, dynomax dual outlet axle back. Swapped to a disc rear with 3.42s and a torsen differential, kyb gr2 rear shocks, moog rear endlinks.

Comment

Originally posted by MegaHertz View Post
                  Are the differences just in the brakes or are there more things that are different?
                  Yes - axle length is a big one.

Raven

Comment

I knew that pre 93 had shorter axles - didn't know that they changed in 98+. Are they longer or shorter? Is the spline count the same?
                    96 White M5 Camaro. Manual everything. Magnaflow cat, dynomax dual outlet axle back. Swapped to a disc rear with 3.42s and a torsen differential, kyb gr2 rear shocks, moog rear endlinks.

Comment

Originally posted by MegaHertz View Post
                      I knew that pre 93 had shorter axles - didn't know that they changed in 98+. Are they longer or shorter? Is the spline count the same?
                      98-02 are shorter. Splines the same.

When I got some Moser axles they didn't fit - could not push the axle in far enough to install the C-clip. Moser insisted 93-02 was the same. Then found that GM parts list has two part numbers.

Then found on CamaroZ28.com issues the V8 guys had swapping axles.

http://web.camaross.com/forums/showt...eferrerid=8517

Another:

http://www.camarozone.com/forum/f16/...d-swap-174695/

Last edited by FirebirdGT; 12-23-2011, 05:38 PM.

Raven

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                        Had to get another phone
                        by ssms5411
                        Well my iPhone 11 Pro Max took a dump, it’s in a boot up loop, will try and get it fixed and give it to my mom. So I got a new iPhone 15 pro max, everything...
                        1 week ago
                      • ssms5411
                        Leaking front cover
                        by ssms5411
                        So I’m still leaking coolant, I think it’s my front cover, going to double check when it’s alittle warmer, got the Zzp extra thick timing cover...
                        2 weeks ago
                      • transamtom1
                        Went to look at 2002 V6 Firebird Vert.
                        by transamtom1
                        Local car on a small lot just over 100k mikes(178,000 kms)

Silver with grey leather and black top 3.8L for $5400 cdn or $3975 usd as is....
                        3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X