Flexplate orientation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flexplate orientation

I am putting my motor toghether and I have reached the point of putting my flexplate back on. Is there a certain orientation that it needs to be placed in, it has a weight on one side does that corrispond to anything? Anybody that knows please help. Thanks a ton.
    Daily: '02 Black Yukon Denali
    Toy: '06 Torrid Red GTO
    Gone: Powerdyned '02 Pewter Camaro
    Gone: '07 Charcoal Yamaha R6
    Gone: Ex-wife, lol

Re: Flexplate orientation

The plate should have "ENGINE SIDE" marked on one side. Also in most cases the flexplate only lines up with the bolt holes one way. You'll usually see one hole on the crank that does not have any threads in it, and one extra hole in the flexplate. That one extra hole (if it's there) should line up with the extra hole in the crank.
    If you can't find the "ENGINE SIDE" marking on the flexplate, you might also be able to find a mark near one of the torque converter bolt holes. It usually looks like a small round spray paint mark. That mark should be towards the engine. It is to mark the torque converter bolt hole that has no "extra" play in it. When bolting in the converter, you should start with this hole so the rest line up.
    -<i>Travis</i><br /><b>99 Trans Am, Pewter, A4</b> Forged, stalled, and cammed<br /><b>85 Buick Regal WH1 T-Type</b> It\'d be cool if it ran...<br /><b>94 Camaro 3.4, Teal, M5</b> The daily beater

Comment

i suppose i should have been more specific. Does the orientation matter as to how it is installed degree wise like should the weight be in say a 1 0'clock position and so on...?

Comment

I think aslong as the right side is facing the engine it should just go right on.
        08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
        96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Originally posted by ssms5411 View Post
          I think aslong as the right side is facing the engine it should just go right on.
          x2... that weight just balances the flexplate itself, that balance doesn't correspond to anything else...
          Rebuilding the engine... Building a custom front end... T-top conversion... Custom rear hatch..
          Custom interior...

TEAM NoVa

Comment

I believe the 3.8 is externally balanced, in which case, the flexplate is not neutrally balanced. Like I said in my previous reply, look for a hole in the crankshaft that doesn't have any threads in it and a corresponding "extra" hole in the flexplate. If it doesn't have one, then you will either find that the bolt holes only line up one way, or the orientation doesn't matter.
            -<i>Travis</i><br /><b>99 Trans Am, Pewter, A4</b> Forged, stalled, and cammed<br /><b>85 Buick Regal WH1 T-Type</b> It\'d be cool if it ran...<br /><b>94 Camaro 3.4, Teal, M5</b> The daily beater

Comment

Originally posted by Skinny View Post
              I believe the 3.8 is externally balanced, in which case, the flexplate is not neutrally balanced. Like I said in my previous reply, look for a hole in the crankshaft that doesn't have any threads in it and a corresponding "extra" hole in the flexplate. If it doesn't have one, then you will either find that the bolt holes only line up one way, or the orientation doesn't matter.
              i agree, if the flexplate has a weight on it, the engine is most likely externally balanced, as i have never seen a flywheel that was balanced on an internal balanced engine.

the flexplate should only go on one way

Comment

i'll take a few pictures once i get home. Will also take a look at it again. Thanks guys :P

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                Working...
                X