DIY paint job

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY paint job

So I’m going to try and paint my bumper, roof and rear spoiler. Probably next month, if it turns out decent it will save me a few years not spending $4000 on paint job. Getting everything from Paint Scratch.com for $150. I’ve done spoilers and fenders before so hopefully it turns out decent. Bumper and spoiler are going to be the easiest and roof might be a pain.
    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Will be watching this as I have some areas that need some paint but I am hesitant to do it myself..

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
    1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

Ordered my materials even a new 5” buffer so I can clean up my over spray that I did over the years. Can’t find my other buffer, in my storage somewhere. Probably spent over $400 and will probably need more paint and clear coat.
      Last edited by ssms5411; 08-10-2022, 10:18 AM.
      08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
      96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Got the 5” buffer today, got started on getting the spray paint off the car. Used rubbing compound works great, alot more to do. Basically the hatch, my fault with the spray paint on the spoiler. Going to take the spoiler off for fiberglass work and paint it. Hopefully get all my materials in a week or two.

Comment

Got the hatch all done just need drivers side rear panel done. I’m going to wax the hatch tomorrow real good. Still waiting on paint and other stuff to come in, hopefully this week.

Comment

Post photos as you go along!

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
            1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

Will do , just cleaning up the paint right now, when I start painting I’ll post pics.

Comment

Got all the spray paint off , getting some of my materials Wednesday, so might start.

Comment

Damm monsoon season, don’t have a garage so going to have to wait on painting.

Comment

Got the spoiler sanded down for primer. Had to hit the spots where the spray paint ran before with 100 grit, the did 600 all over and then 1500. If it’s sunny tomorrow I’ll get some primer on it. Spraying in the backyard. Went ahead and sprayed the primer on it. Going to let it dry overnight and get the imperfections out then hit it with 2000 grit. Then should be ready for base coat.
                    Last edited by ssms5411; 08-22-2022, 07:51 PM.

Comment

Comment

Got the spoiler sanded, had to use 100 on the areas I missed the first time. Then 600 and then 1500 it’s nice and smooth ready for some base paint. My only problem is bugs getting into the paint. Had a few get into the primer, just sanded them out.

Comment

Sanded out the imperfections, primed it again, sanded, ready for base coat, I’ll try and do it today then let it dry overnight and clear it tomorrow and then wet sand it with 2000 grit.

Comment

Not going good, got the base down and showing a lot of imperfections, 3 cans of primer, 4 cans of base so far. I’ll clear it tomorrow. The light grey primer is soaking up the black paint, ordered black primer for the bumper, hopefully that comes out better. Have alot of wind too, not helping, should of just took it to the paint shop.lol

Comment

Finished with base , going to let it dry overnight and clear it tomorrow. Here’s a pic
                              Last edited by ssms5411; 08-26-2022, 05:23 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X