No announcement yet.

DIY paint job

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got the base on the spoiler, little windy but got it done, will try and clear it tomorrow. Storm is moving in so will see.
    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

So far the breakdown on just the spoiler is 2 cans primer, 5 cans base, 2 cans clear plus alot of 100 grit, 500 /600 grit 1500 grit sandpaper . Also 2 sanding blocks and misc. stuff like paint tape fine nib tool for streaks. Bumper is going to be 2 cans adhesive promoter ,4 cans primer, 5 cans base, 3 cans clear. $550-600 into it plus $100 for buffer and materials. So if it’s a big job just take it to the paint shop. After the Camaro is done I’m going to do my trucks hood and roof to at least get it decent. Practicing on my Camaro should go a lot better with the truck.
      08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
      96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Well it’s not perfect but should last a few years. Just need it to dry overnight then I’ll wet sand it with 2000 grit. Will start the bumper this next week. I think I should of sanded it better before the primer. I think I’ll do better with the bumper.
        Attached Files

Comment

My cousin’s husband thinks wet sanding and polishing will make it look better. I hope it does, I think it looks like crap, I should of sanded better and got it perfect. Oh well, letting it dry overnight and I’ll get it finished tomorrow and probably take the bumper off.

Comment

It does look like a lot of orange peel on there

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
            1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

Originally posted by LETZRIDE View Post
              It does look like a lot of orange peel on there
              Yes, probably won’t come out because it’s in the primer. Will see.

Comment

Well, wet sanding and buffing it didn’t help, I think the only way to fix it would be going back to primer. Which I’m not doing so is what it is, better than the primer. Started on my bumper where I drilled through putting the ground effects on. Used bondo bumper repair kit. Worked pretty good, have it sanded down. I’ll pull the bumper tomorrow and use a couple of cans of adhesive promoter before I primer it.
                Attached Files

Comment

Got the bumper off today, going to start prepping it for the adhesive promoter. Hopefully get it ready by Thursday.

Comment

Going to start Saturday, once I get the bumper done I’m going to redo the spoiler. The bottom is good so I’ll just sand the top and redo it.

Comment

It’s on hold, alot of wind up here, will try tomorrow. It’s getting cooler too. Good thing they say between 50 and 90 degrees to spray paint, been between 70-80 degrees.

Comment

Got it sanded with 500 and then 1500, 2 coats of the adhesive promoter. Will let it dry and primer it later on today.

Comment

Got a couple of coats of black primer, about 2 cans. Will let it dry overnight then sand with 1500. Then spray base.

Comment

Not going good, trying to put base down and the wind picks up and I can’t spray to close or I get runs. So it’s basically going to come out like crap. Need to finish so it is what it is. My advice would be let a shop do your painting.

Comment

Almost finished and the freaking spray can dripped all over the bumper. Have to wait until it dries and sand it out and respray. Damm. Lol

Comment

Noticed there wasn’t any wind tonight, sprayed another coat,a lot better with no wind. Will clear it tomorrow, if the wind is good.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                                  Hello everyone!
                                  by Andy H
                                  Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                                  3 weeks ago
                                • 3.4 slow to go
                                  hey there strangers!
                                  by 3.4 slow to go
                                  been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                                  3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X