No announcement yet.

DIY paint job

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Without an enclosure it hard to get the paint right. If you're spraying by way of a spray can that's even harder.

My brother took his Altima to Maaco because my dad scratch his car by accidentally backing his Mercedes to it. They did a base coat and clearcoat and it looked good. It's been over 10 years and it's still look good. I might take my hood to them.

Comment

Yeah I’ll see how the clear colors comes out, I think it was the light grey primer, can’t return the paint so might as well use it. 10 years is great for paint.
      08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
      96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Looked at it this morning, I’ll wait for my base paint coming this next week and put more base on the top and see if it looks better. The underneath part came out decent. I need to hold the can closer I think.
        Last edited by ssms5411; 08-27-2022, 10:49 AM.
        08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
        96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

My Cousins husband came up and looked at it and said I was spraying too far away, just sand it with 1500 and apply more base coat, should fix it and spray closer. The underneath came out great and I sprayed that close about 4”s from it. I did the top about 6-8”s so will see, should get more paint this week.

Comment

Looks like it is a bit blotchy in the one photo, is that normal?

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
            1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

Have to respray the top, was too far away, sanded it with 1500, waiting on more paint to come in.

Comment

Should get my paint tomorrow so hopefully comes out better so I can clear it Saturday.

Comment

Got the paint but had lots of wind and rain. Knocked the power out, its still out. Hopefully tomorrow.

Comment

Finished with base coat, looks decent. Tried to clear the bottom but sprayed to close and got a few runs so Will wet sand them out tomorrow and clear the top. Wet sand with 2000 and done. Except for polishing the spoiler with the buffer.

Comment

What’s it loom like now?

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
                      1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

Originally posted by LETZRIDE View Post
                        What’s it loom like now?
                        Runs in the clear coat, I’ll post pics when its done. Got some more stuff coming, to help take the runs out. I read that to let it dry good so it shrinks then take them out.

Comment

I think I’ll call Maaco tomorrow see if they can do my spoiler and bumper. Going to cut my loses. I’m not going to be able to get it to where I like it. I’m in it for about $500-$600. Oh well.
                          Last edited by ssms5411; 09-08-2022, 05:47 PM.

Comment

I’ll try it one more time tomorrow, just pissed right now, got the runs out but cut into the base. So I’ll hit those spots with base and try to clear it again.Still going to call tomorrow see how much.

Comment

Called Maaco, $350 for the bumper, and couldn’t give me a quote on the spoiler since it is painted, have to look at it then they will quote it from there.

Comment

Got the spoiler sanded down to primer, only the spots where the clear coat ran. Will do base tomorrow hopefully, depending on weather. Clear it Friday. I’m pretty sure I won’t make the same mistake.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                                  Hello everyone!
                                  by Andy H
                                  Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                                  3 weeks ago
                                • 3.4 slow to go
                                  hey there strangers!
                                  by 3.4 slow to go
                                  been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                                  3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X