No announcement yet.

Polishing chrome rims

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks great, can't believe the difference, nice job. So the chrome polish and mothers ball didn't work but the rubbing compound and mothers ball did, ill have to remember this in case i need to do it to mine.
    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Oh Mike did you find out if their really chrome?
      08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
      96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Originally posted by ssms5411 View Post
        Looks great, can't believe the difference, nice job. So the chrome polish and mothers ball didn't work but the rubbing compound and mothers ball did, ill have to remember this in case i need to do it to mine.
        I didn't try the chrome polish on the mothers ball - I had tried it by hand before with no results, then I tried a clay bar and got nowhere either so I got fed up and figured, I'll just try the rubbing compound which seems to have worked a little better. It is shinny but is dulled as well, so it will need to be brought back to a shine probably using a mix of polishing compounds and chrome polish.

Still not 100% if they are chrome like Sac2165 pointed out - they could be polished aluminum with a clear coat....I believe they are chrome though and I only say that because my last pair that I bought used and in rougher shape ended up having the chrome flake off of rims after a few years

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
        1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

I've had the best success cleaning stubborn stains with Eagle One Never Dull. The polishing wad, if you haven't used it. It's fairly cheap and has always worked for me. If you use it, just tear a small piece each time. Also, store the container in a zip lock when finished, so it doesn't dry out quickly.

Comment

With the slight lines left after using rubbing compound it looks to me like you have a clear coat finish, as was suggested earlier. If that is indeed the case, you would be able to strip it and reapply a fresh coat. A pain in the butt, I would think, as you'd be best to drop the tires off and the valves out to do a proper job. To my eye they just don't look like chrome - but of course, I could be mistaken. If you take a razor blade are you able to make a mark in the finish? You should not be able to 'easily' mark chrome in this manner. Try somewhere inconspicuous obviously, LOL.
            Again, only an opinion, not expert advice.

Comment

Thanks for the tip- I am looking to tackle the rims this winter

Comment

On clear coat wheels I use Meguiars #2 Fine cut cleaner. Use the polish until it becomes transparent then wipe off with a fiber cloth. Don't leave the polish on like wax, remove it or you'll have to fight it off.
                Curious..do they use mag-chloride on your roads there when its icy? That will ruin most polish aluminum rims and clear coat finishes. I live in Colorado and that stuff is brutal on wheels unless you wash it off right away.

Comment

Is that all you use or just one of the products? Like do you step up to a less abrasive polish from there?

They do salt the roads here, no idea if it is mag-choloride...I'll tell you it doesn't taste very good lol. They use a mix of spray and salt rock.

Comment

Originally posted by LETZRIDE View Post
                    Is that all you use or just one of the products? Like do you step up to a less abrasive polish from there?

They do salt the roads here, no idea if it is mag-choloride...I'll tell you it doesn't taste very good lol. They use a mix of spray and salt rock.
                    I often follow up with Mothers wheel polish after #2 Meguiars, Mothers has just enough wax in to repel all that moisture. Since about 08' most of the high end wheel and car compounds are now water based and really suck.

Comment

Does the Meguiars #2 Fine cut cleaner matter if the wheel is polished vs clear coat vs chrome?

Comment

Does the Meguiars #2 Fine cut cleaner matter if the wheel is polished vs clear coat vs chrome?
                        No it doesn't, just make sure when you apply the product and it becomes transparent and wipe off right away. If you let that #2 set up like wax you'll need a chisel to get it off. I even use #2 on plastic to clean up small scratches.

Comment

What are you applying it with? just a microfiber towel or are you using something like a powerball?

Comment

What are you applying it with? just a microfiber towel or are you using something like a powerball?
                            I used either terry cloth towels or my quitters(white socks that don't stand anymore-flip them inside out-throw them away after use). I've used power balls that are foam. The paint supply shops carry them.

Comment

Got the bright idea to try some bar keepers friend on the rims. Seems like with minimal effort I am able to remove this stuff. I am probably going to need to polish the rim up though. Gotta figure what I can use to polish them.

I also want to take the rims off to do a better job
                              Attached Files

Comment

Got the rims off this weekend. Night and day difference! The barkeepers friend really got rid of the spots that have been plagueing me for almost 2 years.

I think the rims may be more aluminum than Chrome. I want to try and find something this week to polish the rim with now to take the fine scratches out that I got from the barkeepers friend. With some polish I think they will look almost brand spanking new.

On a side note I also just found out I got a sticking caliper, so need to sort that out too....

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                                  Had to get another phone
                                  by ssms5411
                                  Well my iPhone 11 Pro Max took a dump, it’s in a boot up loop, will try and get it fixed and give it to my mom. So I got a new iPhone 15 pro max, everything...
                                  1 week ago
                                • ssms5411
                                  Leaking front cover
                                  by ssms5411
                                  So I’m still leaking coolant, I think it’s my front cover, going to double check when it’s alittle warmer, got the Zzp extra thick timing cover...
                                  2 weeks ago
                                • transamtom1
                                  Went to look at 2002 V6 Firebird Vert.
                                  by transamtom1
                                  Local car on a small lot just over 100k mikes(178,000 kms)

Silver with grey leather and black top 3.8L for $5400 cdn or $3975 usd as is....
                                  3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X