Polishing chrome rims

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Polishing chrome rims

I have spotting on my C5 chrome vette rims that don’t look like rust, but maybe like some type of oxidization. I have tried washing the rims and scrubbing them with a cloth but can’t get them clean- does anyone know what I can do to remove these spots on my C5 Corvette rims so that they look like brand new again?

Click image for larger version

Name:	7F64EABC-E6C3-47F9-8261-C74D0690F9FA.jpeg
Size:	2.95 MB
ID:	1571679

Name:	5D9A5631-2D68-41D4-899B-3CB445D9E761.jpeg
Size:	2.48 MB
ID:	1571680

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
    1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

I use white vinegar on my chrome ZR1's and my truck rims, but i do have a little pitting on both, but the vinegar cleans them pretty well, might try that.
    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

I tried using vinegar without much luck - was thinking of trying a claybar on them but thought this must be a pretty common issue people face and maybe had other ideas for?

Comment

Mothers makes a polish for chrome rims , i have some but haven't used it. Is it pitted or uneven or just discolored ?
        08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
        96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

I have some of the mothers stuff too but it didn't work to clean it up, at least not when applied with just a cloth. I don't believe it is pitted, but it doesn't feel smooth as glass either, you can definitely feel contaminant or something on the surface where the spots are. But it isn't putting because none of the chrome is bubbled up - which makes me believe I can fix it

Comment

Have you tried the mothers ball with some polish?

Comment

I am going to try the mothers ball and some polish next and will report back

Comment

I use to have the ball and mini ball but can't find them so I ordered the cone. Hopefully it works for you.

Comment

Are you 100% sure they're chrome? There are several coatings they can use that make wheels look chrome.

For chrome, I use Mothers with a microfiber towel and it works well. For polished aluminum, or silver painted wheels mothers is pretty worthless. My OEM 2002 Z28/RS wheels are painted silver and really look bad considering they've never been dirty. This Spring I plan on breaking out the rubbing compound with some buffing wheels.
                  <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/sac2165\" target=\"_blank\"> CAMAROS</a>

Comment

Originally posted by sac2165 View Post
                    Are you 100% sure they're chrome? There are several coatings they can use that make wheels look chrome.

For chrome, I use Mothers with a microfiber towel and it works well. For polished aluminum, or silver painted wheels mothers is pretty worthless. My OEM 2002 Z28/RS wheels are painted silver and really look bad considering they've never been dirty. This Spring I plan on breaking out the rubbing compound with some buffing wheels.
                    They are OEM C5 Vette wheels - to the best of my knowledge they are chrome but I could be wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by LETZRIDE View Post

They are OEM C5 Vette wheels - to the best of my knowledge they are chrome but I could be wrong?
                      I'm not 100% sure, but I thought factory Corvette wheels were polished aluminum with a clear coat. Something about the the chroming process could impact the structural integrity of the wheels under performance conditions.

I would try to polish them with what you would use on your paint.

Comment

Originally posted by sac2165 View Post

I'm not 100% sure, but I thought factory Corvette wheels were polished aluminum with a clear coat. Something about the the chroming process could impact the structural integrity of the wheels under performance conditions.

I would try to polish them with what you would use on your paint.
                        Fair point- I am assuming using the polish products I would use on my paint would not have any adverse affects on the chrome if it were in face true chrome?

Comment

Originally posted by LETZRIDE View Post

Fair point- I am assuming using the polish products I would use on my paint would not have any adverse affects on the chrome if it were in face true chrome?
                          Yeah, I would try a small spot, but I think the chrome would be much harder than paint, so it should be safe to use paint products on wheels. If we get a decent day, I'll put some rubbing compound on my truck wheels and see if it leaves any marks.

Comment

So I washed the car this weekend and decided to experiment on the rims with rubbing compound going off some of the info above.... looks like a bit of an improvement but that it will take a lot of elbow grease to get it done. I plan on taking each rim off one at a time and working on it next given these results... I was using a dampened cheese cloth to apply the rubbing compound, but I wonder if I can use the mothers powerball to cut down on the hardwork part needed on my end?

There appears to be scratches from the rubbing compound but my assumption is as I step back up through the polishing compound those will be buffed out...

Name:	6641C9BF-5C89-4E8A-988E-F06CE08A2FC5.jpeg
Size:	2.68 MB
ID:	1571754

Name:	C765CC2D-D9A1-4C9A-BAA8-80A0825F7C74.jpeg
Size:	2.42 MB
ID:	1571753

Comment

The top photo is after the rubbing compound, the bottom is before...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                                Hello everyone!
                                by Andy H
                                Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                                2 weeks ago
                              • 3.4 slow to go
                                hey there strangers!
                                by 3.4 slow to go
                                been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                                2 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X