My story on durable wax and paint sealants... - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My story on durable wax and paint sealants...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My story on durable wax and paint sealants...

Long store here, so I apologize ahead of time...

Ok, to start, I have about 40-50 different wax's and paint sealants in my collection so far and have been trying different brands over the past 30+ years. At the beginning, I only wanted something to quickly make my car look good and did not give a crap about durability. As I'm getting older though, I find it tough to do some of the stuff that I did when I was younger. Applying wax/sealants to my vehicles is no exception. Nowadays, I like to find products that last quite a long time, even if I have to sacrifice a small amount of depth & shine. The hot Florida sun usually destroys a wax coating in a shorter amount of their expected lifetime.

Between my wife and I, we have three cars. I have my GTO and a GMC Acadia. Both have a good layer of clearcoat on them and a wax coating protects them for about 6-8 months before I need to re-apply.

My wife's car though has a ~very~ horrible paintjob on it. It's a 2007 Accord (white) and it looks as though it was a single stage paintjob. There are many of small divots in the surface and dirt finds it's way into them easily. I just went out and took a photo of the hood, up near the wipers. Look closely and you'll see what I mean.

So now, everytime I wash her car, I start with soap/bucket to get the heavy stuff off, then either claybar -or something like Collinite's Sapphire PreClean Wax. Believe it or not, the Sapphire pre-cleaner wax does a faster job removing the embedded dirt. I use a certain sponge (wet), liberally apply the pre-wax stuff to it, then go over the paint to get all of the dirt out. Depending on the last time it was washed/cleaned, it can sometimes call for a 2nd application of the pre-cleaner.
    I have used a heavy duty car wash from Chemical Bros., but it did not work well.

Basically, what I'm currently using to seal the white paint on her Accord is:
    *Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze. I apply, let dry, then use a mist of detailing spray and micro towel when removing it. Tough stuff!
    *Next up is a layer of Collinite #845. Legendary stuff and comes off easily without the need for detailing spray.
    *After that, just for fun, I use a layer of Adams' Patriot Wax.

So far, the three step process has done wonders for sealing out the dirt that gets into the surface. BUT, I usually have to apply them about 3x's per year. Any less, and I have to go and order more Sapphire Cleaner.

I didn't get into ceramic coatings only because I've tried it on her car years ago and was not impressed. I bought the Opticoat 2.0 from Autogeek.net, but it just didn't seem to protect the finish as advertised since the embedded dirt was back a few months later.

With all of that being said, anyone here have a recommendation on something that may be more durable than my "Klasse/Collinite/Patriot" steps?

Click image for larger version

Name:	2007 Accord White Paint.jpg
Size:	326.8 KB
ID:	1570972
    sigpic

Can't seem to find a way to post a larger photo here. Sorry.
    sigpic

Comment

That is a really bad paint job to have those divets...not sure as far as getting something more durable than what you have - I have been pretty happy with the run of the mill mothers products and recently new turtlewax products.

This may sound a little silly, but have you tried cleaning her car with a brush like this: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Detailer-...andle/15111242

I use it on my vehicles - the bristles may get into the divets much better than a standard mitt or sponge just due to the design...maybe couple that with a power washer if needed and it may make your cleaning life a little easier.

short of that I would maybe see if someone or yourself can wet sand the divets out? As long as you have divets it will collect dirt and I don't think any wax is going to fill the divests enough to even the surface off so that dirt comes off very easily on a regular wash.

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
      1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

Well, I thought about wetsanding it, but not sure how much damage I'd do since I'm unsure of how many layers of paint were applied at the factory. At least with clearcoat, I know I can shave off a very slight amount and still be safe. Single stage paint is much different.

I have one of those brushes and use it on the roof of my GMC when washing it. I've also tried that many years ago on the Accord and it really didn't do anything for the embedded dirt.

It's a horrible paintjob to say the least. Unfortunately for me, she loves the damn car! She's had it since new, so I'm SOL and have to look forward to washing, claying, pre-cleaning, waxing, and re-waxing until the day she decides to buy something else :facepalm:
        sigpic

Comment

and I suppose a repaint is out of the question?

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
          1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

Originally posted by LETZRIDE View Post
            and I suppose a repaint is out of the question?
            I might consider it if it were newer. For an '07 with 87k on it though... Besides, she has been talking about looking for something else in the mere future, but no solid plans have been made because she loves her Accord.

Out of all of the paint sealants I've purchased and applied over the decades, I will say that the Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze is the best I've ever used and seems to hold up the longest. The last time I cleaned/sealed/waxed her car was back at the start of summer, and no dirt looks to be settling into the paint defects, yet. I might try just a plain 'ol wash & wax later this month and see...

If you've never used Klasse Sealant Glaze, I highly recommend giving it a try. :thumbsup:
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyman View Post

If you've never used Klasse Sealant Glaze, I highly recommend giving it a try. :thumbsup:
              I am going to try it based upon your recommendation.

I solemnly swear I am up to no good.

2008 Saturn Sky Red Line - Midnight Blue

Pewter Mafia - 2000 Firebird - SOLD
              CENTRAL FLORIDA KNIGHTS!!!!!!!
              FLORIDA STATE SEMINOLES !!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Everglades W68 View Post

I am going to try it based upon your recommendation.
                Any updates on it?
                sigpic

Comment

I really enjoy detailing cars; I've found that the closer you get to perfection the more flaws you discover. I'd second doing a wet sand, worst case you burn through the clear coat, but keeping a good coat of wax you won't notice it. (Don't ask me how I know)

I've been on the fence on whether to buy a paint gauge. If you get one, you should be safe keeping your clear coat healthy.

I've given up on finding long term coatings. I just look for something that smells good and comes off easy.
                  <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/sac2165\" target=\"_blank\"> CAMAROS</a>

Comment

So I've always had it burned into my head that a paste wax is the best protection possible, but lately, I've been using this and I've been liking it more and more:
                    https://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-D156.../dp/B005JPJMI2

I already had a layer of synthetic wax on my GMC, but as I've said before, it just doesn't seem to last too long in the FL heat. I bought the Express Wax back in August and it seems to be holding up very well to the environmental conditions. It sprays on and removes exactly like a detail spray, very easily! Water beading, I have to say, is quite impressive.

I will still use a synthetic paste or liquid wax on my finish about 2x's per year, but the express wax will be applied everywhere in between. Very happy with it!
                    sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• 3.4 slow to go
                      hey there strangers!
                      by 3.4 slow to go
                      been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                      12 hours ago
                    • ssms5411
                      Had to get another phone
                      by ssms5411
                      Well my iPhone 11 Pro Max took a dump, it’s in a boot up loop, will try and get it fixed and give it to my mom. So I got a new iPhone 15 pro max, everything...
                      1 week ago
                    • ssms5411
                      Leaking front cover
                      by ssms5411
                      So I’m still leaking coolant, I think it’s my front cover, going to double check when it’s alittle warmer, got the Zzp extra thick timing cover...
                      2 weeks ago
                    • transamtom1
                      Went to look at 2002 V6 Firebird Vert.
                      by transamtom1
                      Local car on a small lot just over 100k mikes(178,000 kms)

Silver with grey leather and black top 3.8L for $5400 cdn or $3975 usd as is....
                      3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X