Pitting Chrome Rim Repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pitting Chrome Rim Repair

So over the last few weeks I have been repairing the pitting and peeling of the inside of my Z06 chrome rims. The first pic is before, then the second is after I used a wire wheel on it for about 45 mins and then the third is after I painted over it with chrome paint. this was done to all 4 wheels.
    Before:

1) Use a dremel or drill with a wire wheel brush bit.

2) No wheel prep required before using the wire brush. Use the wire wheel brush to remove the dirt/grime/peeling/pits of the chrome. In terms of movement, I found that going back and forth from the wheel spokes back to the backside of the rim and vise versa worked the best. If you go in a circular motion, you will end up with swirl marks. Dont be a girl with the wire wheel. You really have to put some muscle in it to get all the crap off. It took me a solid 30-45 minutes for each wheel. 1 18v battery per wheel I went through.

3) Put on the grass face down and hose off the excess residue

4) Towel dry the inside for a clean shine. You will still see the remains of the pits. I suppose to could use the wheel brush even more to get down to make it flush but After I painted I do not feel this is necessary. (220 grit sand paper should take care of it if you feel the need) The paint covers it up pretty good.

5) Cut a piece of cardboard to fit the inside circumference of the wheel. It has to be a tight fit or you will get the paint on your actual rim face. This can be tedious but do it right. What I did, was since I couldnt get a perfect fit I took a crescent shaped cardboard and made it fit the curvature of the wheel perfect and then moved it around as I painted.

6) With the rim face down on the grass, cover the tire that is facing up so you wont get spray paint on the tire.

7) I used chrome spray from OReilly's with a shaker ball. Shake well

8) If you do the crescent cardboard piece approach, move it around the inside of the rim while you lightly spray paint it. Use light controlled strokes. I went around the inside of the rim this way twice back to back, no waiting.

9) Let dry

Attached Files
    Last edited by TheGr8Schlotzky; 03-16-2010, 09:55 PM.
    SLP CAI, RK Sport headers, P&Ped heads and intake, GT2 cam, Upgraded valvetrain, Z28 rear axle with 4.10s Tx Spd tune, Z06 rims, 2.5\" exhaust to flowmaster, 160* thermo, B&M ripper, upgraded ignition, rockford fosgate 12\" with sony xplode amp and HU.

Re: Chrome Rim Repair Pics

i wish i wasn't lazy this needs to be done to my car =\
    2001 Camaro 3.8 A4
    1991 3000GT VR4
    2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS

Comment

What type of chrome paint did you use? Was it from a rattle can?

Comment

i think this would be valuable if scholtzky put this in the how to section
        Robby
        2001 Chevrolet Camaro 3.8 V6

|JET Chip|Flowmaster American Thunder|K&N Intake|BMR STB|Spohn Rear Sway Bar|

http://speed-bros.com/
        sigpic

Comment

I hear ya. FuryCharger, if you make this a bit more "how to" style, I'll add it to the sticky.
          sigpic
          1996 Chevrolet Camaro
          1995 Buick Park Avenue Ultra
          --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

Re: Pitting Chrome Rim Repair

Alright, it's up.
            sigpic
            1996 Chevrolet Camaro
            --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

Thanks much. How do you embed the photos like you did?? All I can do is attach them it seems like.
              SLP CAI, RK Sport headers, P&Ped heads and intake, GT2 cam, Upgraded valvetrain, Z28 rear axle with 4.10s Tx Spd tune, Z06 rims, 2.5\" exhaust to flowmaster, 160* thermo, B&M ripper, upgraded ignition, rockford fosgate 12\" with sony xplode amp and HU.

Comment

My old SS 17X9 chrome rims 2 of them the chrome was rusted out since I got them from FL. and the air wouldn't hold any more around the edges, But this is just for th inside the rim. But for the leaking rims I had to either have them re-chromed which was going to be more than the rims themselves or buy new ones or try bead tar but would have to be used everytime I got tires, so I got new ZR1's which won't rust in AZ. Good writeup though on the inner part , they look new again.
                08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Originally posted by FuryCharger View Post
                  Thanks much. How do you embed the photos like you did?? All I can do is attach them it seems like.
                  If you click the attachment it opens a new window with just the picture. If you copy and paste the URL, and stick it between [img] tags, it will embed.
                  sigpic
                  1996 Chevrolet Camaro
                  --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

I should do this too, I have the stock chrome rims and they look just like this. I thought chrome was supposed to be more immune to corrosion than this. The face of the rims looks great, but that inside part looks awful on mine too. My car has hardly ever even been driven in snow/salt or even wet weather. It spends probably 95% of its life in the garage and is washed regularly. I wonder how well paint will hold up long-term.
                    2002 Silver Firebird A4<br />T-Tops, Leather, Y87, W68, Chrome Wheels<br />Bone Stock

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                      Hello everyone!
                      by Andy H
                      Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                      2 weeks ago
                    • 3.4 slow to go
                      hey there strangers!
                      by 3.4 slow to go
                      been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                      3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X