Cylinder Head Research Complete for 3800! - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cylinder Head Research Complete for 3800!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cylinder Head Research Complete for 3800!

I think ALM. will warp faster than cast iron, the newer L26 heads have bigger exhaust valves on them on FI engines and NA engines. Most have found 28 degrees timing is the sweet spot on our engines at WOT. I run 27 right now with my cam and have no KR and this is in 115-120 temps in the summer, so its runs pretty good. Its cold right now but I just leave my timing alone and just adjust fuel tables for the cold weather, need to richen it up.
    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Actually, Iron is more prone to warping than Aluminum. Aluminum will shed it's heat faster than Iron. It may have a higher rate of thermal expansion, but since it can cool faster it is less prone to staying at high temps that would cause warping. Most of the warping that people associate with overheating is related to Iron engine components. Aluminum is a very durable material for cylinder casings and heads. It's only recently that it's become common place for American auto manufacturers to use it more for performance engines. Seriously, there are alot of benefits to using Aluminum heads over Iron.

Comment

I am a machinist and hate to be the one to say it, but, you sir are wrong. iron heads are much more stable than aluminum, specially when over heated and/or mated to an un-like material (iron block).

Back on topic...

The red line is stock heads, yellow is what you would typically get from a DIY-job, and the purple line is what I was able to attain after several porting sessions using the flowbench...

and a printout of the graph with percent gain over stock (gained 20% avg :))...

and a few graphs overlaid (to give an idea about how many tests were done)...

Comment

Thanks for the graphs, and clearing up the alm./iron heads warping. My Dad told me this way back when the LT1's were avaliable with ALM. heads, that for AZ heat if you get stuck on the freeway and start to over heat and can't get over in time the heads are going to warp faster than cast iron. The graphs give me a good idea on how much my DYI heads will flow. I find it amazing how much you can get from just a DYI job on stock heads. I went through mine twice to make sure I got each port pretty much the same so I'm hoping for good results. Thanks agian, must be nice to have a flow bench at hand.
          08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
          96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Hey all, glad to see this sticky is still being expanded on. I must have done this research 3-4 years ago but still have my camaro in storage and goin strong! Keep it real.
            SLP CAI, RK Sport headers, P&Ped heads and intake, GT2 cam, Upgraded valvetrain, Z28 rear axle with 4.10s Tx Spd tune, Z06 rims, 2.5\" exhaust to flowmaster, 160* thermo, B&M ripper, upgraded ignition, rockford fosgate 12\" with sony xplode amp and HU.

Comment

Well, I have been able to see exceptional gains lately.

Boost ported heads...

That's not the latest graph, but you get the picture. Currently they flow over 204cfm at .400" and peak 224cfm at .600" with stock valves and seat angles.
              Last edited by Forced_Firebird; 04-09-2010, 09:08 PM.

Comment

hmmmmm those do look good....... lol :rock:

Comment

Flow matched pretty well...

Comment

I have a bit of a hard time reading and understanding this...can someone clarify for me what the stock flow numbers are on the stock set of heads please? or give me a little help reading this...? which are the intake flow numbers and which are the exhaust flow numbers?

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
                    1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

Originally posted by Forced_Firebird View Post
                      Flow matched pretty well...

looks to be intake port only numbers

stock flow is #1, and looks like #2-#4 are intake ports on the ported head.

And then on the right are the percentage increase numbers for each port.

Correct me if i'm wrong Forced...
                      Last edited by Pewter02Camaro; 04-28-2010, 06:26 PM.
                      Daily: '02 Black Yukon Denali
                      Toy: '06 Torrid Red GTO
                      Gone: Powerdyned '02 Pewter Camaro
                      Gone: '07 Charcoal Yamaha R6
                      Gone: Ex-wife, lol

Comment

ok I dont understand what the percentage increases mean? how can number 2 be 139 %? it doesnt make any sense if that info is relative to number 1 which is stock?

Comment

Originally posted by LETZRIDE View Post
                          ok I dont understand what the percentage increases mean? how can number 2 be 139 %? it doesnt make any sense if that info is relative to number 1 which is stock?
                          It would be 139 percent of the original flow number at a certain lift height.

so if you look at the numbers for a lift of .1 stock flow is 60.3 the first ported runner is flowing 70.3 thats 116 percent of the stock flow number so 60.3 x 1.16 = 70.29774

Get it now? ;)

Comment

wouldnt that only be 16% ^ not 116%?

Comment

The first 100% is the whole first number. Any percentage above 100% is the percentage gain. So you can drop the 100 if it makes more sense.

Example 137%= is 37% percent more than the stock. Or atleast thats how I understand it.

Comment

Originally posted by Bandit127 View Post
                                The first 100% is the whole first number. Any percentage above 100% is the percentage gain. So you can drop the 100 if it makes more sense.

Example 137%= is 37% percent more than the stock. Or atleast thats how I understand it.
                                Exactly

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                                  Hello everyone!
                                  by Andy H
                                  Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                                  2 weeks ago
                                • 3.4 slow to go
                                  hey there strangers!
                                  by 3.4 slow to go
                                  been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                                  3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X