which balancer do i need

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• which balancer do i need

so my engine was originally an L36. upon disassembly i found the crank and rods were out of spec and needed to be replaced. I have a new crank, and i purchased a set of L32 rods and pistons. Since im running the L32 internals, do i need to also run a balancer and flywheel from an L32/L67 or can i still use my old L36 balancer and flywheel ?

I wouldn’t think so I’m running L32 rods and 9.5:1 diamond pistons , might need a crank relearn on it so the computer and sensors are happy. The GM dealership my dad worked at did my rebuild and installed my VS cam . The mechanic that rebuilt mine didn’t have any problems. Only problem I had was the 9.5:1 Diamond forged pistons didn’t come with the wrist pins machined to the pistons, so when he went to rebuild my engine he had to wait on me sending the wrist pins back to Intense Racing to get machined. I overnighted them to Intense and they overnighted them back. 2 day delay. He said he would of been done on day one if it wasn’t for the screw up. The mechanic had a racing team at the drag strip and he’d done engine rebuilds in the parking lot on several occasions on his vehicles. He knew a lot about engines. I think he opened his own shop on the east side of town. My dad’s other main mechanic opened a shop on the east side of town and now has 2 shops, he’s doing very well. And the fly wheel should be fine I went from a flywheel to a flexplate. A M5 to A4 conversion. I before that I did my 1996 M5 to a 2002 M5 didn’t have any issues. Any problems a crank relearn should fix it.
    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

I hope I answered your question, my balancer is still a 1996 and the flexplate and flywheel were 1996 after all I’ve done to it. The 02’ A4 was a 2002 and don’t remember the year flexplate.If your putting a m5 in yours it will explode some gears unless your doing a Gforce m5.
      Last edited by ssms5411; 03-20-2023, 08:12 PM.
      08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
      96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Appreciate the info. I just finished a bunch of research on this from sites like 3800pro and Chicago garage. I also asked my machinist who did my block work. The thing you don't want to do is mix them up and use a flywheel from an sc motor with a balancer from an n/a motor, or vise versa. The l36/l26 flywheel and balancer are a matched set, as are the l67/l32. Using either set on either engine won't cause catastrophic engine failure, but can shorten the life of your bearings. If you're using l67/l32 rods and pistons you want the l67/l32 flywheel and balancer because their counterweights are matched to the heavier rods and pistons. The l36/l26 flywheel and balancer counterweights are matched to the l36/l26 rods and pistons which are lighter. .

Hope that info helps everyone out.

Comment

I’m using L32 rods and stock balancer with a different year flexplate, a 02’ auto transmission since 07’ or 08’ 16-17 years and 55k miles no problems.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
            Had to get another phone
            by ssms5411
            Well my iPhone 11 Pro Max took a dump, it’s in a boot up loop, will try and get it fixed and give it to my mom. So I got a new iPhone 15 pro max, everything...
            1 week ago
          • ssms5411
            Leaking front cover
            by ssms5411
            So I’m still leaking coolant, I think it’s my front cover, going to double check when it’s alittle warmer, got the Zzp extra thick timing cover...
            2 weeks ago
          • transamtom1
            Went to look at 2002 V6 Firebird Vert.
            by transamtom1
            Local car on a small lot just over 100k mikes(178,000 kms)

Silver with grey leather and black top 3.8L for $5400 cdn or $3975 usd as is....
            3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
          Working...
          X