Fuel injected 3.8 to a 350 carb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel injected 3.8 to a 350 carb

Seeing how hard it would be to do a carb swap in my 98 Camaro 3.8 fuel injected. what would i need?? i seen a 350 sbc block i wanna build.

Off the top of my head you would at a minimum need the following:
    • A new subframe/k-frame with the proper mounts for the SBC you're looking to put in
    • A new Transmission as your v6 4L60e or T5 will not mount to an SBC
    • Likely some sort of wiring harness for the new engine / setup so you can get the distributor and any other electronic based parts power
    • more than likely a custom driveshaft as I doubt the new transmission will be the same length and mount up
    • New gauges, unless you can find a way to make some or all of your gauges talk to the new motor without the sensors your old motor had...or find a way to integrate some of those sensors...this will tie back to your wiring harness solution.
    • Possibly a new radiator - not sure if the v6 one is adequate enough to cool an SBC? Maybe someone else knows for sure.

You'd need to look into the following:
    • How to pass emissions if you live in a state with emissions that rely on OBD2 based testing. If you have the sniffer you'd need to verify what the requirements are for you to pass as maybe a hotrod vehicle or something else, because you won't pass the sniffer for a 98 v6 as a carbed SBC.
    • What fuel pressure the SBC requires vs the fuel pressure your v6 runs on to determine if you need up upgrade the fuel pump
    • You'd need to measure your mounting points of the SBC motor on the new K-frame to determine if you will need to cut the cowl any for fitment and whether or not you will need to replace the hood on the car with a cowl or something else to let the motor fit
    • Assuming the SBC is the same weight as your v6 and your suspension is in good order, you could leave the suspension alone. Otherwise you may need to look into a stiffer spring rate up front.

Essentially you need to make it fit...then you need to supply it with fuel/spark/air ... Personally I believe it is a lot of work to take a step backwards in technology, but different folks build projects for different or certain reasons... if you go through with it, make sure to take lots of photos and document it here... we'll follow the build and help where we can.

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
    1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

man sounds like a lot to do. is it easier to do a ls swap or an lt1

Comment

forgot to mention i have a world class T5 in my camaro

Comment

An LS or LT1 would be slightly easier...you'd still have emission woes depending on your state.

The easiest for the LS or LT1 swap would be to buy a donor car and swap everything that you need over... But keep in mind the condition of the motor is not likely to be well known and could be a crap shoot for longevity or reliability until rebuilt. - same goes for the tranny you'd need to still swap.

Are you hell bent on having a v8 in there? why not just build the v6? What are you ultimately trying to achieve?

Comment

I also don't know what a world class T5 transmission is - is that a company that has rebuilt your T5?

In any event, the output shaft won't work on any v8 motor and the T5's doesn't matter who rebuilt it is far too weak to handle much of anything. So regardless if you are going v8 of any sort you'll need to look into either a T56, a 4L60e (from a v8) or a 4l80e but you'll need to do a little to get it to fit.

Comment

faster car. I'm new to this. I've been having problems finding add-ons for my 3.8. I have heard people say change out the cams, exhaust. but what kind of cam or exhaust could I put in the 3.8

Comment

If you are new to all of this then I would start with giving this a read over: https://www.camarov6.com/forum/techn...-go-from-there

You can slowly start building your car out with some basic modifications and from there you can decide if you want more / to be faster you can look at going with a cam or supercharger/turbocharger or things like nitrous. Start with the basics, the v6s can be plenty quick and it is less work and a lot more fun in my opinion to challenge yourself to build the v6 than to swap a stock v8 motor into the car.

Comment

Originally posted by LETZRIDE View Post
                  I also don't know what a world class T5 transmission is - is that a company that has rebuilt your T5?

Just a stock GM M49 transmission (Tremec T5 WC)

http://www.tremec.com/anexos/TRSM-T5-0510-R1_173.pdf

Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com "Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Comment

I was at the junkyard and I saw an old buick that has a 3.8 carb. Curious though if the intakes would fit ours.

Comment

I thought the heads on the old buicks were different? If the heads are different I am willing to bet the intakes won't match up

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                        Hello everyone!
                        by Andy H
                        Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                        2 weeks ago
                      • 3.4 slow to go
                        hey there strangers!
                        by 3.4 slow to go
                        been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                        3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X