Exhaust gasket leak at manifold...Weld? - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Exhaust gasket leak at manifold...Weld?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhaust gasket leak at manifold...Weld?

I have an exhaust leak at the engine and I am told the exhaust manifold MUST be removed and a new gasket installed.....this is a very expensive repair....anyone think welding can do it?

Re: Exhaust gasket leak at manifold...Weld?

It's not a expensive repair, it's just exhaust manifold gasket. If their charging more than 2 hours labor then their overcharging you. Also welding is not a option. Also which side is it drivers or passenger side? Drivers is easy , passenger can be a pain , tight space.
    Last edited by ssms5411; 05-17-2016, 06:13 PM.
    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Was told at a shop that it would be $325 and if they break a bolt taking it off...its on me and I have to pay the repair of the bolt they break.

Comment

I would find another shop.
        08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
        96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Talking a 3800 here correct? They are studs not bolts so sorta different, if they get soaked with penetrating oil before hand they will come off with the proper finesse. The only other thing that would need to come loose are the other two bolts that hold the Y-pipe to the manifold. they are metric, I know this for a fact and even those will come out with pen oil. I did all of this on car with 90k miles on it that was still original hardware no problems.

Bottom line is if its leaking at the gasket, which is 2 layer MLS, there is no "welding" option. anything else but the correct way is a hack job. If you can find the time to take it slow and get it all prepped before hand its a weekend job at most. A MAP gas torch can also be your friend with nuts and bolts etc that don't want to cooperate. I had all that apart more times than I can count so I speak from experience on this one.

Good Luck
          Daily: '02 Black Yukon Denali
          Toy: '06 Torrid Red GTO
          Gone: Powerdyned '02 Pewter Camaro
          Gone: '07 Charcoal Yamaha R6
          Gone: Ex-wife, lol

Comment

Thanks for your intelligent reply.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
              Hello everyone!
              by Andy H
              Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
              3 weeks ago
            • 3.4 slow to go
              hey there strangers!
              by 3.4 slow to go
              been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
              3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
            Working...
            X