Another one of those S3 swap threads - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another one of those S3 swap threads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another one of those S3 swap threads

Yeah, I've spent quite the while searching this topic up, and I feel I'm at the point where I can contemplate this without too much hesitation, but there's one thing that stops me.

If I were to go through with this swap (L36 to L26), can I use the flywheel/flexplate that comes with it, or do I have to swap out the one that came from factory on my Camaro's L36?

Also, my harmonic balancer (crank pulley) on the original Camaro engine is not trustworthy. The serpentine belt comes off everytime it rains and if I can use the newer balancer I would prefer to. Can I get away with using the balancer from the S3?

My main goals are to have a reliable engine that is cheap to buy (Camaro engines in my area are expensive and abused), with the opportunity to mod in the future (camshaft, maybe a turbo with 8 or so PSI of boost), and plug and play with no nonsense like SES lights, CASE relearn or any other crazy thing that has been thrown around over the years this has been done.

All help is appreciated.

Re: Another one of those S3 swap threads

You cannot use the Series 3 balancer. You'll have to get a new one if you don't trust your old one. Also, you cannot use the Series 3 oil filter adapter. The front swaybar is in the way of the oil filter, you'll have to change it out for the oil filter adapter off your old Series 2. I'm sure you know about the front accessories and intake and all that. I can't help you on the flywheel/flexplate tho. Mines a manual, so I had to swap the Series 3 flexplate for a flywheel anyway.
    aka FreedStyle
    Chaddrich Freed

(1 of 443) 2002 SLP Firebird GT #107 (244rwhp/254rwtq naturally aspirated)
    2008 Silverado Crew Cab 5.3L 4x4

Comment

Also, I did not have to do a CASE relearn with mine. I reused my old balancer if it makes a difference.
      aka FreedStyle
      Chaddrich Freed

(1 of 443) 2002 SLP Firebird GT #107 (244rwhp/254rwtq naturally aspirated)
      2008 Silverado Crew Cab 5.3L 4x4

Comment

Technically anytime you remove the balancer even if you put the same one back on you need to do a case relearn.
        Daily: '02 Black Yukon Denali
        Toy: '06 Torrid Red GTO
        Gone: Powerdyned '02 Pewter Camaro
        Gone: '07 Charcoal Yamaha R6
        Gone: Ex-wife, lol

Comment

Thats what I thought too about the balancers.
          08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
          96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Well I did the swap, kept the S3 balancer on since I couldn't source a new one that was Camaro specific. Engine runs great. Now as far as CASE relearn, any cheap way to do it?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

Comment

find someone with hptuners

Comment

Isn't HP tuners VIN based or.something like that?

Comment

I would think since the CASE runs from the scanner, license wouldn't matter.
                  Drivetrain Moderator - "There are no stupid questions, only stupid people!"

2001 Pewter Firebird Y87, M5
                  Intake, exhaust, just about every suspension part, alum flywheel & ds, Turn One p/s pump and cooler

Go Sabres!

Comment

Hmm interesting...

Comment

the scanner doesn't need a vin to be used, I've scanned both our explorer and impala with it.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                        Had to get another phone
                        by ssms5411
                        Well my iPhone 11 Pro Max took a dump, it’s in a boot up loop, will try and get it fixed and give it to my mom. So I got a new iPhone 15 pro max, everything...
                        1 week ago
                      • ssms5411
                        Leaking front cover
                        by ssms5411
                        So I’m still leaking coolant, I think it’s my front cover, going to double check when it’s alittle warmer, got the Zzp extra thick timing cover...
                        2 weeks ago
                      • transamtom1
                        Went to look at 2002 V6 Firebird Vert.
                        by transamtom1
                        Local car on a small lot just over 100k mikes(178,000 kms)

Silver with grey leather and black top 3.8L for $5400 cdn or $3975 usd as is....
                        3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X