Oil pan issue...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil pan issue...

Hey guys I have a small issue. Actually is more like a huge problem. My car has aftermarket headers and downpipe. Larger diameter than OEM. Problem is I cant take the oil pan drain plug out with out taking down the Y-pipe. The plug will turn about 4 turns and start rubbing and pushing against the pipe... Anyone else have this issue?? Car came with these parts installed so it wasnt me that did it... Im just trying to fix it... They are Pacesetter shorty headers with Magnaflow y-pipe. Engine is a 3800.

Re: Oil pan issue...

Heat them up with a torch and bend or dimple the tube.

Any competent exhaust shop should be able to help you for 20 bucks and a 6 pack.

Comment

:-( already done. still not even close to being enough...

Comment

Originally posted by 99RamAir View Post
        :-( already done. still not even close to being enough...
        Any way to weld a 45* elbow in to get it away?

Comment

Originally posted by transamtom1 View Post
          Any way to weld a 45* elbow in to get it away?
          Something like that may work... I was also thinking if I could switch to the FWD 3800 oil pan. I am pretty sure the drain on those is on the side of the pan and not the rear so that would be ideal...

Comment

Originally posted by 99RamAir View Post
            Something like that may work... I was also thinking if I could switch to the FWD 3800 oil pan. I am pretty sure the drain on those is on the side of the pan and not the rear so that would be ideal...
            I highly doubt a FWD pan is going to clear the K member.

Comment

I drilled a hole in the bottom of my pan and welded a 1/2" nut where I made the new hole. Bought a magnetized drain plug from speedway been working fine ever since.

Comment

I did notice that the fwd pan wont work so... thats out the window... I think i will try to welding of a new drain on the pan. Probably my best bet at this point.

Comment

Why can't you just use a pacesetter Y-pipe? I never had a problem changing oil after I put the pacesetter headers and Y-pipe on my 3800 and it was 3" pipe.

Comment

I would look into the matching Pacesetter Y-pipe as well. Matching parts almost always work better together than mixing and matching parts. I never had any clearance issues or anything with the OBX headers and Y-pipe that I had.
                    aka FreedStyle
                    Chaddrich Freed

(1 of 443) 2002 SLP Firebird GT #107 (244rwhp/254rwtq naturally aspirated)
                    2008 Silverado Crew Cab 5.3L 4x4

Comment

Originally posted by CFreed11 View Post
                      I never had any clearance issues or anything with the OBX headers and Y-pipe that I had.
                      Nice to know since mine are still in the box.
                      Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com "Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Comment

I do have the 3in magnaflow ypipe.. not sure why i am having issues...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                          Had to get another phone
                          by ssms5411
                          Well my iPhone 11 Pro Max took a dump, it’s in a boot up loop, will try and get it fixed and give it to my mom. So I got a new iPhone 15 pro max, everything...
                          1 week ago
                        • ssms5411
                          Leaking front cover
                          by ssms5411
                          So I’m still leaking coolant, I think it’s my front cover, going to double check when it’s alittle warmer, got the Zzp extra thick timing cover...
                          2 weeks ago
                        • transamtom1
                          Went to look at 2002 V6 Firebird Vert.
                          by transamtom1
                          Local car on a small lot just over 100k mikes(178,000 kms)

Silver with grey leather and black top 3.8L for $5400 cdn or $3975 usd as is....
                          3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X