What'd I do to my engine? (bang!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What'd I do to my engine? (bang!)

Car is a 2001 5-speed Firebird. Build has about 100 miles on it, pretty much the works - Started with a Series 3 block from a FWD with about 18k on it, added Abbott Racing Stage 3 heads, ARH road racing cam, ARH ported intakes, double roller kit incl. zzp milled oil pump cover, pacesetter headers, 30% upsized injectors, and more..

Was doing wideband tuning (FAST unit through EIO). Fuel was tracking commands pretty well, still some nagging knock I hadn't gotten to yet on WOT but cruising well. Just coasting down in prob 4th gear, 2400 rpm foot off the gas, when bang! rattle rattle rattle (metal noise). Pulled over and killed the engine. See the attached jpg for logging info:

Frame ~615 end last WOT run
    Frames 620-640 2 upshifts
    Frames 675 car goes DFCO lean as my foot is off the gas
    Frame 700 something just went wrong
    Frame 725 drop to neutral, bump the gas a couple times (not best idea, but I'm new to the engine metal clanging noise thing)

What's to see? Manifold vacuum gone at idle. About 80-90 versus 50 at the start of the run. Airflow is ~25% lower after as well (less vacuum to pull through the closed throttle plate).
    So I figure I broke something in the valve train, prob intake side, causing gas to get back into the intake.
    Pulled both valve covers - nothing out of the ordinary
    Pulled all 6 plugs - no visible mashing or damage

Before I take more stuff apart, looking for some good educated guesses. What's making the noise and where did my intake manifold vacuum go?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by zlexiss; 10-05-2014, 12:35 PM.
    Drivetrain Moderator - "There are no stupid questions, only stupid people!"

2001 Pewter Firebird Y87, M5
    Intake, exhaust, just about every suspension part, alum flywheel & ds, Turn One p/s pump and cooler

Go Sabres!

Re: What'd I do to my engine? (bang!)

Kinda hard to tell with how small the image is. Looks like you had a lot of KR there.

What does the oil look like?

Some people eliminate DFCO so you don't get lean spikes between shifts.

Comment

Can't tell from the image, its too small for me to read. Are you using a wideband or narrow band for A/F ratio?From your post looks like narrow which is a mistake for tuning, you should use a wideband when tuning. What was the timing set at? How much KR at WOT?
      08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
      96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Sorry forum limits on image size, let me see if I can post an IMG link somewhere. AFR is with a FAST wideband kit. Too bad forum here won't let me upload tune and log files, I can email them if you pm me an address.

Intake, exhaust, just about every suspension part, alum flywheel & ds, Turn One p/s pump and cooler

Go Sabres!

Comment

Go Sabres!

Comment

Sent you a PM.
            08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
            96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Have you done a compression test?
              sigpic

Comment

Sent you a email back to you, forgot to ask what valve springs did you use?

Comment

My guess, based on your post and that you had detonation, you saw nothing out of the ordinary when you had the rocker covers off, the engine still runs but rattles, you now have less manifold vac. and you have less airflow is you broke a piston. I'll be interested to read what you find when you tear the motor down.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                    Had to get another phone
                    by ssms5411
                    Well my iPhone 11 Pro Max took a dump, it’s in a boot up loop, will try and get it fixed and give it to my mom. So I got a new iPhone 15 pro max, everything...
                    1 week ago
                  • ssms5411
                    Leaking front cover
                    by ssms5411
                    So I’m still leaking coolant, I think it’s my front cover, going to double check when it’s alittle warmer, got the Zzp extra thick timing cover...
                    2 weeks ago
                  • transamtom1
                    Went to look at 2002 V6 Firebird Vert.
                    by transamtom1
                    Local car on a small lot just over 100k mikes(178,000 kms)

Silver with grey leather and black top 3.8L for $5400 cdn or $3975 usd as is....
                    3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X