Help! Possibly heads or gasket?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! Possibly heads or gasket?

I was wondering if anyone could help me out. I was driving back from school the other day on the interstate and all the sudden every time it pushed the accelerator there was a knocking sound. As I was looking for somewhere to pull over, it got worse and eventually I lost all ability to accelerate.

I pulled over and popped the hood, there was smoke coming off the engine and what I'm guessing was engine coolant all over the battery and that side of the engine bay.. I don't know too much but from what I heard I think my car over heated, ran dry and may now have a bad head gasket or possibly warped head?

Does that sound right? Also, what are my options??? Is it easiest to try to replace the heads, find a new engine to put in or what? Thanks for any help.

Re: Help! Possibly heads or gasket?

Sounds like a rod knocking. Check your oil level and check the oil for any discoloration.
    If it looks like a milky color it could be a bad head gasket or worse. Also check the coolant level and condition. Start the engine and listen for engine knock if still present engine replacement or rebuild is necessary.

Comment

I would check your heaater hoses to see if there still intact, mybe one cracked or came loose. What was the temp gauge reading when you pulled over? What year F-body is it? Most PCM's will cut the car off at a certain temp to save the engine from over heating. I would listen to 3.4grapeofwrath on the rest.
      08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
      96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

I blew head gaskets and probably multiple other engine components as a result of over heating. Currently I am in the process of a motor swap. We tried instahead, which is basically liquid copper but it was too far gone. However, this may work for you. I decided to do a swap rather than a rebuild just because motors/donor cars can be found cheaply and you don't really know what's wrong with your motor. It would suck to replace the head gasket, rods, whatever get it put back together only to discover you missed something. BTW, we bought our running firebird 3.8L for $300. Great donor price. Then part off the rest and sell to the yard for scrap and you'll break even.

Comment

Originally posted by 3.4grapeofwrath View Post
          Sounds like a rod knocking. Check your oil level and check the oil for any discoloration.
          If it looks like a milky color it could be a bad head gasket or worse. Also check the coolant level and condition. Start the engine and listen for engine knock if still present engine replacement or rebuild is necessary.
          Oh, check this first :tup:

Comment

Clean up the mess. Top off all fluids. If it still runs, start it up and begin troubleshooting.
            If it does not run, time for a rebuild.

Comment

This exact thing happened to me....engine threw a rod....had to replace the engine... NEW engine came from a junk yard....it has low oil pressure and eats gas like crazy. You just can't win. I would like to replace the engine with one of the newer Camaro's but I am not sure I could find someone to successfully do it.
              Last edited by PalmHarborBlkv6; 09-25-2014, 12:27 PM.
              Phil

Comment

You killed it.

What year car is it?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                  Hello everyone!
                  by Andy H
                  Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                  2 weeks ago
                • 3.4 slow to go
                  hey there strangers!
                  by 3.4 slow to go
                  been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                  3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                Working...
                X