5.3 Vortec engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5.3 Vortec engine

I know it'll cost a lot. but I need to know everything i'll need to swap. So can i get a list of everything? Thanks.

Re: 5.3 Vortec engine

I would search it , its been discussed before.
    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

If you have the accessories from the 5.3 you should look into this conversion bracket:
      http://www.ebay.com/itm/LQ-LS1-Truck...1c4a96&vxp=mtr

Otherwise you have to change all the accessories except the alternator and it will need an F-body bracket to make it work. If you do change the accessories to F-body you will also need a f-body crank pulley.

Other than that off the top of my head you will also need
      LS1 intake manifold
      corvette fuel rail if you want to use a fuel return line
      oil pan
      windage tray
      oil pickup tube
      dip stick and dipstick tube
      motor mounts
      wiring harness. the truck harness will work but look horrible f-body is better
      pcm
      radiator - there is a steam tube coming off the heads that plumbs into rad
      steering shaft
      gauge cluster
      trans and crossmember
      cradle

This conversion chart was in an earlier thread:
      http://www.tacreationsusa.com/3_4_3_8_v6_to_ls1.htm
      Last edited by techsan23; 05-14-2012, 03:48 PM.

Comment

look into the super chebby "modern mouse" series
        1978 Formula 461 in progress of being built :rock:
        2013 Ram 1500 Big Horn

former owner of 85 bird w/ 2.8 - 3.4 - 3800 II - 5.0
        94 comero 3.4

Comment

Originally posted by Josh890 View Post
          I know it'll cost a lot. but I need to know everything i'll need to swap. So can i get a list of everything? Thanks.
          You can check out my current project
          http://forum.camarov6.com/showthread.php?t=104970

It CAN be done cheap if you search around and take your time.

I highly recommend using search temptress for Craigslist: www.searchtempest.com/
          and
          www.car-part.com

I haven't gotten to any labor yet but so far my parts total...

1,900 Mile Engine (not even broken in): $900
          LS1 Accessories & Brackets - $550 shipped
          Wiring Harness: $300
          Complete K-Member: $200
          Oil Pan / Windage Trey & Pickup - $200ish
          Transmission - $400

After all the LITTLE stuff it's ganna come down to about $3,000 in parts BUT we have a brand new motor and rebuilt transmission too... so it just depends on how you shop.

I'm not 100% sure if that relocation bracket is going to work btw, I though there was a reason the F-Body's power steering pump was located where it was (due to the long steering linkage or something like that.) Do some research before doing that, if it works though congrats because it will save you ALOT of money.
          1997 Camaro RS W/T-Tops<br />All Stock / 200 HP

Comment

I found a 5.3 for $350 with 75k on it.

Comment

How hard would it be to convert it from an automatic to a manual?

Comment

Wouldn't be too much harder since you have to replace your stock V6 trans anyway, but you will need to clutch, pedals, new center console, clutch reservoir and a few other things...but the M6 is not a cheap transmission so be prepared to spend $$$

Comment

Will I need to do anything with the rear end? How do I know if it has the y87 package?

Comment

Originally posted by Josh890 View Post
                    Will I need to do anything with the rear end? How do I know if it has the y87 package?
                    It will say Y87 on the RPO codes on the Driverside door label. Open the door and there will be a label on the inside of the door - it will say Y87 if it is...but there are some F-Bodies, primarily Firebirds that are Y87's and havent been marked. Mine is as I have 3.42 gears, Z28 rack and a performance exhaust.

The easiest way to tell is just see if your car has a dual exhaust from the factory. If it does then you most likely do.
                    Y87 cars also shift into 4th gear just above 40 MPH as well.

Comment

I would find a 4.8 or 6.0 and build it for boost. you can use a v6 rear end. What gears do you ultimately want? if turbo, 3.42s or 3.23s would be perfect. You can get those in a stock rear too.

Comment

Originally posted by whitdog54 View Post
                        I would find a 4.8 or 6.0 and build it for boost. you can use a v6 rear end. What gears do you ultimately want? if turbo, 3.42s or 3.23s would be perfect. You can get those in a stock rear too.
                        just curious why would a 5.3L be a bad candidate to boost? especially over a 4.8L? Not to say a 4.8L can't be a monster under boost and they're cheap too but why did you opt for a 6.0L when they cost about 4 times more than a 4.8L?

Meanwhile, a 6.0L is a mean motor even N/A if you can get your hands on one.

L92 Heads and a good cam and you're already knocking on the door to 500 Flywheel HP.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                          Hello everyone!
                          by Andy H
                          Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                          2 weeks ago
                        • 3.4 slow to go
                          hey there strangers!
                          by 3.4 slow to go
                          been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                          2 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X