Damm Head gasket........................................ - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Damm Head gasket........................................

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Damm Head gasket........................................

I drove it for about an hour today and noticed it will show on the scanner misfires through 1 to 5. 1,2,4 have low misfires like 5-10 while 3 and 5 are 50-120. After I ran it for awhile I let it heat up to 220 degrees and I think it ran better with running hotter becuase the PO300 light didn't pop up flashing that much. After it cooled down it was about a half of cup low on coolant, I just flushed the system a few days ago and this was the first time ran so it might have been that low because I didn't bleed all the air out. I'm going to run it Saturday on the highway for another hour and see what happens.
    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

So I had another code pop up along with the PO300 its DTC P1361 Ignition Coil Control Circuit Low Voltage anyone know what sets this off? I guess I'll check the ICM connector to make sure the wires are good. After reading up on it, I'm going to go ahead and replace the PCM. Will post my results tomorrow.
      Last edited by ssms5411; 02-14-2014, 09:53 PM.
      08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
      96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Make sure your grounds are good too.

Comment

Replaced the PCM and reflashed it, also did a case learn since this code popped up, DTC P1336 Crankshaft Position (CKP) System Variation Not Learned , Still getting the 1361 and the car is running like crap now, seems it wants to stall at idle and the timing won't go above 10 degrees, so I know its in Limp mode for timing. I still need to check my connections on the ICM and its not losing coolant anymore ,so thats good.

Comment

Found my 1361 code , when I put the drivers side valve cover back on the white ign. wire got caught in the valve cover , fixed it. Still Dtc 300 code though.
            Last edited by ssms5411; 02-16-2014, 09:46 PM.

Comment

So I raised the idle to 1200 rpms, and it seems the PO300 code is gone, ran it for 30 mins. at idle and no code. So I'm happy. My guess would be having a VS cam and 1.7 rockers with big 1.9 and 1.57 Manely valves was causing some false misfires just my guess though, since the car runs great with no stutter or hesitation. I know on ZZP site it says extended idle may cause a PO300 code and thats with stock rockers and valves.
              Last edited by ssms5411; 02-17-2014, 07:00 PM.

Comment

So I dropped off the car on Monday to get the head gaskets fixed and get a call today from the mechanic and hes saying that my harness needs rewiring and its going to be $1800 for the wiring and they need to do it first before the head gaskets can be fixed. Can't believe they were recommended. How does the wiring harness get in the way of doing head gaskets. So I'm picking it up tomorrow and doing it myself, might take me a while but I'll get it done.
                Last edited by ssms5411; 03-17-2016, 05:47 PM.

Comment

Yeah that sounds very odd. Did they say what harness and what it controlled? Maybe it's the harness from your wallet to their pockets.

Comment

He just said there were alot of loose wires and needed to be redone. I told him I swapped trannies from a manual to a auto so theres that extra harness , he said he saw that one but its the main harness and I can tell you it hasn't been touched in 20 years since I've owned the car. So hes full of B.S. I stopped listening to him when he wanted $1800 to do the harness. Just told him I would be down to pick it up in the morning. I absolutely hate scammers and they'll get a piece of my mind when I pick it up. Its going to take me some time to do it but I got one last head gasket job in me.lol

Comment

They are always looking for.more ways to charge. It's always best to do it yourself.

Comment

Ordered some more tools to make it a easier job, already had the parts. On the way back from picking it up it developed a studer in the rpms so I scanned it a the maf came up so replacing that and the fuel filter to make sure plus its due to be changed. Will update when I start tearing it apart.

Comment

Did you pinch part of the wire when you did the head gasket? I've done that...if the wire is damaged, just splice it and move on...I pinched my ground wire way back when...

Why do you need to do the headgaskets Steve?

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
                          1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

When we did the heads in 2012 I didn't use sealant on the head studs so their leaking on the outside studs. I went beck and did the studs inside the valve covers. , that wasn't too hard. When trying to do the outside studs it made the studs too far up and can't get the headers on the drivers side and after that I left tbe passenger side alone. So the head gaskets might be good but I need to get the studs out so the headers will fit. Since I'm in there might as well do the head gaskets again. As far as wires I think tbey saw wbere I ran my fan switch and wire for the tranny. I also had wires from my old nitrous system its all cleaned up now.
                            Last edited by ssms5411; 04-01-2016, 04:25 PM.

Comment

I swear I remember having a similar problem and having to have the bottom of the header plained or something...only when I reused the studs though...

Good luck on it!

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
                              1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

Thanks.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                                  Hello everyone!
                                  by Andy H
                                  Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                                  2 weeks ago
                                • 3.4 slow to go
                                  hey there strangers!
                                  by 3.4 slow to go
                                  been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                                  3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X