0-60 timer questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 0-60 timer questions

Hi everyone. I used the 0-60 timer today for the first time but I found that the timer keeps going when I reach or pass 60 mph. I thought it would stop and record as soon as I hit 60. I had to press Start and then press Stop for the timer to record the seconds but that would not make for an accurate number since I have to eyeball my speedometer guage.

Am I missing something?

Also, what are some good advice to get the 0-60 number down, especially at launch since there seems to be a little lag when taking off.I know there are variables but at least for starters. I only have an Axle-back system which is not going to do anything for speed/launch.

Thanks!

Are you reving it off the starting line, if so what rpms?
    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

I had my foot on the brake and on the gas > then let go of the brake and take off then press start.
      Is the expectation that the 0-60 starts automatically when you take off? Maybe I'm an idiot and I shouldn't press start and let it do it on it's own?

Comment

Brake until about 2k rpms then go see how that works.Youll have to find out he sweet spot where your not burning up the tires and not losing traction. Just experiment and get your dash gauge working. Maybe check the owners manual.
        08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
        96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Unfortunately 0-60 timers are never going to be accurate unless using the race track timing system. There are a lot of things you can do to improve 0-60 times. It would help to know how your car launches as it is right now to help point you in the right direction.

If you are spinning at all, the first step is to get the car to hook. So a set of good tires goes a long way. Gears can help bring down acceleration times and some suspension components can really help you plant the back end down.

Have you had it to the track at all? If so, post your time slip up and lets take a look at what's going on.

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
          1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

How about GPS? Is that accurate Mike? Never had mine to the track, never did a time on it, thought about trying to GPS it to get a base.

Comment

I tried two GPS apps on my phone. I am not sure how accurate they are. It recorded me as 0-60 in 5.99 sec and another time at 6 sec.

Comment

That’s pretty close, I think, when you get your 0-60 timer on the Camaro working it’s something to compare to. What year Camaro do you have?
                Last edited by ssms5411; 05-24-2020, 01:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ssms5411 View Post
                  That’s pretty close, I think, when you get your 0-60 timer on the Camaro working it’s something to compare to. What year Camaro do you have?
                  It's a 2019 1LT

Comment

Originally posted by versionx View Post
                    I tried two GPS apps on my phone. I am not sure how accurate they are. It recorded me as 0-60 in 5.99 sec and another time at 6 sec.

I doubt it is accurate

Comment

The only thing that will be accurate is the time box at the racetrack. The moment your tire breaks the beam it will start the clock.

The GPS timers can’t pick up the moment your car moves a half inch. If you have a hand held time you won’t be fast enough to time it perfectly either.

Does this mean those timers are useless? Not at all. They are good to use if you make some changes to your car you can use them as a bit of a comparison since the delays should remain consistent.

What has you hung up on 0-60?

Comment

According to online ,you should be around 5.4 0-60.
                        Last edited by ssms5411; 05-26-2020, 01:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by LETZRIDE View Post

The only thing that will be accurate is the time box at the racetrack. The moment your tire breaks the beam it will start the clock.

The GPS timers can’t pick up the moment your car moves a half inch. If you have a hand held time you won’t be fast enough to time it perfectly either.

Does this mean those timers are useless? Not at all. They are good to use if you make some changes to your car you can use them as a bit of a comparison since the delays should remain consistent.

What has you hung up on 0-60?
                          I guess what had me hung up was

1. how to get the built-in 0-60 timer to work.
                          2. Expecting the 5.3, 5.4 second 0-60 time.

I just want to know what my base is so to speak and slowly start modding my car to improve both takeoff, speed and see the improvements.

Comment

I guess what had me hung up was

1. how to get the built-in 0-60 timer to work.
                            2. Expecting the 5.3, 5.4 second 0-60 time.

I just want to know what my base is so to speak and slowly start modding my car to improve both takeoff, speed and see the improvements.
                            I got what you are saying now. It's definitely good to use as a baseline but may not exactly translate to track times.

Did you have your timer in the proper mode? I am wondering if maybe you had it set in the 1/4 mile setting?

The time is under the "Performance Menu" on the driver information center. You have to make sure the performance timers are turned on. There is a 0-60, 0-100, 1/4 mile and a 0-100-0 timer in there.

If you set the 1/4 mile timer it will take the data from there and extrapolate it out to the 0-60 and 0-100 timers for your best time. But you would have to travel a quarter mile for this to happen. So if you just hit 60mph and then stopped, you may not have completed your timer if it was set to 1/4 mile or 0-100.

On the driver information center make sure you go to the setup option at the bottom. Then chose the performance menu. This will allow you to turn the individual options under the performance menu on/off. Turn the "performance timer" menu on.

For the 1/4 mile you don't have to continue to accelerate either. You can maintain speed or slow down it should still pull your 0-60 time.

Then remember that practice makes perfect. Do you know what the density altitude is on the day you were trying this too? Weather, humidity and sea level play a massive role into performance of cars.

Comment

So I'm a complete idiot haha. I thought the 'Timer' was the setting but it's not. I went through the settings and found the performance timer and bam!, now I can record my 0-60 lol. I have not had a chance to use it yet though but will try this weekend.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                                Hello everyone!
                                by Andy H
                                Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                                3 weeks ago
                              • 3.4 slow to go
                                hey there strangers!
                                by 3.4 slow to go
                                been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                                3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X