Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ported Throttle Body: Worth It?

Hello V6 folks.
    Wondering if any of you have printed their throttle body. Is it worth it? What difference have you experienced?
    Thank you.
    Joe

I wouldn’t expect big gains NA, if your boosted that’s different.
    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

It's going to depend on the quality of the port job, how much material you take off and how well it is polished. You can gain some power or lose some if you don't do it properly.

As a ball park figure, overkill has an 80mm throttlebody (stock is 72mm) and they are claiming approximately an 11rwhp increase. So expect less than that if you are porting less than 6mm.

What other mods do you have done to your Camaro? I would look at porting your throttlebody if you are trying to squeeze ever last ounce of power out of the car. While it is true that everything adds up, there are other and better bang for your dollar modifications out there that you can possibly do first.

If you don't have too many modifications done, you might consider giving this post a read: V6 Camaro bolt ons and what they do for you

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
      1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

Thank you for your input, guys.
        The only thing I have done to the car is adding a AirAid air intake system. I felt the difference right away. Other than that only cosmetic mods.
        I am not into racing, I'm more of a cruiser, but just wanted to check what's available out there.
        I will check the link you have recommended LETZRIDE

Comment

No worries - we are always happy to help out. Let us know if you have any more questions. A good exhaust system is usually a good second modification. You'll feel a difference and enjoy the sound as well

Comment

Originally posted by LETZRIDE View Post
            No worries - we are always happy to help out. Let us know if you have any more questions. A good exhaust system is usually a good second modification. You'll feel a difference and enjoy the sound as well
            I have the NPP exhaust. Do you think modding it is a good idea?

Comment

As to ported throttle body, the size of our stock throttle plate is actually just right for our engines when running n/a. So no need to increase throttle size through porting. However you can remove restrictions, and any time you do this you'll increase air velocity which will result in gains. Our throttle body has a very large chunk of aluminum protruding into the velocity stack at the maf. This can be completely removed. There's also a small hump in front of the throttle plate, you've gotta be careful there though, as you dont want to remove any material around the throttle plate itself. When I ported mine, I marked the plate's closed position with a sharpie before I removed the plate and started porting. Here are some pics of the stock throttle and my ported job, again from the closed throttle position backwards its totally stock.
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by mdiesel View Post
                As to ported throttle body, the size of our stock throttle plate is actually just right for our engines when running n/a. So no need to increase throttle size through porting. However you can remove restrictions, and any time you do this you'll increase air velocity which will result in gains. Our throttle body has a very large chunk of aluminum protruding into the velocity stack at the maf. This can be completely removed. There's also a small hump in front of the throttle plate, you've gotta be careful there though, as you dont want to remove any material around the throttle plate itself. When I ported mine, I marked the plate's closed position with a sharpie before I removed the plate and started porting. Here are some pics of the stock throttle and my ported job, again from the closed throttle position backwards its totally stock.
                Thanks for posting this! What kind of gains did you see? And did you dyno before and after?

Comment

Thanks for posting this! What kind of gains did you see? And did you dyno before and after?
                  Technically I'm still building this engine, so no dyno numbers yet. But its basic engine theory. Any work you can do to remove restrictions in the intake path,from the tb to the intake valve, you're gonna increase air velocity. And increased air velocity ALWAYS increases power and torque because ultimately your filling the cylinders faster.
                  Gotta remember though, any engine is the sum of its parts. So if the only thing you did was port the tb, you probably wouldn't see much of a noticable gain. Not to say there wouldnt be a gain, but that lone modification isn't gonna shave seconds off track times. But if you port the tb, the intakes, and the heads to where most if not all factory restrictions in the entire intake path are gone , now you're talking about a significant increase in air velocity.

Comment

Sorry I didnt include this last night, got too late... anyway for the OP question of is it worth porting your tb... it depends on how far you're willing to dive into the engine, and what your budget is. Porting the throttle alone , I'd say not worth the effort. But if your gonna port the tb, intakes, and heads... then you might as well go for a cam, all the valve train mods to go with it, headers and a high flow exhaust system . And ofcourse a tune to go with it....
                    hope that helps

Comment

I'll also add - make sure you remove the throttle body from the car to port it and make sure you clean it thoroughly before reinstalling. I know this may sound like common sense, but I have heard of horror stories where people have done this with the throttlebody attached to the car still and metal shavings go into the motor. The results = a spun bearing and blown motor.

Comment

I'll also add - make sure you remove the throttle body from the car to port it and make sure you clean it thoroughly before reinstalling. I know this may sound like common sense, but I have heard of horror stories where people have done this with the throttlebody attached to the car still and metal shavings go into the motor. The results = a spun bearing and blown motor.
                        right, I love the horror stories of people port matching heads with a drill while the heads are still on the motor and in the car...lol

Comment

I just looked at the newer TB looks to be good free flowing so I don’t see the need to port unless your heavily modded.
                          08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                          96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                            Had to get another phone
                            by ssms5411
                            Well my iPhone 11 Pro Max took a dump, it’s in a boot up loop, will try and get it fixed and give it to my mom. So I got a new iPhone 15 pro max, everything...
                            1 week ago
                          • ssms5411
                            Leaking front cover
                            by ssms5411
                            So I’m still leaking coolant, I think it’s my front cover, going to double check when it’s alittle warmer, got the Zzp extra thick timing cover...
                            2 weeks ago
                          • transamtom1
                            Went to look at 2002 V6 Firebird Vert.
                            by transamtom1
                            Local car on a small lot just over 100k mikes(178,000 kms)

Silver with grey leather and black top 3.8L for $5400 cdn or $3975 usd as is....
                            3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X