How to clear the change oil light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to clear the change oil light

The 5th gen Camaro's like many new cars have a sensor that tells you when to change the oil in your car and how much "oil life" is remaining. When you do an oil change in your car, you must reset this sensor for it to remain accurate. Otherwise, you'll find shortly after you change your oil, your Camaro will be screaming at you to change it again.

The below options address the following questions:
    • How can I turn my oil change light off in my v6 Camaro?
    • Do I need a special tool to turn off my "change oil light" in my v6 Camaro?

There are 2 known methods that you can use to reset this sensor - none of which require fancy tools or an expensive trip to the dealership.

Option 1 - common among many GM vehicles:

Turn your ignition key to run but do not start the car. Push the gas pedal to the floor 3 times within 5 seconds. Turn the ignition off, then start the car. Your change oil light should be off.

Option 2

Turn the ignition to on but do not start the car. Press your setup button and go into the display for remaining oil life. Press and hold down the set/clear button on the dic (driver information center) for 5 seconds before releasing. If successful your dash will read oil life set to 100%

Both methods will work on your V6 Camaro.

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
    1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
    Hello everyone!
    by Andy H
    Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
    2 weeks ago
  • 3.4 slow to go
    hey there strangers!
    by 3.4 slow to go
    been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
    3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
Working...
X