Turbo time....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turbo time....

Heres a little turbo that im putting on my car.(been checked out and doesnt need rebuilt, only 40k miles on the turbo) Just a ar. 48. Small but im not looking for crazy boost. The stock wastgate is set to 7psi. So ive got alot of work to do with the exhaust routing and tuning. I think ive decided to go with the $59 mask and bin to tune with, with a 3 bar map, so i can meter and compinsate for the boost, also 22# injectors, so theres only room for about 200-250 hp(turbo will only efficently run up to 16psi/275Hp) but when your starting with 150-160hp thats a big gain. I cant afford the big # injectors. So far i have 0 dollars in this project. So this is the tightest budget build possible. The main costs is going to be for the WB o2 sensor kit and the 3 bar map sensor. Ill update with pics as the progress continues.

Last edited by fasteddi; 01-13-2012, 10:04 AM.

Re: Turbo time....

Looks good, post updated pics when you get started.
    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

heres some of daves pics below...hope he doesnt mind.

I know it wont be as efficent but this it my first attempt at turboing anything.

Im still on the border line of which route to go, so mabey ill still put it in the engine bay, just gets a little crouded when theres 3 different pipes flowing through there....lol
      Last edited by fasteddi; 01-13-2012, 05:43 PM.

Comment

Im sure dave wont mind but what he did with his for a first build is practial, might go this route also.. hes got a great thred that i could follow...
        Attached Files

Comment

looks good. what are the turbo specs?
          Wait, Is that a V6 or V8?
          1990 Chevrolet C-K 1500 series 4.3L .. 5spd
          1994 JDM Euno Roadster 1.8L 5spd Bolt Ons.. etc
          2000 Camaro 3.8L Auto Bolt Ons..etc

Comment

Its not that big at all, t25 turbo, .49 comp .48 exh (its my first turbo buuild so its probly best) its only gonna support 16/psi/275Hp max but it was free and was rebuilt recently. Its of a buddys dsm talon. He got a bigger one on it now.

Comment

I used to have a t25 and a saab intercooler, but I gave those away.

Say, instead of downpipe for your hot pipes, but don't you look for a Fiero log exhaust manifold. I think with some mods to that you can have a direct front mount.

Looking forward to seeing your progress.

Comment

Yea i still need the innercooler, im looking for a cheepie that gets the job done.

What do you mean direct mount?

I also need a blow off valve and oil lines still, ebay looks like a good place to start.:D

Im sure the t25 is only gonna help me so much compared to the t3/4 hybrids out there but im on a budget..lol 2.8 bird, did you ever use the t25???

Comment

Ok heres some of the exhaust that i started on today, i know its not the best but it will work as im basically coping what project89 did on his first 3.1 turbo build.

I need to weld the cap on the y pipe which i think i should make a curved cap so that the ex gasses dont run into that wall that is there. I also need to get ahold of a good 2 1/2 inch 90* bent to weld onto the end of the pipe i have so that I can just put that section on the car, and then clamp on the final 18"" of pipe in(connected to the turbo flange). I can only lift my car up so much (no lift here, only jack stands and jacks) so i wont be able to mount the complete section in at once. After i get this whole section done and the turbo is mounted i then can go from there to make the downpipe(which i will run under the K-member also and back into the cat converter)

Then i plan to run a innercooler in front of the radiator since the A/C is gone there is plenty of room. I will run the charge pipe from the turbo through where my purge can is(cut a hold under it for the piping), then into the I.C then back arround to the Blow off and then throttle body. Im doing the exhaust first because that to me, is the most difficult. Making sure there is plenty of clearence for suspention travel is a PITA with no lift.

Also sorry i spilled rad. fluid all over the place!!!:D

This is where the turbo will be once mounted... basically right where im holding it.

Last edited by fasteddi; 01-14-2012, 04:57 PM.

Comment

More pics... I just ordered a 3 bar map sensor and blow off valve, hopefully i can find a innercooler cheep off someone.

Last edited by fasteddi; 01-14-2012, 05:32 PM.

Comment

This was what I meant by direct front mount with the Fiero's manifold.

No, I never used the t25. I bought that from Hank from Z28 board and I was going to use it on my Fiero, but I sold my Fiero.

Comment

Yea thats what i was planning to do when i know what im a little better at fabrication....lol Im a newbe at all of this..:D

Comment

I got the y pipe welded up and started to think of how i will run the remaing piece to the turbo. Here are some pics.... I suxed at welding, been awhile since i used a stick welder...

Heres what im planning, i just need to shorted the pipe a little and then weld the final piece, its gonna fit in one sold piece.

This is why i need to shorten the pipe...I need it to be about 1 inch closer to the engine.
                          My sad excuse for welding...
                          A few pipes a friend gave me to help the cause!

Comment

You got skills man.

I hope you get some dyno and track times #'s before you install the Turbo. I like to see what your 3.1 can do as NA.

Comment

Is there any reason you're using crush-bent pipe instead of mandrel-bent?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                                Hello everyone!
                                by Andy H
                                Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                                2 weeks ago
                              • 3.4 slow to go
                                hey there strangers!
                                by 3.4 slow to go
                                been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                                2 weeks ago
                              • ssms5411
                                Had to get another phone
                                by ssms5411
                                Well my iPhone 11 Pro Max took a dump, it’s in a boot up loop, will try and get it fixed and give it to my mom. So I got a new iPhone 15 pro max, everything...
                                4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X