New to the camaro world!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to the camaro world!

Ok so I wasn't really a camaro fan until recently when I drove one for the first time. Now I fell in love with them and bought my first one. It's a 88 Camaro RS with a 2.8L automatic. I really enjoy driving it but since winters coming up its going to be put away. but anyways i was wondering what are some good mods for these 2.8l s

Re: New to the camaro world!

A swap.

Comment

Welcome! post some pictars!

You could start with basic breathing mods... intake and exhaust.. differential... suspension... but i dont know anything about the 2.8 unfortunately so im not one to to comment... there should be a few useful things on here for you
      Wait, Is that a V6 or V8?
      1990 Chevrolet C-K 1500 series 4.3L .. 5spd
      1994 JDM Euno Roadster 1.8L 5spd Bolt Ons.. etc
      2000 Camaro 3.8L Auto Bolt Ons..etc

Comment

A great option is a 3.4L swap out of a early 4th gen camaro. Basically the easiest way to get hp and the swap is easy, as im told. The motor is a direct replacement for yours. I have a 3.1L with very little miles, thats the ony reason ive kept my motor in my camaro

The 2.8 MPFI had 135HP the 3.1L MPFI had 140 and the 3.4L had 160HP. so youd be picking up 25 hp and the torq ( i think on your car is ) 160 and the 3.4 is 200. So youd also be picking up 40 lbs of torq.

Motors can be had from 100 bucks up to 800 bucks. Mainly at junk yards. If a engine swap isnt what you want then there are other options. Some bolt on and some other things require a little more work. But these motors can make a little power if you are patient.

Look on thirdgen.org also for the stickys in the v6 section. Lots of great links on there.

Comment

when you talk about mods, are you meaning performance, or appearance? what's your budget, and what are your goals for the car?

Comment

Welcome mang, lets see some pics. I also agree on the 3.4 swap.
            3M MAFIA
            ________
            | Dynomax Catback | Auburn Posi | 3:42s | B&M Ripper | DIY CAI | PVC Mod |
            Next on the list: GT2 Cam| 105# Springs |Headwork| Headers |
            sigpic

Comment

Welcome to having a thirgen!! My fav. camaro by far asides from the firstgens! Lets see some pics and see what you want to do with your car in the future. Mods, apperence, exc...
              what a dumb amimation..but yet funny!:banana:

Comment

Originally posted by Docta View Post
                A swap.
                Com'on now don't be a start a** LOL

You can do the basic exhaust, FIPK, Hypertech Chip, and MSD Wires and NGK plugs.

Comment

Dont do the chip thing!!! Thats a total waste of $$. All itll do is advance your timing a few * .. you can do that on your own for free. You really wana play with the computer just shell out a 100 buck more then the chip cost and get a Megaquirt ECU. At least then youll be getting you $'s worth.

Comment

the unfortunate truth is that with the v6 you will always want what the v8 has, and for the most part you just can't have it. Not to say any of the v6 engines are bad at all, I haven't been in the 60 degree v6 game since I trashed my 94 maro about 2 years ago. If you want to get your hand dirty, put together a megasquirt, and I'm pretty confident there are a couple aluminum head options for the 2.8's iron block. Other than that, I would focus on making the car exactly how you want it in the other ways(lower it, get an exhaust, appearance stuff), drive it and enjoy it.

Comment

I know my car is not fast on by any means but i got it to run 16.7's in the 1/4 mile with very little work and $$. Thats respectible since tbi 305s run about that or a little quicker. I know, because ive raced them and oh does it feel nice to keep up with them even if there V8s are a low grade one. Its still a v8.

But what are you looking for in your car anyways?? Apperence? Handleing? Horsepower??

Just so ya know there are many V6 thirdgens that can run 12s' 13's 14s' in the quarter mile and cost less then a V8 swap. Granted it takes mods and fabrication, but its amazing what boost can do when you have forged internals from the factory.

Comment

My 2.8 kept up with my uncle's 1980 Vette. I thought he was going to put a bus length on me. 2nd race he was hanging on to me. That felt good.

----------------

Yes, you're right about the chip being a total waste of money, but with OBD1 is very hard to precisely tune it. There's hardly any tuning tools or software for this... and I can't do megasquirt here in Calif.

Comment

Well tuning is a great tool for any car but myself, i dont use one either because of the difficuly and the $$ itll run to get the hardwhere all together. That is a goal i want to get at, tuning, but mechanical motor mods are on my list first.

My one friend on thirgen.org, was running hight 14's low 15's in the quarter mile without a tune on his car. Which is very surprising but he did it, with a 3.1L and it was all motor, no power adders. But his comp. ratio was like 10.5:1 or something like that.

Anyone who has speed density (730) Ecu should be greatful. I have it and thats a great reson why I should get into tuning since its much more tuner friendly compared to the (165) MAF system. Im still learning and when I think i actually know what im doing then ill go the tuning route.

Comment

Yes, there are S10's out there with 2.8 V6 running 14 sec. without any power adders too. But their comp. ratio is at 10:1 with aggressive cam.

Comment

Yea its amazing what a highter comp ratio does...sure with I had mine that high. Insted of the 8.5:1 stock ratio.. I think thats what stock is?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                                Hello everyone!
                                by Andy H
                                Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                                3 weeks ago
                              • 3.4 slow to go
                                hey there strangers!
                                by 3.4 slow to go
                                been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                                3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X