Lightweight battery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lightweight battery

Was having a discussion at my mechanics the other day and he was talking about some of the mustang guys that are now running lithum Iron batteries in their cars at the track as lightweight batteries to save weight...wondering if anyone has any experience doing the same?

The battery it appears guys are starting to use (porches/mustang owners and I am sure others) is this one: http://products.batterytender.com/Ba...t-Battery.html

it weighs a total of 3.75lbs and has plenty of juice to crank the car up...it is 12volts and can be charged up pretty quick with a portable charger should you manage to drain it. As you all know, once the car is running the alternator bears most of the grunt work... If I can pick one up for $200-$300 and save 30-37lbs I am extremely interested.... guys will drop $600-$800 on a lightweight hood to save 20-25lbs...

Discuss...

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
    1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

I had a lightweight battery up front before, dont remember the brand though. Had a optima in the back, with my stereo the light weight battery couldn't take it, and my stereo came first.Lol
    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

ya running a big stereo likely won't be possible... but I'd like to get to about 3000lbs again with a fully functional car and without hole sawing this time...the more weight I can take off the front of the car the better 30-37lbs is significant

Comment

Yeah , i remember you hole sawing panels.lol You could do a tubular K with the A-arms that would be alot of weight savings.
        08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
        96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Well that's pretty cool. Theoretically: How are you going to hold it down/secure it? Also is it going in the stock location? (I haven't been following the specifics of your build so I have no idea if you relocated it to the trunk or some such business. In my Bonneville the battery is a big monster under the rear seat. But the car weighs almost 4k so whatever.)

Comment

Originally posted by Namrepus28 View Post
            Well that's pretty cool. Theoretically: How are you going to hold it down/secure it? Also is it going in the stock location? (I haven't been following the specifics of your build so I have no idea if you relocated it to the trunk or some such business. In my Bonneville the battery is a big monster under the rear seat. But the car weighs almost 4k so whatever.)
            When I did my light weight battery it was up front, they make or use to make a steel bar that went in between the terminals. If your going all out race car I could see doing it. But not for a street car.

Comment

Originally posted by ssms5411 View Post
              When I did my light weight battery it was up front, they make or use to make a steel bar that went in between the terminals. If your going all out race car I could see doing it. But not for a street car.
              Oh okay, like an over the top hold down instead of the little rubber stopper that's stock on the F-bodies. Makes sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Namrepus28 View Post

Oh okay, like an over the top hold down instead of the little rubber stopper that's stock on the F-bodies. Makes sense.
                Yes it actually bolted to the factory hold down then went over the battery and connected to the front frame, worked great don't know if they make them anymore though. Don't know what I did with mine probably in a box somewhere.

Comment

Ya you can use a hold down similar to the factory one. When my current battery goes I will likely replace it with this lightweight one. Apparently it is totally capable of being used as a DD. Weight savings off the front is huge.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                    Had to get another phone
                    by ssms5411
                    Well my iPhone 11 Pro Max took a dump, it’s in a boot up loop, will try and get it fixed and give it to my mom. So I got a new iPhone 15 pro max, everything...
                    1 week ago
                  • ssms5411
                    Leaking front cover
                    by ssms5411
                    So I’m still leaking coolant, I think it’s my front cover, going to double check when it’s alittle warmer, got the Zzp extra thick timing cover...
                    2 weeks ago
                  • transamtom1
                    Went to look at 2002 V6 Firebird Vert.
                    by transamtom1
                    Local car on a small lot just over 100k mikes(178,000 kms)

Silver with grey leather and black top 3.8L for $5400 cdn or $3975 usd as is....
                    3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X