Good to have this back!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good to have this back!

I'm really happy to see CamaroV6 back up and running for those of us still hanging on to our beloved V6's. We're still racing our 97 RS almost weekly around Illinois and this morning it was fun to see an old post of mine from 2013 talking about my first time to the track and how much fun it was. My best time slip from that day was:
    60' ... 2.414
    330 ... 6.679
    1/8 ... 10.181
    1/8 MPH ... 71.83
    1000 ... 13.196
    1/4 ... 15.734
    MPH ... 87.44

Fast forward some 4 years later and the Camaro recently ran it's best time ever at Byron Dragway:
    60' ... 2.184
    330 ... 6.338
    1/8 ... 9.782
    1/8 MPH ... 69.44
    1000 ... 12.786
    1/4 ... 15.316
    MPH ... 89.33

Not too bad shaving off a little over 4-tenths with the addition of new wheels, some weight shaving, and a more experienced driver. We're knocking on the door door of 15.2's and I think we will see it later this year when the weather cools off. This off season I will be dropping the 4l60e and giving it a full refresh and a new (higher stall) torque converter so I look for us to see some 14.XX's in 2018, or at least we better. If anyone wants to follow along, our Facebook page is @SJCRacing and we use it to conical our work in the off season and post about our race day happenings to friends and family. I'm always happy to talk drag racing with anyone who's also out their racing! Glad to be back!

1997 30th Anniversary Camaro.
    SLP CAI, Dynomax, PCM tune, SS Hood, Clear Corners, T-Tops, Sony Xplod

TEAM RED

what kind of weight savings? There is a lot of weight that can be pulled from these things. A stall will help you big time

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
    1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

Took all of the rear stuff out, seats, jack, spare. There is nothing in the car past the driver's seat. Fiberglass hood, front sway bar is off, and I got 15" drag wheels to replace the meaty 17's I was running. She's down to right at 3500lbs according to the track scale with my big butt in it. In the not to distant future I'd plan to get Optic Armor windows for both the front and back and look to get the impact foam off the front and back bumpers. If I can't make a ton of power, I can at least make it's work load easier.

TEAM RED

Comment

What about all the suspension stuff? Lightweight K-frame and control arms? Or stuff like lightweight carpet (not sure if yours is installed) stripping out the sound deadning material? 3500 still seems quite heavy, I was at 3040 without me in it and I still had my seats and a full interior with a stock hood.

you can get real creative with these things ;)

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
        1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

Ha ha no k-member unfortunately. Control arms in the rear but not up front which is where the real weight is. Carpet is stock, sound deadening material will come out next year when I pull the carpet. Radio is also out, speakers are out. I'd like to remove the HVAC since it doesnt work anyway but I'm terrified to pull the dash. I'm all ears if you've got suggestions. Shaving another 500lbs would be amazing but I'm 275lbs of that 3500 so it's 3200 currently. I've threatened to put my 140lb wife in it just for kicks and giggles.

TEAM RED

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
            Hello everyone!
            by Andy H
            Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
            2 weeks ago
          • 3.4 slow to go
            hey there strangers!
            by 3.4 slow to go
            been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
            2 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
          Working...
          X