Whisper Lid review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whisper Lid review

I didn't see any whisper lid reviews, so here we go.

I am sure 99% of you have heard of the whisper lid so there is no need to go into detail about what it is. I also know there are becoming increasingly harder to find, but there is a rumor floating around that the company will begin to manufacture them again in the near future.

I know a lot of guys do the intake silencer delete, and shave their lid and think that is adequate. That is simply not the case. I did the silencer delete and shaved my lid, and saw minimal at best gains. I just installed a whisper lid on my full bolt on car today and saw a huge gain. I had my AFR locking in at just about 14.7 during cruising before I installed the lid, and immediately afterwords my afr was 17-20.

If you don't believe me here is my maf scale after some tuning.

stock maf tune

whisper lid part throttle tune (up to 7500Hz) WOT tuning will come tomorrow

As you can see there is a significant amount of airflow increase associated with the whisper lid. If you have a bolt on car I would recommend tuning after the whisper lid for obvious reasons.

Pros
    • HUGE performance increase
    • Cheap
    • Easy

Cons
    • the 98 lid design is poor due to the angled trottle body. I had to use dryer duct for the time being.
    • You have to bend your airbox clips in order to keep the lid fastened down.
    • The need for tuning, if you have a bolt on car because of the amount of airflow increase.

Re: Whisper Lid review

Good deal. Glad to see someone finally showing a difference in numbers on paper (of a sort). Just a couple things to address:

First, you shouldn't have to bend the clips on the air box to get them to fit with the whisper lid. It may be a little tough to get things lined up at first with a newer piece, but make sure that the lip of the air box base is in front of the whisper lid lip when fastening the clips down. You want it to sit with an "underbite" of sort.

Second, tuning is not needed for this. It is recommended for any car with bolt-on modifications. But a whisper lid is typically one of the first bolt-ons put onto a car and can work perfectly fine without a tune. Tuning will certainly benefit, but is not needed to add a lid.
    '99 Camaro
    '04 Saab 9-3 Aero
    '90 Audi Coupe Quattro

Comment

i still want dyno numbers on this

Comment

Originally posted by pace2006 View Post
        Good deal. Glad to see someone finally showing a difference in numbers on paper (of a sort). Just a couple things to address:

First, you shouldn't have to bend the clips on the air box to get them to fit with the whisper lid. It may be a little tough to get things lined up at first with a newer piece, but make sure that the lip of the air box base is in front of the whisper lid lip when fastening the clips down. You want it to sit with an "underbite" of sort.

Second, tuning is not needed for this. It is recommended for any car with bolt-on modifications. But a whisper lid is typically one of the first bolt-ons put onto a car and can work perfectly fine without a tune. Tuning will certainly benefit, but is not needed to add a lid.

well with an AFR of 17+ you need a tune. With full bolt ons including the whisper lid, my WOT afr was around 20. That is very dangerous. I am not saying if you throw a whisper lid on a car you will need to tune. But if you have a full exhaust and a whisper lid your AFR will be WAY off. That tune is for 90*+ weather. If you jump on the throttle on a cold day, you are getting a lot more air then what is safe

Comment

almost done with the WOT fueling

Comment

I want to see some associated scans with these Editor pics. How in the hell do we know these changes are giving you anything close to 0 in your LTFTs?

TEAM C6V6

Comment

ill post up some pics tomorrow. my ltfts are locking in at around -3

Comment

Originally posted by Blizzard242 View Post
                I want to see some associated scans with these Editor pics. How in the hell do we know these changes are giving you anything close to 0 in your LTFTs?
                x2

Every car will differ slightly to some degree in response to mods and tune. The charts you're showing us are from a car that has had the stock tune altered previously to the addition of the whisper lid. For all we know, the post-lid airflow chart and numbers may have been influenced by your previous tuning adjustments.
                '99 Camaro
                '04 Saab 9-3 Aero
                '90 Audi Coupe Quattro

Comment

as you probably know that the stock tune runs quite rich on most 3.8s. My previous bolt on tuning leaned the stock tune out, and I had to reflash the stock tune because my bolt on tuning was WAY to lean to drive with after installing the whisper lid.

So I did start with a stock tune. I am not trying to say a whisper lid will increase your airflow that much. I have a full bolt on car, so of course the gains will be bigger.

Comment

I just don't know my man, I have a turbocharged car and my MAF table runs lower numbers than yours does. I do however have different injectors.

I just don't see how you can truly justify gains by showing MAF table differences. Show me a dyno graph and I'll be happy.

TEAM C6V6

Comment

Originally posted by Blizzard242 View Post
                      I just don't know my man, I have a turbocharged car and my MAF table runs lower numbers than yours does. I do however have different injectors.

I just don't see how you can truly justify gains by showing MAF table differences. Show me a dyno graph and I'll be happy.
                      dyno could be coming as soon as next week. I want to get it on the rollers pre powerdyne install ;)

Comment

Originally posted by arcticbird45 View Post
                        dyno could be coming as soon as next week. I want to get it on the rollers pre powerdyne install ;)
                        Oo a before and after. I was never patient enough to even get my car to the track before I installed the turbo. Powerdyne, that's awesome. Take pics of the build!

TEAM C6V6

Comment

where can you even find a whisper lid? unless you find a wrecked f-body with one they're pretty much impossible arnt they?
                          3M MAFIA
                          ________
                          | Dynomax Catback | Auburn Posi | 3:42s | B&M Ripper | DIY CAI | PVC Mod |
                          Next on the list: GT2 Cam| 105# Springs |Headwork| Headers |
                          sigpic

Comment

hawksthirdgenparts.com

you can get them still in normal or c/f finish.

apparently i've become their personal site endorser...it's no secret.
                            pacesetters|full 3" borla exhaust|3" stainless e-cutout|slp cai & ram intake|c/f whisper lid|tbs|eibach|kyb|stb|sfc's|adj.lca's & phb|slp fan|b&m t5|180*|z06 17x9.5|8000k hids|hptuners|d/s rotors

sigpic
                            gone in body, but not in spirit

Comment

nice! thanks
                              ill check it out
                              3M MAFIA
                              ________
                              | Dynomax Catback | Auburn Posi | 3:42s | B&M Ripper | DIY CAI | PVC Mod |
                              Next on the list: GT2 Cam| 105# Springs |Headwork| Headers |
                              sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X