B&M ShiftPlus+

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B&M ShiftPlus+

I purchased this unit about two months ago, and i planned on writing a review, but i wanted to wait and make sure i had used it a few times first. Well i have used it a few times and i have to say that i like it. I'm sure most of you have atleast heard about the B&M ShiftPlus+ Automatic Shift Improver. You can pick it up from Summit Racing, for about $50. It has three settings: Stock, Stage 1, and Stage 2. After a fairly brief install, maybe 15 minutes, it was up and running. and i have to say i noticed a difference right away! In fact i noticed it as soon as i left my driveway. At first i thought something was wrong because even as i was slowly driving down my street, the car kept reving higher. I checked to make sure i hadn't mistakenly shifted into "1" but no i was in Drive. Then all of sudden the car firmly shifted into 2nd. I have to say i was quite surprised! But after that i understood. The ShiftPlus+ holds each gear a little longer before actually shifting (especially when on Stage 2). It took a little getting used to but now i love it! It put some of the fun back into driving an automatic. Throughout each gear the engine revs a little higher then normal, followed by a shorter, firmer, shift. And not just shifting up, downshifts are dramatically improved! No more waiting for your transmission to realize you want to go faster! So as far as it actually being a "shift improver" yes it definatly does its job. Some concerns have been raised that this unit can, over time, damage your transmission. Well i don't know enough about transmissions so i can't really argue one way or the other about it. But from a lay man's point of view if its not being used i.e.- stock mode, it can't hurt, and i'm guessing that turning it on every once in awhile for a spirited drive wouldn't seriously damage anything, provided your transmission is already in good condition.

Bottom line is that for only $50 and a quick easy install, this unit makes a big difference in shifts. Which is perfect for those of us short on cash, or not inclined to actually open up their tranny to install the TransGo kit. I promise you this thing will put some of the fun back into driving an automatic.

3 Pros

-Cheap, $50
    -Easy installation, 15min, and simply crimp or solder two wires
    -Difference you can feel right away

3 Cons

-May damage your transmission over time
    -Difficult to mount securely
    -Adds one more wire to deal with

Re: B&M ShiftPlus+

I didn't bother to read the whole thing, but I have one of these and took it off. It doesn't make the car shift faster, just harder. Stage one doesn't make a shred of difference, and stage 2 makes it jerk hard- even when going into gear from neutral. Waste of money if you ask me.

Comment

thanks for the review! i just purchased this and am going to install it in the spring, i will be soldering on the wires however for a good connection. Do you have any tips/hints in regards to running it to the engine bay, what panels to remove, where to mount the switch? Thanx for the info!

Comment

I have one and took it off when I got HPtuners. It does make the trans shift harder than stock but not as hard as a valve body kit. Setting one is stock, setting two and three are the performance settings. It feels like it just raises the shift pressures.

Brian
        sigpic

Comment

thats really all im looking for, youd be surprised but my 94 saturn sl2 (aka my winter beater) has something similar to this already built into the car. there is a switch in the center console that says "performance" if you hit it then your shifts are firmed up a bit, nothing killer but you can actually feel a difference.

Comment

Why do you guys all want a harder shift? You should be concerned with a faster shift. Do what you want I guess.

Yes, all it does is increase line pressure.

Comment

I don't think they realize there is a difference in the two. With HPtuners you get better results reducing the shift time tables then you do raising the shift pressures. I think all of your hand held tuners raise the pressure just as the B&M does.

Brian
              sigpic

Comment

Well believe me, if i could afford HPTuners, i would have done that. In the mean time, this works just fine. And it does make it shift faster as well as harder.

In regards to installation, i already had a hole drilled in through the engine bay right behind the pedals, for the power wire to my amp, so i simply made that hole a little bigger. You may not want to do that however, so i think i read something about there already being a place behind the PCM to run the wire through?

I was going to solder the wires, but i decided to crimp them instead so it would be an easy removal.

Comment

yeah its embarassing to say but i went to crimp those stupid pink connectors to the wire and i couldnt do it =( you need like a special tool to crimp it or some **** either way i ****ed them up and now i just figured i'm gonna have to solder them which will be a better connection anyhow, only problem is trying to splice into a 18 gauge wire without cutting it.....

in regards to the pcm hole, yes i have heard there is a grommet to use there, however i'd still like to know which panels to remove to get to that grommet.

thanx tho

Comment

Originally posted by bigbrian442
                    I don't think they realize there is a difference in the two. With HPtuners you get better results reducing the shift time tables then you do raising the shift pressures. I think all of your hand held tuners raise the pressure just as the B&M does.

Brian
                    Exactly. HP tuners you can also reduce torque management at WOT. I recommend HP tuners to anyone who can afford it. If not, a simple valve body upgrade will help. But the Shift+ :tdown:

Comment

Originally posted by greasemonkey
                      Exactly. HP tuners you can also reduce torque management at WOT. I recommend HP tuners to anyone who can afford it. If not, a simple valve body upgrade will help. But the Shift+ :tdown:
                      screw u buddy

Comment

Originally posted by tkoforpresident
                        in regards to the pcm hole, yes i have heard there is a grommet to use there, however i'd still like to know which panels to remove to get to that grommet.

thanx tho
                        to get to that grommet:
                        take off the passenger kick panel. (grommet is in the upper right)
                        then unbolt the pcm (2 10mm iirc) in the engine bay and safley put it ontop of the intake manifold. you can see the grommet from there, and easily run a wire through it.

Comment

Originally posted by tkoforpresident
                          screw u buddy
                          Hey now. Your the one using a shift controller that doesn't help performance at all. :spank:

I just tell it like it is guys, not from speculation, but from my own experience.

Comment

your experience is gay
                            Last edited by tkoforpresident; 12-21-2007, 12:22 PM.

Comment

We prefer homosexual, thank you very much!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X