Moog LCA Bushings.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moog LCA Bushings.

As with most F-body's I had a problem with the dreaded wheel hop. As many know you can solve this by going with aftermarket LCA's. What many don't know is that most of the bushings offered are not acceptable for a street car. Standard 1 piece poly will not offer the proper articulation needed in a turn and will bind up. Rod ends though amazing are a poor choice for street applications due to their short life span with continuous use and their harsh ride quality. J&M offers a decent option with the 3 piece poly and have proven to be a good choice but I wanted to try something a bit more "low tech". I went with stock replacement bushings from Moog. Unlike the stock bushings these are a full bushing not the crappy star design GM went with and they are made from harder rubber. This allows the LCA's to articulate correctly for handling purposes and offers lower deflection than stock bushings which significantly reduces the wheel hop problem. At $40 dollars for the parts and $20 for them to get pressed in they are the cheapest option to solve the problem. This is actually the same bushing GM used to solve the problem in the 1LE cars. After installing these I have really had trouble getting wheel hop out of my car... in fact I haven't been able to do it yet. So all in all I'm pretty happy. Though it's not as cool looking as the aftermarket arms it does the job for street applications just fine. For a straight up drag car poly or rod ends would be preferable by far and for a auto-x/road course only car rod ends reign supreme but as I have said for a daily driver they are just not the best choice.

Pros:

1-Cheaper than any other option
    2-They solve the wheel hop problem
    3-They won't bind like poly and will last much longer than rod-ends

Cons:

1-Definitely don't have the cool factor that aftermarket arms offer.
    2-Won't offer quite as good 1/4 mile performance as poly or rod-ends.
    3-Won't offer as good handling as for auto-x/road courses as rod-ends.
    2001 Arctic White Firebird With Black Drop Top<br /><br />3:42 Gears<br />Zexel LSD<br />BMR upper A-Arms<br />Trans Am exhaust with 3\" I-pipe and cutout<br />Modified intake<br />Mecham Hood<br />Trans Go shift kit<br />Making rear control arms and panhard

Re: Moog LCA Bushings.

Might be cool to say where you got them from, nice review though.
    Drivetrain Moderator - "There are no stupid questions, only stupid people!"

2001 Pewter Firebird Y87, M5
    Intake, exhaust, just about every suspension part, alum flywheel & ds, Turn One p/s pump and cooler

Go Sabres!

Comment

Re: Moog LCA Bushings.

I just got them from the local Central Autoparts, but they are the same price from summitt.
      2001 Arctic White Firebird With Black Drop Top<br /><br />3:42 Gears<br />Zexel LSD<br />BMR upper A-Arms<br />Trans Am exhaust with 3\" I-pipe and cutout<br />Modified intake<br />Mecham Hood<br />Trans Go shift kit<br />Making rear control arms and panhard

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
        Hello everyone!
        by Andy H
        Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
        2 weeks ago
      • 3.4 slow to go
        hey there strangers!
        by 3.4 slow to go
        been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
        2 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
      Working...
      X