Auto Meter Pro-Shift Light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Auto Meter Pro-Shift Light

The Pro-Shift is an independently operating shift light with advanced microcircuitry. The shift point is selected by inserting a precisely-calibrated RPM module "pill" into the unit. The amber light activates when the engine reaches the chosen RPM. State-of-the-art, low current circuitry makes this ideal for battery operation. Models are available for Standard/Electronic, Vertex, and Super Mag ignitions. A variety of clearly marked rpm module "pills" are available.

Considering the price to benefit ratio of this newest little toy, I gave it a shot in my 98 Firebird with a 5-speed. I was getting sick of staring down at the tach when flying down the track, so I figured this might help make it more "heads up" driving. I got it for $65 from Performance Unlimited and the pack of "pills" contained 5000, 5200, 5400, 5600, and 5800 rpm settings and cost $25. I didn't like the idea of personally having to run wires from the dashboard through the firewall to the engine bay, so I had my usual mechanic check the wiring schematics and install it for me. Took him about an hour, the toughest part was getting to the white tach wire that leads from the engine to the dashboard; this wire was spliced in order to get the signal to the light. We mounted the unit at the base of the left dashboard A-pillar. It looks very professional and adds a touch of racing style to the car. I fired her up and gunned it in neutral, sure enough the light came on at 5200 rpm. Excited, I took it out for a spin.

Analysis? This is one very cheap, very effective modification that I EXTREMELY HIGHLY reccomend to any manual driver. This little toy is incredible! Sure enough, when you're accelerating hard it works very accurately. The greatest benefit is the heads up effect; I never need to look down at the tach to make sure I'm shifting just at the right time--all I have to do is look at the road and boom, it's time to shift. Consistency during bracket racing is greatly improved.

The light is quite bright but does not hurt your eyes. Mine is aimed at my left eye, and during the day it is definitely noticeable but not unpleasant. At night it is a tad blinding but the kit does come with a rubber night cover. I rarely pound the gas at night, though, and I've never used the cover with no problems so far.

If you drive a manual, this is absolutely a wonderful little part to add. I strongly feel this should be standard equipment on all manual sports cars. Combine this with a short throw shifter and you'll be one content driver. Happy shifting!

3 Pros:

</font>
    • "Heads up" shifting</font>
    • Adds a touch of racing style to the car</font>
    • Affordable</font>

3 Cons:

</font>
    • A pain to run the wires during install</font>
    • Bright at night when cover is not used</font>
    • Sometimes lights up for no apparent reason</font>

[ March 06, 2004, 01:06 PM: Message edited by: Stefan ]

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
    Hello everyone!
    by Andy H
    Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
    3 weeks ago
  • 3.4 slow to go
    hey there strangers!
    by 3.4 slow to go
    been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
    3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
Working...
X