SLP Cold Air Induction (CAI) for 95-97 3.8 - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SLP Cold Air Induction (CAI) for 95-97 3.8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SLP Cold Air Induction (CAI) for 95-97 3.8

Generally, engines straight out of the factory have potential to produce power far greater than what they produce when you drive off the lot. The most common first steps to unleashing the potential is to allow the engine to breathe by giving it a good intake and exhaust setup. Factory intakes are, in general, highly restrictive and provide very little airflow into the engine. Two solutions to this problem are either a ram air or cold air intake. Both will give you about the same performance benefit. Ram air systems involve ram air hoods which look far better but also cost exponentially more (typically $800-1,200). The SLP cold air intake is a great affordable first step for improving performance.

The kit typically retails for $200-$250. Installation can be done at home in an hour or two. Basically, the stock airbox is completely removed and the SLP takes it's place. The most difficult part is fitting the filters onto the pipes; this must be done from underneath the engine bay (plastic splashguards can be removed on the underside of the engine bay just behind the driver's side headlight).

Although I was told it would not fit, I went ahead and ordered mine and spent four hours adapting it to fit my 98 Firebird. The biggest problem I had was that upon removal of the fuse boxes I discovered a lot of metal in the way that would not allow the pipes to fit. So, I took a hacksaw and enlarged the holes in the frame; you can see what I mean if you remove your fuse boxes and look at the metal underneath, it sort of crosses over so there is no room for the pipes. Hey, if I can do it with absolutely no mechanical skill, you can do it. [img]smile.gif[/img]

One thing you may want to do is reset your computer after installation, this will allow it to account for the added air intake and add the corresponding amount of more fuel into each cylinder (i.e. produce more power). To reset your computer, disconnect the negative terminal on your battery and let it sit for about half an hour. After reconnecting the terminal, drive for a good half hour or so and throttle it quite a bit so it gets used to heavy acceleration. Also, driving at highway speeds also allows for more airflow which means the computer will "notice" more air coming in. Some say this is not needed, but it's a good idea just to be safe.

There is a noticeable seat-of-the-pants improvement in power with the new intake. I suspect that it actually benefits the 98-99 models more than the 95-97 because of the location of the stock airbox. When the engine is cold you can really hear the swish of the air flowing through; this sound diminishes as the engine heats up. There were rumors a while back that because the pipes are metal they will heat up and supply the engine with hot air; this is not true. One guy posted a message about how he took thermometers and actually measured air temperatures and found absolutely no heating, you also tell by touching the pipes which are still cold even after driving in traffic.

It's actually very difficult for me to think of three cons for this one, so as you may notice the cons are pretty weak. Overall this is an excellent product and I highly reccomend this as anyone's first modification. Start with intake and exhaust. Keep in mind also that the performance gain from this kit also depends on the exhaust setup. If you're running a stock engine and exhaust you'll get a good gain, however, if you already have upgraded exhaust you'll get a much more powerful benefit out of this intake. Intake and exhaust complement each other and work best together.

3 Pros:

</font>
    • Solid performance benefit</font>
    • Show-quality looks</font>
    • Nice sound</font>

3 Cons:

</font>
    • A tad expensive for an intake</font>
    • Installing the filters is a tight fit</font>
    • Filters are not "Genuine K&N" (though the K&N Recharger cleaner works just fine)</font>

[ March 06, 2004, 01:11 PM: Message edited by: Stefan ]

Re: SLP Cold Air Induction (CAI) for 95-97 3.8

Informative! Been thinking about doing this upgrade.

Comment

I have this done and I will whole heartedly recomend it. It's a fun upgrade. Fairly easy as well, though I do have to say cleaning the filters every 3,000 miles gets a bit tedious.

The pipes also do not get hot. I constantly drive the car for miles at a time, and the pipes are still cold.

Comment

how many horses gained

Comment

Originally posted by PONTIACMSJ91 View Post
          how many horses gained

I don't know. I never dynoed it, before or after. And HP doesn't really matter, it's not a race car.
          But you DO feel it. You hear the whoosh and whistle of air being sucked in. And more so, I noticed it had better highway responsiveness, and that's when our V6 cars tend to expose that indeed we are driving 6 cylinder cars. It's much more responsive all around, but highway was the real kicker.

Comment

I love mine! Looks just like that one... :)

Comment

Throw that on, then exhaust, then het HP tuned.

Comment

I just got mine on with the stock exhaust but man it sounds great when you get on it!!! I can't wait for my cat back! It seems like I lost some low end torque but my mid range power seems greater. Plus it sounds like a jet!!! :woot:

P.S. I did have to trim off a couple off a bt to make it fit over the intake.
                Last edited by phoenix_rising; 05-27-2009, 12:10 AM.

Comment

good info
                  3M MAFIA
                  ________
                  | Dynomax Catback | Auburn Posi | 3:42s | B&M Ripper | DIY CAI | PVC Mod |
                  Next on the list: GT2 Cam| 105# Springs |Headwork| Headers |
                  sigpic

Comment

I just put this thing on, wow! I have stock everything and it still added some hp, enough to squeal the tires. The only con that I can say is that they send instructions for a v8 so there is some confusion, I called SLP and the way they told me to put it in took about 20 minutes plus they mailed me some stickers to boot.

Comment

The only problem I had with mine, well ii guess it wasn't much of a problem, but anyway the little sensor you have to plug into the elbow (I think its the iat) was a TIGHT fit. The wires that run to it are tight as hell, I had to try and stretch them to get the sensor in the elbow. I didn't notice much change in tone either, just a little gurgle at idle when its cold.
                      Last edited by espey_16; 12-10-2009, 10:05 AM.
                      1997 Chevrolet Camaro
                      L26, Pacesetter headers, SLP cai, Centerforce DF clutch, Pro 5.0 shifter, UMI short stick, 1le driveline, J&M 35mm front swaybar, UMI lca's/phb/sfc's, KYB AGX shocks, Hotchkis stb.

Comment

I just cut the tape that was binding the wires together, no problem at all

Comment

Im really considering this upgrade, would be the first of many. I was wondering if you guys have any pic or can possibly get some? I mean it looks pretty straight forward :D so it just completely takes the place of the stock intake? Because I have seen some that branch off the side, was just curious thanks

Comment

It does, just take off the stock intake crap an fit the sucker in, be careful because there is a technique to putting it in, but should only tak about 20-30 min at most.

Comment

I bought an SLP kit for my Camaro, and ended up removing after a couple of months. My engine isn't the quietest motor in the world, and all that noise resonates right through those pipes. It sounded like rocks bouncing around my intake tubes.
                              1996 Camaro. \"RedKnight\" on MOFBA.org.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                                Hello everyone!
                                by Andy H
                                Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                                3 weeks ago
                              • 3.4 slow to go
                                hey there strangers!
                                by 3.4 slow to go
                                been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                                3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X