This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3.8 V6 A4 to 5.7 LSI M6 swap

What all would need to be done? Besides obtained the engine and the tranny ect, ect. Is there any other details I need to know before engaging in this project?
    AIM: escalier deverre<br />\'02 Pearl Blue Metallic RSX-S (daily driver)<br />\'98 Black Firebird<br />98 V6 turbocharged to 02 LS1 swap<br />\'02 LS1/4L60E<br />LS6 Block, LS6 Intake Manifold, Thunder Racing 215/220 .600/.523/115 Cam, Titanium Retainers, Crane Double Valve Springs, 125 shot NX Wet Kit w/ NOS brand Purge, True Dual \"H\" Pipe w/ two chambers and dumps, 17x11(rear) and 17x9.5(front) Black Powdercoated ZR1 Replicas on 315 and 275 BFGoodrich Comp T/A\'s (Street)/ET Drags/Skinnies on Weldlites(Track), 3.42/LSD

imnot even sure of what all needs to be done
    engine tranny computer gauges engine mounts going to be more money than it is worth just buy an 8
    2001 SOM Camaro SS<p>Direct flo lid---Lakewood LCAs----Edelbrock Torque Arm-----Lous Short Stick---Dynomouth 3\" Exhaust---SLP Center Mount Exhaust---Poly tranny and torque arm mounts.<p>My site....http://community.webshots.com/album/49413018hRfdbP

Comment

they dont make it easy do they :(
      AIM: escalier deverre<br />\'02 Pearl Blue Metallic RSX-S (daily driver)<br />\'98 Black Firebird<br />98 V6 turbocharged to 02 LS1 swap<br />\'02 LS1/4L60E<br />LS6 Block, LS6 Intake Manifold, Thunder Racing 215/220 .600/.523/115 Cam, Titanium Retainers, Crane Double Valve Springs, 125 shot NX Wet Kit w/ NOS brand Purge, True Dual \"H\" Pipe w/ two chambers and dumps, 17x11(rear) and 17x9.5(front) Black Powdercoated ZR1 Replicas on 315 and 275 BFGoodrich Comp T/A\'s (Street)/ET Drags/Skinnies on Weldlites(Track), 3.42/LSD

Comment

It's not to bad. I'm currently doin the swap in my 97 Camaro. Here's the list I had made for me by my dad's friend who is a master mechanic:

1.) 5.7 LT1 Engine from a 97 Z28
        2.) Tranny from 97 Z28
        3.) 97 LT1 ECM
        4.) 97 LT1 Wiring Harness
        5.) Y-Pipe from 97 Z28
        6.) Fuel Pump from 97 Z28
        7.) Enine Cradle from 97 Z28
        8.) LT1 Radiator
        9.) V8 Springs/Shocks all around
        10.) New Guagues for 97 Z28

I'm getting all my stuff from www.tacreationsusa.com . They are really col and they have some really nice egine prices. If you were to do a conversion like me, you'd have to have evrything come from a 98 TA, just like mine's from a 97 Z. I'm paying $1,900 for the engine, tranny, ecm, and y-pipe. I've had my conversion priced at about $5,000 right now. Not that bad (To me at least.)
        - Matt<p>Red 1993 Camaro Z28 M6<p>My <a href=\"http://brightred93z28.fbody.com\" target=\"_blank\">Webpage</a>

Comment

Well, i might as well start off and say hi.. =]

I'm new to the forums, and well hopefuly you'll see me more often.. well here i go.. I've got a question to add..

I recently purchased a 93'Firebird 3.4L V6( i know i got ripped but i'm eating it now... [img]graemlins/crybaby.gif[/img] ) Anyhow, i recently learned that for about 6,000 the V6- LS1 Conversion can be done.

I guess my true question is, would i be able to replace my V6 with the V8 LS1 even if There were no LS1's in 93?? I figured since after 93 F-bodies really didn't change very much, it wouldn't be a problem... Anyinfo on this would be helpful.

Ps- If this topic has been beaten to death for give the poor newbie! :D
          93\' Firebird 3.4L - Stock -

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by FBird_NY:
            Anyhow, i recently learned that for about 6,000 the V6- LS1 Conversion can be done.

....would i be able to replace my V6 with the V8 LS1 even if There were no LS1's in 93??
            <hr></blockquote>

No, an LS1 wouldn't fit correctly. That's why GM redesigned the front ends on 98+ F-Bods. The LS1 has to have a bigger engine bay. You could put an LT1 from a 93 - 96 in there and it'll work just fine!
            - Matt<p>Red 1993 Camaro Z28 M6<p>My <a href=\"http://brightred93z28.fbody.com\" target=\"_blank\">Webpage</a>

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>No, an LS1 wouldn't fit correctly. That's why GM redesigned the front ends on 98+ F-Bods. The LS1 has to have a bigger engine bay. You could put an LT1 from a 93 - 96 in there and it'll work just fine!
              <hr></blockquote>

Thx for clearing that up for me, now i don't have to buy parts for something that wouldn't fit! :D This also means less price for the engine...

I do have another question for ya, i presume it's a matter of taste, but do most people prefer the Manuel(SP?) or Auto?? I know everyone has their own views on this, but since i've been driving the Auto for some time now, i'm kinda used to it, but driving a manuel is so much fun.. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
              93\' Firebird 3.4L - Stock -

Comment

I think most people perfer auto's just because their "easier". Yea manual's are fun and I wish I had gotten one but sometimes I am glad I had gotten an auto. Just my 2 cents, but overall it is a matter of opinion over auto and manual. ;)
                Email: Preki1212@hotmail.com

Comment

$5000 so far for a 280hp LT1? Why not just buy a turbo buick 3.8 engine complete for around $2-3000, do some basic mods to the car to make it fit, and now you have a 500+hp potential engine for the same price as the LT1 and the LT1 setup will NEVER be as fast or get as good gas miledge... If you want an LT1 car, buy one. They sell for 4-8k now for mid 90s in good shape, at least hear in FL.
                  Ric Johnson<br />----------------<br />1995 Pro AM III #12<br />3.4 A4<br />KN FIPK intake with ram air mod<br />Flowmaster exhaust<br />RKSport IAT sensor <br />ASP Underdrive pullys<br />TB Bypass<br />PF52 larger oil filter<br />3.42 non posi rear end<br />DeCarbon Trans Am shocks<br />Eibach pro series springs<br />B&M Shift Plus+ (best $40 ive ever spent)<br />Custom made billet alum front end inserts<br />Interior trim painted to match the car<br />Awia CD player with factory bose sound system<br />Viper alarm system<br /><a href=\"http://www.proam.webhop.org/\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.proam.webhop.org/</a>

Comment

I thought there were some legal issues to putting an older motor into a newer car. The emissions alone would be difficult to meet. And even if you don't have emissions testing now, neither did I, but come May 1, I will. So I don't think anyone should just ignore that issue because they currently don't have any. What happens in a couple years after you have spent thousands to swap this mega motor and the state comes a callin'! Just something to consider. Maybe it's possible to make an 80's motor meet current standards, but if its making 500+ hp, I doubt it.

As far as the LS1 not fitting in a 93-97, I thought it was only the front end that was changed And that looks like it was only to fit the new intake/filter setup. What other areas changed that prevent the LS1 from fitting in earlier years? The filter system could easily be moved to behind the headlight if that was the only fitment problem.

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Backfire:
                      I thought there were some legal issues to putting an older motor into a newer car. <hr></blockquote>

- That's why I'm buying the LT1 from a 97 Z28. Mine's a 97 V6. I like my 6, but I've always wanted a Z28. I won't trade my baby in because I'm just too attached to her. I've done so much with her and I want her with me for a long time. Besides, I wouldn't get what she was worth at any dealership. I'm getting a rebuild title and a new VIN# from a donor 97 Z28 convertible.

As far as the LS1 not fitting in a 93-97, I thought it was only the front end that was changed and that looks like it was only to fit the new intake/filter setup. What other areas changed that prevent the LS1 from fitting in earlier years?[/QUOTE]

- The engine bay has different dimensions. It's wider and taller for the LS1. That's the whole reason GM had to redesign the front ends. If it wasn't so big, they would have kept the original fronts.

Comment

My comments about the swap were directed towards the Turbo V6 suggestion, not the LT1. From the info I have found on here it sounds like there shouldn't be a problem as long as the motor was made for a passanger car and came from a newer vehicle.

As fare as the redesigned engine bay, does that mean it should be easier for the 98+ V6 guys to change there plugs? That they should have more room in the engine bay? I am not arguing with you at all, just hadn't heard that about the engine bay until now. Plus, the cosmetic changes allowed GM to set apart the LS1 cars and probably coax some current V8 owners to purchase new on looks alone.

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Backfire:
                          As fare as the redesigned engine bay, does that mean it should be easier for the 98+ V6 guys to change there plugs? That they should have more room in the engine bay? I am not arguing with you at all, just hadn't heard that about the engine bay until now. Plus, the cosmetic changes allowed GM to set apart the LS1 cars and probably coax some current V8 owners to purchase new on looks alone.<hr></blockquote>

I thought it was cosmetic as well for the longest time. How I found out about the engine bay size was when two guys in my club decided to swap engines (A 98 TA and a 96 Z28) The LT1 fit quite nicely in the 98 bt we soon found some difficulties in the 96 w/ the LS1 The engine bay was a bit tight and we couldn't match up some holes. We called another guy who is a GM tech and he told us about the diff. engine bay dimensions. We did get it to fit eventually with some "ghetto-rigging" but it's still quite tight under there.

Comment

how come it is so much. i am buying a complete conversion kit to go from a 3.4 to 5.7LT1 and the whole kit is only $2000. Are you guys paying sombody to do it for you? I will be doing this my self so is there somthing that i am missing.
                            94 3.4l firebird<br />-Flowmaster 80 series exhaust<br />-SLP CAI<p><a href=\"http://beta.hometown.aol.com/trooper7771/images/meangreen%204.jpg\" target=\"_blank\">http://beta.hometown.aol.com/trooper7771/images/meangreen%204.jpg</a>

Comment

You got EVERYTHING you need for $2000? There is no way you got the motor, tranny, mounts, computer, wiring harness, all of that for $2000...
                              You gotta hook me up with a link if this is true :D
                              <b><a href=\"http://members.cox.net/95batmobile/d86f.jpg\" target=\"_blank\">Sinister Six©</b></a><br /><a href=\"http://www.sounddomain.com/id/95batmobile\" target=\"_blank\">My \'95 Bird</a><br />I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• 3.4 slow to go
                                hey there strangers!
                                by 3.4 slow to go
                                been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                                11 hours ago
                              • ssms5411
                                Had to get another phone
                                by ssms5411
                                Well my iPhone 11 Pro Max took a dump, it’s in a boot up loop, will try and get it fixed and give it to my mom. So I got a new iPhone 15 pro max, everything...
                                1 week ago
                              • ssms5411
                                Leaking front cover
                                by ssms5411
                                So I’m still leaking coolant, I think it’s my front cover, going to double check when it’s alittle warmer, got the Zzp extra thick timing cover...
                                2 weeks ago
                              • transamtom1
                                Went to look at 2002 V6 Firebird Vert.
                                by transamtom1
                                Local car on a small lot just over 100k mikes(178,000 kms)

Silver with grey leather and black top 3.8L for $5400 cdn or $3975 usd as is....
                                3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X