Energy suspension Trans mount install guide - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Energy suspension Trans mount install guide

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Energy suspension Trans mount install guide

Lots of ppl have a problem with vibration and gave up on ES poly mount.
    This is my solution for it:

http://www.turbofirebird.com/Default.aspx?tabid=75

works perfectly fine. inspected after 6 month - all good.

Re: Energy suspension Trans mount install guide

Cool idea... only suggestion I have is when you buy the longer bolts, I would get higher grade automotive bolts. They sell them at most car stores, maybe not the length you want, but Lowes will most likely have them.

Its not as firm as a poly mount, but I bet its a good setup. I might be tempted to try it.

Comment

dosen't that negate the point of the polymount?
      99 WS6
      13.25@104.97 - Lid + soon to be more other stock items ;D

Originally posted by camaroextra
      tears are great lube, but its hard to get a girl to cry onto her own ***.

Comment

and what is the point of the polymount?

Comment

the point of the polymount is to be stiffer and with stiffness comes vibration. The rubber one is a "people friendly" mount not a performance mount. The rubber stock one absorbes the vibrations thus making it a comfy DD. Rubber also allows the tranny to move a littlebit which is why poly is better. Take my WS6 for example. I tore my rubber mount in half. Why? Because the rubber mount is a piece of **** and when I floor it my tranny jerks like a bull with a rider and ripped the pos in half. Poly is stronger, better and longer lasting. The only downfall of the poly is that it doesn't absorbe vibrations so the vibrations get transferred to the cabin.

By putting rubber imbetween the load plate and the mount itself you have basically negated the point of the polymount.
          99 WS6
          13.25@104.97 - Lid + soon to be more other stock items ;D

Originally posted by camaroextra
          tears are great lube, but its hard to get a girl to cry onto her own ***.

Comment

Not really, its a lot less rubber than otherwise would normally be there, so it's still going to be a LOT stiffer, and it mainly raises it up. If you used a poly endlink kit, it would work fine and you wont have this issue. I like the idea, I just dont know how well I trust it.
            2002 5-spd NBM Camaro
            Details: www.1lev6.com

Comment

Originally posted by shock_core
              the point of the polymount is to be stiffer and with stiffness comes vibration. The rubber one is a "people friendly" mount not a performance mount. The rubber stock one absorbes the vibrations thus making it a comfy DD. Rubber also allows the tranny to move a littlebit which is why poly is better. Take my WS6 for example. I tore my rubber mount in half. Why? Because the rubber mount is a piece of **** and when I floor it my tranny jerks like a bull with a rider and ripped the pos in half. Poly is stronger, better and longer lasting. The only downfall of the poly is that it doesn't absorbe vibrations so the vibrations get transferred to the cabin.

By putting rubber imbetween the load plate and the mount itself you have basically negated the point of the polymount.
              FYI: engine and transmission as one piece has 3 point support system. 2 mounts upfront and one on the far back. 2 front ones hold the 90% of the powertrain and transfer the 90% of the torque to the frame, the rear one keeps the system leveled and prevents from moving the tail from side to side or up and down during driving and it is NOT designed to transfer engine torque to the frame - that’s engine mounts job. Lets take your WS6 for example, you tore your robber in half why? Because you are pushing more power to the ground as factory engine does causing front mounts to squeeze more than it suppose to or your front mounts are shot and of course your trans mount goes in two pieces and if you will put stock replacement back you will kill it too not because its “a piece of ****”, because you are fixing it in the wrong place. By putting robber under the poly I will raise the tail to the factory level, will remove the stress from crossbar, will let the engine mounts do their job, and at last will prevent cabin from vibrations. Energy suspension polymount was never designed for v6 fbody, by installing it alone you are violate engine transmission-rear end geometry and torque distribution. The symptoms are vibrations premature failing of RTS, Rear Pinion seal, yoke and yes you will loose few precious hps.
              Last edited by iGoRa; 12-18-2006, 11:35 PM.

Comment

Dominic, I took those pictures after half a year of it on the road, and I did inspect it last week - they all are in same conditions as they were 9 month ago. No wear. If you are concerned , like I said , just use Energy suspension components all around.

Comment

I'm about to do this, can some one tell me how much longer the bolts need to be using the rubber bushings? Also maybe the size of the stud, so I don't have to take it off and go to the hardware store. Save me so time. Thanks Steve
                  08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                  96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Found it on my own from parts manual, stock is M10x1 , so I think I need a M10x2. I think a extra inch should be enough.
                    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Originally posted by ssms5411
                      Found it on my own from parts manual, stock is M10x1 , so I think I need a M10x2. I think a extra inch should be enough.

No - stock bolt is a Grade 10.9, M10x1.5 thread, 33mm long.
                      Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com "Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Comment

Nice , thank you Robert

Comment

Thought I would give an update on the poly swap. After the swap It did vibrate just a tad more but the shifts were firmer and alot smoother.I already have the ripper shifter. I retighten the bolts after a week which would of been around 300 miles and now there is no noticable vibration just cleaner and smoother shifts. Great mod. I only did 1 bushing between the poly mount and tranny to get the tranny at the right level. I didn't put a spacer between the bolt and poly mount. Great right up. Highly recommend. This was on a M5.

Comment

Originally posted by ssms5411
                            I only did 1 bushing between the poly mount and tranny to get the tranny at the right level. I didn't put a spacer between the bolt and poly mount.
                            Got a photo?
                            Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com "Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Comment

When I do my front ball joints and tie end rods this weekend, I'll take some pics. I also only used m10x2 blots. I didn't need the m10x 2.5
                              Last edited by ssms5411; 02-02-2007, 05:18 AM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                                Hello everyone!
                                by Andy H
                                Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                                3 weeks ago
                              • 3.4 slow to go
                                hey there strangers!
                                by 3.4 slow to go
                                been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                                3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X