How do you change a Fuel Pressure Regulator on a 3.8 - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you change a Fuel Pressure Regulator on a 3.8

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you change a Fuel Pressure Regulator on a 3.8

I notice it's all the way back. Haynes book made it sound like it's easy but it sure doesn't look like it. I'm starting to hate this book.

Can someone please give me a step by step instruction on how to do it and in return, I will ask God to Bless You. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Thanks

1998 Firebird . 1989 Firebird XS . 1986 Fiero GT

So nobody here has ever changed theirs. I mean if your car is hard to start and requires a few cranking because fuel is not adequately getting to the injectors--this is the thing you replace.

So anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

Comment

You can use a fuel pressure gauge to see if the FPR is leaking down too fast.

To change the FPR, you'll have to remove the fuel rail. That's kind of a pain in the *** to do, depending on if you can get access to it. You'll need a torx bit to get the MAP adapter off.

Once you get to it, it just unscrews from the fuel rail.
      Matt
      1998 Mystic Teal Camaro M5
      Whisper Lid, Pacesetter Headers, Catco Cat, Dynomax Super Turbo, B&M Shifter, BMR STB, LSD, P&P Intakes, GT2 Cam, Comp OE Lifters, 1.7 Roller Rockers, Pushrods, SSM Heads, DHP PowrTuner.

Comment

You might want to look toward your fuel pump, thats exactly what my car did when my pump took a dookie.
        1997 Chevrolet Camaro v6 - 13.8@104MPH
        1997 Dodge Viper GTS

Comment

I just changed my FPR about 2 weeks ago. The car was hard to start and it ran rough for about 10 seconds after starting. Also when I checked the fuel pressure after shutting the car off it would leak down to 0 in about 20 minutes.

Pull the vaccuum line from the fuel pressure regulator to the Map sensor and check to see if there is gas in it. Thats what I had. The gas was leaking back into the intake and causing it to flood.

My Camaro runs perfect now.

Comment

i had that trouble with my firebird and it runs perfect now.. but i didnt change it out myself so i dont know how to help
            1999 Black Pontiac Firebird <br />2 Rockford Fosgate P312D4 subs <br />Hifonics Brutus 1205d amp<br />Clear Sidemarkers<br />18\" Arelli Jovan Chrome Wheels

Comment

OK here's what I did to replace my Fuel Pressure Regulator. It may not be the best way but it worked great for me. Just take your time. Apply PB Blaster to all of the nuts and bolts that you are removing.

1. Disconnect positive battery lead. (To be safe). With fuel sloshing around, one spark and you might have a fire.

2. Bleed off residual fuel pressure. I did this using the shrader valve on the fuel rail and I attached the fuel pressure guage and used the bleed off button.

3. Using compressed air blow off the fuel fittings and disconnect the quick connect fuel lines (2). I bought a cheap tool from Murray's Auto to do this.

4. Remove the spark plug wires from the coil packs. Pull the wires off the top of the intake and lay them aside. Be sure the label the wires for proper reaasembly.

5. Unbolt the coil pack mount with the 3 coil packs attached and lay it aside.

6. Unbolt the alternator and lay it aside. I unplugged the cable but left the big red wire attached.

7. Unplug the cable and remove the Map sensor and vacuum line to the Fuel pressure regulator. ( 2 torx bolts on the map sensor)

8. Slide the Evap canister purge solenoid out of the way. Also remove the line going to the intake.

9. Unplug all of the injectors wires and lay the connectors out of the way.

10. Remove the 4 nuts on the fuel rail.

11. Using compressed air blow off the dirt around the fuel injectors.

12. Carefully push up on the fuel rail and pop all the injectors out of the intake.

13. Remove the first injector from the fuel rail on the drivers side closest to the front of the car. There is a metal clip close to the rail on the injector that has to be pulled out to do this. You might have to retrieve the injector o-ring from the fuel rail after doing this. This can be done when the fuel rail is out.

14. Now wiggle the fuel rail with the remaining 5 injectors attached out of the car. Watch for fuel spilling.

15. The fuel pressure regulator can now be removed and is held in place by a snap ring. Be sure to replace the screen and o-ring ring when installing the new FPR.

16. Clean the injector holes in the intake with a rag. Apply light oil to the injector o-rings before reassembly.

17. Now reassemble everything in reverse order from step 14.

Hopefully I remembered everything but it is not too bad. If you like to work on your camaro then it will be OK. If you dont work on it too often then it will be trouble. Get some help.

Comment

You guys are awesome. Thank You

Comment

If car is taking a bit to start it could be
                  Fuel pump (the check ball is not stopping fuel from bleeding back to the tank)
                  Fuel pressure regulator or a leaky injector.

If your oil has a gasoline smell to it its the FPR or the leaky injector.

Also you can put a Full prssure testing on there and prime it and turn it off. The pressure should hold for 20 mins with really no drop, about a hour your probally see a few pressure drop.

Pull the vacuum line from the FPR see if there is fuel in it, if there is theres your culprit. If that isnt happen, then pull the fuel rail up with the injectors, prime it and see if any fuel leaks out of them. The last resort would be it bleeding back into the tank due to the check ball.

Hope that helps ya some too!
                  1999 Pontiac Trans Am M6 Far from stock.....
                  Pics http://rides.webshots.com/album/5599...Dk?vhost=rides

Comment

THis is mostly happening during cold starts or when the car has been sitting around for more than 10 hours. Other than that it's fine.

Walbro 255 is less than a year old and I already had my injectors cleaned 8 months ago. Fuel filter is only 3 months old. This problem only started this month.

I know for sure that the fuel is not reaching the injectors and the FP regulator is a very typical problem for the 3800 II engines. Normally on most cars the FP regulator would be trouble free.

Comment

Re: How do you change a Fuel Pressure Regulator on a 3.8

i'm about to do this.. first , i need to make sure it isn't my battery causing my car to be hard to start

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                        Had to get another phone
                        by ssms5411
                        Well my iPhone 11 Pro Max took a dump, it’s in a boot up loop, will try and get it fixed and give it to my mom. So I got a new iPhone 15 pro max, everything...
                        1 week ago
                      • ssms5411
                        Leaking front cover
                        by ssms5411
                        So I’m still leaking coolant, I think it’s my front cover, going to double check when it’s alittle warmer, got the Zzp extra thick timing cover...
                        2 weeks ago
                      • transamtom1
                        Went to look at 2002 V6 Firebird Vert.
                        by transamtom1
                        Local car on a small lot just over 100k mikes(178,000 kms)

Silver with grey leather and black top 3.8L for $5400 cdn or $3975 usd as is....
                        3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X