This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Factory Head Unit Lights

Here is how to replace those pesky bulbs that go out in the stock radio head.

Tools:
    7mm Ratchet
    Adjustable wrench
    (9) 50 mA 12V Light bulbs, Radio Shack part #272-1154
    Small flat head screwdriver
    Adjustable Vise grips
    Precision and patience
    Soldering iron (optional)

1.) Just in case, disconnect the negative battery terminal from the battery. Remove the dash cover off of the car. This is the easy part. It is one piece and just pulls out. Disconnect the SGS and Foglight wires from it, and set it aside.

2.) Remove the 7mm bolts from the stereo. There are 2 bolts for the Camaro's, 3 for the Firebirds I hear.

3.) Pull the radio out and remove the 3 plugs. The one on the left is the antenna. Just yank it out. The other two have buttons you push to pull out, kind of like the SGS and Foglight plugs.

It will come out this far. You need to get behind there to unplug the wires. If it is getting stuck, lift it up and give it a good yank. Trust me.

4.) Remove the 2 knobs on the radio. The volume knob has a washer under it, use the adjustable wrench to get it off.

5.) Remove the faceplate. Start on one side with the small screwdriver, and work your way around. Be careful not to break any of the tabs.

6.) Next you need to remove the tiny 8 bolts from the back of the circuit board. You need to be very careful here, and not scratch any of the embedded circuits, or you could have some problems.

7.) You should be able to set aside the face plate completely, and have the circuit board exposed. Here is a picture of what you will be working with.

***Note: It is best to replace all of the bulbs. You don't want to be doing this again later on down the road. I replaced just the bulb that was out, and when I tested it, the new bulb worked but all of the other ones went out. There are 9 bulbs total, I got them at Radio Shack for $1.40 per bulb.

8.) Remove all of the black bulbs. This can be done by prying them out with the vise grips, or pushing the backs of them out with some needle-nose plyers. You should remove 9 total. You can de-solder them if you are careful and gutsy.

9.) Put in the new bulbs. The new bulbs can be put in with or without soldering. I just put them in the holes and pushed through so that they fit n behind the circuit board. To keep them in, you can bend the leads so that they are held in, or solder them in and clip the leads.

The leads are spaced perfectly for the holes they go in, push carefully.

10.) Now would be a good time to see if all of the bulbs work. You don't have to put anything back together yet and I suggest you don't, in case some of the bulbs do not work. Just leave the stereo how it is, walk back out to the car, and plug the power cable back in. It is the one on the right, farthest from the antenna cable and closest to the passenger side. If all the bulbs work, you can put it all back together. If not, check the connections and try again. One bulb didn't work for me, and I touched it, moving it a little and it came on.

11.) Screw the bolts back in that connect the stereo to the face plate. Snap on the face plate to the stereo. Connect the cables again, and screw in the stereo. Replace the dash cover, remember to re-attatch the SGS and Fog light switches. Plug in the negative battery terminal and you are done.

[ February 12, 2005, 12:35 PM: Message edited by: Stefan ]
    2001 Black Z28 M6<br />Sprayed, slotted, geared and more~

In paragraph 6 you should say "circuit board" not "circuit bulbs".
    2002 Camaro Coupe<br />Navy Blue, A4, Y87<br />Whisper Lid, Raised Air Box<br />SLP Bow-Tie Grill, HPP3

Comment

Originally posted by Ex-5.0:
      In paragraph 6 you should say "circuit board" not "circuit bulbs".
      Fixed [img]smile.gif[/img]
      2001 Black Z28 M6<br />Sprayed, slotted, geared and more~

Comment

thanks you!!!
        that is awesome
        three of mine went out, looks dumb
        thanks again
        millionformarriage.org

Why stop people from getting married?

Comment

I always wanted to change the color of mine to match my cobalt blue gauges can that be done by this technique?
          2001 Pewder Firebird V6 A4 <br />Custom Turbo Kit Details On Site<br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/njp98\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/id/njp98</a> <br />Best 1/4 time NA - 15.224 seconds @ 87.55 MPH

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
            Hello everyone!
            by Andy H
            Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
            2 weeks ago
          • 3.4 slow to go
            hey there strangers!
            by 3.4 slow to go
            been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
            2 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
          Working...
          X