Functional Nostrils on the 98+ Firebird - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Functional Nostrils on the 98+ Firebird

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Functional Nostrils on the 98+ Firebird

Functional Nostrils on the 98+ Firebird

Here are the pics.

How to:</font>
    • With the hood closed, take a pencil and trace out the shape on the hood. I went back over it with a straight edge.</font>
    • Open hood and decide whether to cut one big hole on the backside or three like I did.</font>
    • Cover front of car with fender guards, because you don't want to rub up against metal shavings against you paint. Cover entire engine.</font>
    • Remove the Hood latch
      Time to cut. [img]smile.gif[/img]</font>
    • I used a pneumatic grinder with metal cutting disc. Slowly cut along the outline, making deeper passes each time. Take a break to let the disc cool, so it cuts better. I had a friend hold the hood down to a comfortable level.

For the back I removed my whole air box assembly and sat on the cross member while someone pulled the hood down on me. It made it easier but isn't necessary.

For some areas, I had to get a smaller diameter disc to get in the hard to reach areas.</font>
    • Reassemble like above</font>

I used a black duct tape like tape to temporarily clean up the cuts, but I am still looking for something else that will look more OEM. Like maybe a rubber seal, or something.

Only took me 2 hours, including air box lift.

I saw a how to a couple years ago, and then during auto shop, I took the grinder to my hood. I made it into a ram air-like hood. I know it is a minimal or no real ram, but there is a definite increase on acceleration above 50MPH. I'm sure I increased the cold air in the engine compartment. I also raised the air-box.With the hood closed, I can actually see most of the air filter.

Some other members have done the same and even added their own special touches.

clean2000birdv6 Added a screen and painted it as well for a cleaner OEM look.

and

Everglades Made some block off plates for the extra rainy drives:

http://reviews.firebirdv6.com/images/nostrils.jpg

Pros
    </font>
    • Almost FREE, depending on your tool resources</font>
    • More ambient airflow into air box,Same "ram" air effect as th "Ram Air Hood"</font>
    • Distinguished SOTP feel when pulling after 50MPH</font>
    Cons
    </font>
    • May look like a "ghetto" mod, if done sloppy</font>
    • Engine bay gets dirtier quicker</font>
    • May be dangerous to you and your hood if you make a mistake.</font>

[ February 12, 2005, 12:39 PM: Message edited by: Stefan ]
    Cardomain

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
    Had to get another phone
    by ssms5411
    Well my iPhone 11 Pro Max took a dump, it’s in a boot up loop, will try and get it fixed and give it to my mom. So I got a new iPhone 15 pro max, everything...
    1 week ago
  • ssms5411
    Leaking front cover
    by ssms5411
    So I’m still leaking coolant, I think it’s my front cover, going to double check when it’s alittle warmer, got the Zzp extra thick timing cover...
    2 weeks ago
  • transamtom1
    Went to look at 2002 V6 Firebird Vert.
    by transamtom1
    Local car on a small lot just over 100k mikes(178,000 kms)

Silver with grey leather and black top 3.8L for $5400 cdn or $3975 usd as is....
    3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
Working...
X