Inside: How to Install a Tranny Cooler on a 97 Bird - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Inside: How to Install a Tranny Cooler on a 97 Bird

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inside: How to Install a Tranny Cooler on a 97 Bird

I decided that maybe someone else would like to know the process since it isn't explained anywhere around here yet (Beware, this is a very dirty business, but it isn't all that hard):

1. Buy a good tranny cooler (mine is 21,000 gvw) and make sure it has attachments, hoses, and clamps. (4 to be exact)

2. Pull out the tool set including a ratchet, the necessary attachments, a hack saw (yes, you need one), and a screwdriver (phillips or flat depending on type of tip on the hose clamps.)

3. Pull off the black shroud covering the radiator and unbolt the splash guard under the car.

4. Attach a rather long piece of hose to each connector on each side of the tranny cooler and clamp them on tight before installing it.

5. Place the tranny cooler in front of the condensor on the far left side (if looking at the front of the car, the condensor is underneath the other plastic shroud, and is more easily accessed from underneath) and attach it firmly with the wires or bolts.

6. The tranny cooler should now be attached to the condensor and should have two hoses running straight down to the ground, one from each nozzle on the tranny cooler.

7. Locate the return line of the transmission. It comes from the cooler on the side of the radiator and goes under the engine. On the Firebird, this is right next to another line going towards the tranny as well. The correct line is metal with a small piece of hose clamped between it.

8. After you are sure you have found the correct return line, saw off the center piece containing the rubber hose AND its crimps holding it in place which leaves to perpendicular metal lines with about 6" between them which are open and may drip some tranny fluid if pointed downward. (About 1" of metal on each tip of the cut line is needed)

9. Attach the left hose of the tranny cooler to the first part of the return line (coming from the cooler on the radiator) and clamp it into place.

10. Attach the right hose of the tranny cooler to the second part of the return line (going to the tranny under the engine) and clamp it into place.

11. Start your engine to check for any leaks in the piping and feel the tubes to make sure the fluid is flowing through correctly. At an idle, the tubes should begin to warm up rather quickly so you know whether or not the fluid is flowing through.

12. Put your radiator shroud back into place and put your splash guard back on. The hoses will run between the metal frame and the splash guard under the car so pull the splash guard over the hoses and bolt down the last two holes and then one in the middle. Yes, two holes will be left unbolted but the splash guard will still be firmly in place and the hoses are covered from flying debris.

13. Enjoy your new tranny cooler! :D

I will get pictures very soon so I can submit the process to the modifications encyclopedia. Hope this helps!

[ March 27, 2002: Message edited by: cboney2000 ]</p>
    C. Boney<br />1997 Firebird 3.8L V6<br />---------------------<br />Modifications:<br /> <br /> SLP Cold Air Induction, Ported/Polished Throttle Body, Carsound 3\" High Flow Cat, Sweet Thunder 24\" Chambered Muffler, Removed Rear Exhaust Section, Custom Fan Switch, 35th Anniv. Silver Stripes, Old T/A-Style Silver Sail Birds

Here is a link with some pictures to go along with the instructions, in case people want some more info.

Trans Cooler

Comment

Has anybody figured out how to install a tranny cooler on a manual tranny? I know there is no kind of pump in a manual to pump the fluid, but has anyone tried it or have ideas? Would it even be benificial?

[img]graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]
      ~Derrick <a href=\"http://www.appstate.edu/~do54457/\" target=\"_blank\"><i>My Webpage</i></a><br /><b>\'96 3.8L V6 M5 Firebird Y87</b> | <b>162.8 RWHP</b> / <b>196.7 RWTQ</b> <br /><b>•</b> SLP CAI <b>•</b> <a href=\"http://tech.firebirdv6.com/y87.html\" target=\"_blank\"><b>Y87</b> Package</a> - 3.23s <b>•</b> 180º thermo w/ fan switch <b>•</b> TB spacer from DEE<br />1991 Jeep Cherokee Laredo 4x4

Comment

Unless you are racing One Lap of America or something don't worry about it on a manual. As a matter of fact i don't think a manual would need one at all?
        Hot Cammed LT1 Sleeper

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
          Hello everyone!
          by Andy H
          Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
          3 weeks ago
        • 3.4 slow to go
          hey there strangers!
          by 3.4 slow to go
          been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
          3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
        Working...
        X