Some pics from the Zexel LSD install - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Some pics from the Zexel LSD install

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some pics from the Zexel LSD install

Hey, its been awhile since I've posted on this forum. Used to hang out here alot just after I got the 2000 Camaro a couple years ago. Anyway, I'm back now and thought I'd post a couple pics of the Zexel LSD install I did last week.

I did alot of reading on this site trying to figure out what tools and stuff I needed to have on hand before tearing the rear end apart. Here's what I had.
    1. The diffy, of course. Since SLP is out of them now, I found one at a local F-Body graveyard. It came out of a totaled 2001 TransAm, with 250 (!) miles on it for $150. When they cracked the pumpkin open, the oil was still clean, as was the diffy itself. Have a look below. They also included the gear(which I didn't use),reluctor ring, races, and even the bearing caps and bolts.

2. A rear end cover gasket. Bought from a GM dealer, about 7$.

3. GM Limited Slip additive, also about 7$ for a little bottle. There seems to be differing thoughts on whether this additive is necessary, but considering how cheap it was, I figured it couldn't hurt to add it.

4. Two quarts of Mobil 1 synthetic 75w-90 gear oil. 8$ each.

----

First of all let me say that this was a pretty easy job to do. I was a little skeptical at tearing my car apart, but there really isn't much that you can mess up, except you have to be really careful not to bend or destroy the reluctor ring. I was fortunate in that the diffy I got had the ring already on it, so I didn't have to mess with that. Here's a little list of the steps to do this:

1. Jack up the car, remove the rear wheels. If you can't do this, well, you probably shouldn't tear apart your rear end. :D

2. Drop the track bar, the long bar that runs diagonally down from the frame to the driver's side rear wheel. Although a couple guys have removed their diffy with this in place, it gives you alot more room under there and only takes a couple extra minutes. Bolts are different sizes on either side, I remember I used 18mm and 21mm alot.

3. Unbolt the 10 screws that hold the differtial cover on. Unscrew each little bit, and carefully pry the cover away from the housing so that the old oil leaks out into a pan. By the way, it smells great. Once the oil is drained out, remove the cover.

4. You'll now see your open differential. There are four bolts you'll need to remove to get it out. Remove them, and keep them separated left and right. You'll now have this:

pic 1

pic 2

pic 3

You need to remove the C clips that hold the axles in. There is a little bolt (7 or 8mm) that runs inline with the direction of the axles, which holds a pinion shaft (looks like a round spacer) in place. That little bolt is TIGHT, so make sure you get a good grip on it with a six point socket--there's a good chance you could round it off if you use a twelve point. The spacer keeps the axles from coming together. I found that I had to remove the disc brake rotors to be able to push the axles in far enough for the C clips to drop out. You'll also have to remove the calipers to do this. Once the clips come out, remove them, keep them separated left and right (maybe not necessary, but can't hurt), and pull each axle out about a foot.

5. Now you have to pry the differential out. This is the part that I was most nervous about, but it wasn't really bad at all. I used a 2"x12"x3/4" piece of wood to pry it out. I worked from the driver's side, prying on the ring bolts, using the diffy casing as the fulcrum. Once it moved a bit, I would move to the other side and try to keep it straight as it came out. I had my dad help at this point, because as I was prying I didn't want the diffy to fall out on the floor. It took me about 15 min. to get it out, but I've heard of others almost literally falling out, or being REALLY tight. Keep an eye out for the spacers on each side of the differential. You can see them in the pictures aboe, they're about 8 or 9mm thick. Keep them separated left and right! This is important to preserve the right alignment between the ring and pinion gears once you reassemble it.

6. Next, with the open diffy out, I used an impact wrench to remove the 10 ring bolts from the gear. The gear is also tight up against the round casing, it took a bit of 'persuading' with a hammer to get it off after the bolts were removed. I used about 4 of the bolts screwed in about 1 turn to give me something to pound against. I wouldn't recommend this if you don't have replacement bolts as the threads get a little f@#$ed up. After a little hammering with a brass hammer, the ring gear fell off.

7. Ok, halfway done now. Bolt the ring gear onto the Zexel, torque to 95 ft/lbs. I also put a little blue loctite on each bolt just for extra fun.
    Here's mine:

pic 4

8. Carefully put the diffy back in the housing, after putting the races on the bearings. Put the driver's side spacer in (beveled edge OUTWARD) and put the zexel in place. Push it over toward the drivers' side. You can now start pushing in the passenger side spacer, mine only went in about 1/2" before it got too tight to push. I gently pounded on it with the brass hammer, using my wood prybar as a 'cushion'. After about 5 minutes of pounding, it was finally in. Put the bearing caps on, and bolt them down to 55 ft/lbs.

9. Insert the pinion shaft. The Zexel one is flat, not round. I had to wiggle the gears around a bit to get it to drop in. There is a diagonal slot in the spacer to allow oil to lubricate the ends of the axle. I put the diagonal edge facing down, that way when the car is moving forward, the diagonal channel will 'scoop up' the oil. Put the retaining bolt in to hold it in place. I used blue loctite here as well.

10. Put the axles in, put the disc brake rotor on. Bolt up the calipers.

pic 5

pic 6 (had to include this picture with my Dad's vette)

11. Clean off the differntial housing and the cover so the gasket can seal well. I used a scraping razor and a fine file to do this. I also used some silicon to help seal it. I bolted the cover on (15 ft/lbs.) and let it sit overnight to dry. The next morning, fill up the pumpkin first with the limited slip fluid, then about 1 1/2 quarts of the gear oil. Put the wheels back on, drop it down.

-----

A really nice mod, I could notice the difference immediately when I took it for a ride. The car felt entirely different, more stable and responsive. It is much more sure of itself in the rain now.

If I forgot anything, somebody please let me know and I'll edit this. Hope this helps somebody out there. Thanks to everyone on this site who posted information about this that helped me tackle this!

Peace
    Wozzeck

[ July 01, 2005, 12:55 PM: Message edited by: Wozzeck ]
    <b>2000 Camaro M5</b><br /><i>Whisper Lid, K&N Filter<br />B&M Ripper shifter<br />Zexel LSD<br />B&B Catback<br />Polished Engine Components, Polished Calipers<br />SFCs</i>

Good work and excellent write up! It really isn't that difficult to do if everything goes good (unlike mine: Pic 1 Pic 2 ).

Only things I see are:

Originally posted by Wozzeck:

2. Drop the track bar, the long bar that runs diagonally down from the frame to the driver's side rear wheel. I don't think the differntial could come out without removing this. Bolts are different sizes on either side, I remember I used 18mm and 21mm alot.
    It's a little bit of a fit, but you can easily get the diff in/out without remove the PHR.

Originally posted by Wozzeck:

I found that I had to remove the disc brake rotors to be able to push the axles in far enough for the C clips to drop out.
    I was able to push the axles in enough to remove the c clips with the discs on. Not sure why you had to take them off. However, you do have to remove the calipers so that you can pull the axles out far enough.
    Matt
    1998 Mystic Teal Camaro M5
    Whisper Lid, Pacesetter Headers, Catco Cat, Dynomax Super Turbo, B&M Shifter, BMR STB, LSD, P&P Intakes, GT2 Cam, Comp OE Lifters, 1.7 Roller Rockers, Pushrods, SSM Heads, DHP PowrTuner.

Comment

Thanks, hope it helps somebody out. The track bar was easy enough to remove with an impact wrench, and then it was easy to clean and paint it.
      Hmm, yeah I couldn't push the axles in far enough without removing the rotors. They came close, but the clips just wouldn't come out. After removing them the clips just fell out. Looks like your car gave you a tough time removing the retaining bolt. That sucker was tight!
      <b>2000 Camaro M5</b><br /><i>Whisper Lid, K&N Filter<br />B&M Ripper shifter<br />Zexel LSD<br />B&B Catback<br />Polished Engine Components, Polished Calipers<br />SFCs</i>

Comment

the round spacer is the pinion shaft...

and the bolt is the pinion shaft bolt. I think if it shoudl be mentioned to BE VERY CAREFUL WITH THAT BOLT!

as you can see Matt's little nightmare... I was turning it slowly and I started to round the bolt off. I had the right size socket and everything. I was worried I was gonna snap mine as well... I luckily was able to get a smaller socket and hammer it on and get the bolt out then.

But I wasa worreid I was gonna run into a problem like Matt did.

I also did not have to remove the panhard rod, I admit it was a tight fit. I had the frame jacked up and the rear sagged.

as for the C-clips I had a hard time doing it... but I was able to do it, I had to lay down, pull the brake rotor in with my foot to get the clips out. "might" have been easier with the rotors off though.

but overall a good write up [img]smile.gif[/img] happy 2 wheel squeling!
        -Eric<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/mustangeater82\" target=\"_blank\">2000 NBM V6 Camaro 5-speed</a> T-top <i>converted</i><br /><b>14.467@95.45mph</b> <i>$0 in mods</i><br /><i>The member formerly known as MustangEater8251</i>

Comment

PS looked like more fun doing it in your garage then when I did at midnight in a dirty *** aparment complex parking lot.

and when I started it was 60*, then some freak cold front came through and it got down to like 35*

always watch the weather channel before you work on your car outside for a few hours.
          -Eric<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/mustangeater82\" target=\"_blank\">2000 NBM V6 Camaro 5-speed</a> T-top <i>converted</i><br /><b>14.467@95.45mph</b> <i>$0 in mods</i><br /><i>The member formerly known as MustangEater8251</i>

Comment

Originally posted by shenanigans:

and when I started it was 60*, then some freak cold front came through and it got down to like 35*

always watch the weather channel before you work on your car outside for a few hours.
            Try instlling a cam during a hurricane. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
            Matt
            Whisper Lid, Pacesetter Headers, Catco Cat, Dynomax Super Turbo, B&M Shifter, BMR STB, LSD, P&P Intakes, GT2 Cam, Comp OE Lifters, 1.7 Roller Rockers, Pushrods, SSM Heads, DHP PowrTuner.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions....

editing.....editing.....

Comment

Now we just need someone to chime in on what's different for changing the gears at the same time and we'd have a nice sticky [img]smile.gif[/img]
                \'99 SSM Camaro V6 M5<br />(mod list on cardomain site; too long to list here)<br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/v6cam99\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/id/v6cam99</a>

Comment

Originally posted by 99v6cam:
                  Now we just need someone to chime in on what's different for changing the gears at the same time and we'd have a nice sticky [img]smile.gif[/img]
                  There's a website tutorial on how to do it, but it's not something you should do if you don't know what you're doing. You have to space those gears exactly or you'll either get tons of whine or just ruin the gears.
                  Matt

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                    Hello everyone!
                    by Andy H
                    Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                    3 weeks ago
                  • 3.4 slow to go
                    hey there strangers!
                    by 3.4 slow to go
                    been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                    3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X