This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pulling the tranny (5-speed)

So since I have some recent experience and alot of questions have been asked. Figure we coudl make a thread about pulling the 5-speed. Good to go over and read.

1st off.
    -Get a plug for the tail of the tranny, even though you drain the transmission you will not drain it all. You could also leave the driveshaft in but thats a pain in the butt. I got a plug with a transmission I got shipped from a junkyard in georgia.

-Alot of manuals talk about pulling the starter. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO. Its not terrible hard but your arm gets tired holding it up and lining the bolts up.

I think the reason it is listed is you need to remove the inspection cover(like 6 bolts) but you can only unbolt it, you cannot take it 100% off, because it goes around the starter, but once you pull the tranny out it will fall off. And when you put it back on you have to hang it on the starter. If you have to pull the flywheel, you might as well just take it off though.

-Buy a crapload of extensions for your sockets and some nice swivels. I got some impact wrench swivels at harbour freight for cheap, like $7.99 for 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2 drive, pretty sturdy too. It makes those hard to reach spots ALOT easier.

when you pull and put the tranny in keep an eye on the top of the bellhouseing, it will hit the transmission tunnel you have to lower and go back at the same time, and lift and go forward at the same time going forward.
    -Eric<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/mustangeater82\" target=\"_blank\">2000 NBM V6 Camaro 5-speed</a> T-top <i>converted</i><br /><b>14.467@95.45mph</b> <i>$0 in mods</i><br /><i>The member formerly known as MustangEater8251</i>

Get some pics posted and complete the writeup! This should be a sticky because everyone with a M/5 always asks about a clutch replacement.
    sigpic

Comment

My '96 M5 is still undergoing a clutch issue so this should be interesting but helpful at the same time.

I want to do it myself & save money like the next shadetree mechanic!
      Black \'96 RS Camaro, 3.8 V6 Series II, M5, Stock 200 HP, 204K miles! Stock \'91 Firebird 3.1 V6 automatic w/ overdrive. 266,400 miles on it. \'83 Pontiac Trans Am,305 LG4, Cowl Induction,Borg Warner 5 Speed,T-Tops,Gale Banks Exhaust System:$800 obo

Comment

Here is a quick right up on my 00 v6, I will go back over it sometme and touch it up a bit.

1st Jack the car up
        As high as you can get it, and put it on jackstands. I jacked mine up by the K-member. Then supported it by jackstands, then I jacked up the rear but I supported it by the frame not the rear end so the rear sagged down so I had more room to work.

2nd pull the exhaust/y-pipe
        I "believe" its 15mm(going by memory) for the factory colletors on a 99+ just follow the y-pipe up. Mine came off pretty easy but I can see these really getting stuck.

Then pull the little crossmember off from under the car(not the tranny, but the one behind that) Its 4 1/2 bolts.

Then underneath is the factory mount point, I believe the factory clamp is a 15mm. The exhaust should slide forward.

Then there is the factory hanger just behind the CAT, yo get it off remove the 2 bolts(15mm I think ) you won't be able to reach the top one with a traditional socket wrench unless you pull the post CAT O2 sensor. If you don't have or want to get a o2 socket, just use a flat wrench you can probably get it off without removing the 02 sensore.

Pull the entire section of exhaust.

3rd Drain the transmission
        Pretty simple pull the plug and drain the tranny, don't expect to get all the fluid out.

4th Pull the driveshaft
        If its a 2 piece you will need to unhook the4 center swing bearing from the torque arm. Then you undo the retaining caps on the rear pinion, then slide the driveshaft further into the tranny, then pulle the rear end of hte driveshaft out of the rear pinion and slide the entire thing all the way out.

Be prepared to have a little fluid come out. If you have a tranny plug you can put it in.

5th unhook the torque arm

There are 2 ways to do this

1st unhook the torque arm from the tail of the tranny. The bolts are in bad spots, especially the one just on the inside of the Tranny counterweight.

2nd way. I unhooked it at the diff. 2 long big nut/bolts (I think they are 17 or 19 mm? Pretty big) Then unhook the torque arm from the diff.

I did it this way and it this way and it came out fine, no problems, left the torque arm unhooked. I have had to deal with the clamshell and the torque arm before as well as when I replaced my tranny, it kind of sucks.

6th Unhook the clutch hydraulic lines
        Not sure on older cars but on newer 98-02 ther eis a quick disconnect. You can buy the GM factory tool, or I just used 2 flathead screwdrivers and pushed down on it and popped it loose.

7th Remove the inspection shield
        The inspection shield is on the front of the tranny, on the bellhousing betweein the tranny and oil pan.

It is like 5-7 botls, 10 mm I believe. It will not come all the way off, as it goes around the starter motor.

8th Removing the starter

I didn't remove the starter last time I pulled the tranny, if you pull the flywheel I woudl suggest pulling the starter.

Now to removing the starter, first thing, unhook the battery, I know books say unhook the battery but actually do it.

Now remove the starter heat shield it has 3 retaining bolts, one on the bottom, on side, one on the top(hard to see)

now you can see the wiring, I just unhooked one of the smaller wires, the other larger wire has more slack I left it.

Then there are 2 main bolts that hold it on, one you need a deep socket for, pull the bolts, then pull the starter out. The time I pulled it I hung it with a rigged coat hanger.

9th Pull the shifter
        Get inside the car, basically pull the center console out, its tricky getting it around the shifter but not too bad.

Then pull the 4 I believe 13mm bolts from the shifter and pop it out.

10th unhook tranny sensors and wireing
        wiring for the O2 sensor is attached to the tranny as well as the VSS and another sensor, pull them all and unhook the wiring that runs down the side of them, and put them to the side.

11th unhooking transmission
        1st jack up the transmission with a jack

Unhook the bottom nut on the tranny mount. Then pull the transmission crossmember, and set it aside.

Then unhook the two side mounts to the tranny bellhousing. I woudl loosen the bolts on engine block side of the brackets to give you more "play" to move the tranny.

Now its time to get to work on the bellhousing bolts. One of the bolts is a through bolt with a nut, the others bolt into the engine block itself.

As for the top bolts you will probably need a couple extensions and a swivel to get them out, you will need to have your wrench extended to nearly the tail of the tranny to get a good angle.

12th Pulling the transmission
        With all the bolts pulled and the Jack under the sort of middle of the tranny. Start to pull the jack back. You will have to pull it out, and sort of drop it a little each time. The Transmission tunnel gets in the way of the bellhousing as you pull it out. Look closely at the input shaft and you can see it come put and clear the clutch.

Some pry bars, and pry bars help alot getting the tranny the first bit out. Remember to pull it side to side as you take it out so it doesn't bind up.

[ January 03, 2006, 10:25 PM: Message edited by: shenanigans ]
        -Eric<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/mustangeater82\" target=\"_blank\">2000 NBM V6 Camaro 5-speed</a> T-top <i>converted</i><br /><b>14.467@95.45mph</b> <i>$0 in mods</i><br /><i>The member formerly known as MustangEater8251</i>

Comment

exhaust removal wasn't necessary on mine.

set a bead of rtv around the shift plate before installation.

also, you will have to get some hose to refill the tranny once you put it back in...that is unless u have some way to pump it in.
          1998 Chevrolet Camaro L36 M5<br />1982 Toyota Celica Supra 7MGTE project car - FOR SALE<br /><br />\"I find the most sensual part of the woman is the boobies.\" - Zap Brannigan

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• 3.4 slow to go
            hey there strangers!
            by 3.4 slow to go
            been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
            7 hours ago
          • ssms5411
            Had to get another phone
            by ssms5411
            Well my iPhone 11 Pro Max took a dump, it’s in a boot up loop, will try and get it fixed and give it to my mom. So I got a new iPhone 15 pro max, everything...
            1 week ago
          • ssms5411
            Leaking front cover
            by ssms5411
            So I’m still leaking coolant, I think it’s my front cover, going to double check when it’s alittle warmer, got the Zzp extra thick timing cover...
            2 weeks ago
          • transamtom1
            Went to look at 2002 V6 Firebird Vert.
            by transamtom1
            Local car on a small lot just over 100k mikes(178,000 kms)

Silver with grey leather and black top 3.8L for $5400 cdn or $3975 usd as is....
            3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
          Working...
          X