Twist on Power Antenna Mod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Twist on Power Antenna Mod

The usual power antenna mod involves putting a switch in the pink wire that feeds the antenna up/down relay. With this setup, the feed to the antenna relay can be "opened" keeping the antenna down for listening to CD's or MP3 where an antenna is not needed.

I wanted this functionality, but also the ability to leave the antenna in the "up" position when the car is shut off. Turns out its not difficult to do. This is how I did the project:

Put a three position switch in the center console (on-off-on). Each feed (two of them) from the switch controls a relay spliced into the pink antenna feed. One relay opens the antenna feed when the switch in in the first On position. This shuts the antenna off so turning on the power head will not raise the antenna. The other On position runs the second relay. The second relay opens the pink antenna feed, cutting it off from the powerhead, but also feeds 12v into the antenna feed, manually raising the antenna. As long as the switch is in the second On position, the antenna stays raised, even if the car is shut off.

All the parts to do this project were already in my workshop. But if you had to buy the relays and switch, the cost would be about $15.

I could have just done the usual "keep antenna down" mod, but I figured while I was at it, adding a couple of relays only added a little more time to the project.

Now if the car is going to be left outdoors when its snowing, the antenna can be left in the up position to prevent strain on the antenna motor/drive. Also, the antenna can be left up on days when the car will be running errands to help prevent wear and tear on the antenna motor/drive. Its not for everyone, but it was fun. Would have been more fun if it wasn't 15* in the garage!
    Last edited by Mark42; 01-03-2010, 07:03 PM.

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
    Hello everyone!
    by Andy H
    Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
    3 weeks ago
  • 3.4 slow to go
    hey there strangers!
    by 3.4 slow to go
    been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
    3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
Working...
X